Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 269

Thread: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

  1. #241
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No one is saying that they sat on their asses, my mother certaintly didnt. But Women who go out and strive to be successful should be encouraged and appluaded for their ambition/ drive to provide for their family.
    What makes you think the speaker didn't do just that? He said, to paraphrase - if you choose to work, God bless you in that.

    He didn't denigrade that. What he did do is encourage, challenge, young people to ignore the current social pressure to have a career and make scads of money and have lots of material wealth and buck the trend and see being a great wife and mother or a great husband and father as being spectacular achievements as well. Just because you encourage in one direction doesn't mean you're denigrading another.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #242
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    Really. Suppose you clue is in as to his wording about that since you know so much.
    I'll paraphrase and let you do your own research if you want more - he encouraged young men not to be consumed by being a successful entrepreneur, making millions, and encouraged them to be great husbands and fathers who protect and provide for their family.

    His message, in its entirety, was basically not to be consumed by material wealth and to see the value in being the best spouse and parent you can be and not make those secondary to successful careers and money.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #243
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    Really. Suppose you clue is in as to his wording about that since you know so much.
    Why don't you go back and read the thread, all this has been discussed, asked and answered.

  4. #244
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'll paraphrase and let you do your own research if you want more - he encouraged young men not to be consumed by being a successful entrepreneur, making millions, and encouraged them to be great husbands and fathers who protect and provide for their family.

    His message, in its entirety, was basically not to be consumed by material wealth and to see the value in being the best spouse and parent you can be and not make those secondary to successful careers and money.
    I don't do your research. You paraphrasing is worthless for credibilities' sake. .

  5. #245
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    I don't do your research. You paraphrasing is worthless for credibilities' sake. .
    Ah, using the defense of laziness and ignorance are you. Noted.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #246
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    I don't do your research. You paraphrasing is worthless for credibilities' sake. .
    You apparently didn't read the thread either. Come on back when you have. Until then your comments are worthless.

  7. #247
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What makes you think the speaker didn't do just that? He said, to paraphrase - if you choose to work, God bless you in that.

    He didn't denigrade that. What he did do is encourage, challenge, young people to ignore the current social pressure to have a career and make scads of money and have lots of material wealth and buck the trend and see being a great wife and mother or a great husband and father as being spectacular achievements as well. Just because you encourage in one direction doesn't mean you're denigrading another.
    True to the first part.

    What's irritating is that the average working mother will not be seeking out scads of money - she will struggle to balance career and motherhood to simply cover the basic bills. Very few enter into the higher end of the working field - in part because that takes time to climb *up* to - and by that point many hard working mothers don't have young children at home.

    A lot of women stay at home for those first few years - OR - build a career, put it on hold to raise a family - then change, again, back to career when their kids are older.

    For an educated man - he doesn't seem to understand this at all. (orator - not fellow poster)

    My niece is 3 - She's precocious, bossy, thorough, exceptionally smart, and organized . . . my sister has always been a successful business woman - and her husband struggled with his choice to be an architect. So he works part time - stays at home mostly with my niece . . . and my sister works 24/7

    My niece hasn't suffered in the least - and she never will.

    The best family is the one who puts the parent's ideal talents and skills to maximum use to make it and support their children.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-06-13 at 02:12 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #248
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    True to the first part.

    What's irritating is that the average working mother will not be seeking out scads of money - she will struggle to balance career and motherhood to simply cover the basic bills. Very few enter into the higher end of the working field - in part because that takes time to climb *up* to - and by that point many hard working mothers don't have young children at home.

    A lot of women stay at home for those first few years - OR - build a career, put it on hold to raise a family - then change, again, back to career when their kids are older.

    For an educated man - he doesn't seem to understand this at all. (orator - not fellow poster)
    That's fair comment - and as a social studies teacher, likely with a lot of the "soft" sciences in his background, I think he's more interested in the spiritual and social aspects of the students' lives and not so much the day to day struggles of life's realities. Commencement speeches are supposed to be more inspirational and aspirational rather than detailed. But I get your point.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #249
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    From the OP:

    “It was good that he said that,” junior Marina Swaggerty told WRTV. “Parents need to be there for their kids. Lately people are getting too into their jobs and not caring enough about their kids, and they are failing through high school.”

    The junior’s mother, Lisa Swaggerty, told the Indianapolis ABC affiliate that she understood Heck to be calling for a balance between career and family.

    Other audience members reacted negatively to the remarks.

    “It jumped out at me that he said they shouldn’t pursue a professional career,” junior Corey Parton told WRTV. “Maybe that’s not how he meant it. Maybe he does want women to be successful and get a college degree, but it was a little out of place.”

    Another student added that his grandmother was particularly offended.
    It seems the audience had the same diversity of take aways as we have had here. Seems about right for a commencement address. In fact, from all the ones I've heard myself over the years I'd say this is about the standard reaction.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No one is saying that they sat on their asses, my mother certaintly didnt. But Women who go out and strive to be successful should be encouraged and appluaded for their ambition/ drive to provide for their family.
    And stay at home moms should not be demeaned when they are doing the most important job there is. People should also not consider them as lacking ambition when they is other activities outside of a job that one can be showing a strong desire to achieve.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •