Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 269

Thread: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

  1. #161
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Doesn't the bolded kind of prove his point? There is nothing wrong with being old fashioned generally speaking. We don't all have to live by the new ways of thinking and it might just be the old way is better. Since being old fashioned these days is thought of as politically incorrect, I'm sorry, but you just proved his point.
    At some point it'd be really nice if conservatives figured out that they're the only people bringing up political correctness as if it matters. My concerns have nothing to do with political correctness, so to the extent that you're commenting on it, you're not understanding what I'm saying. My concerns have to do with 1) the factual inaccuracy of the statement, and 2) the underlying misogyny which is, in fact, archaic. There's nothing wrong with being old fashioned in theory. There are plenty of things wrong with quite a lot of old fashioned thinking to the extent that it's bigoted, misogynistic, etc.

    So no, I really didn't prove his point, you've misunderstood mine.

  2. #162
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Fewer of us (by far) grew up in an urban environment back then. The only thing the majority of American teens would have known about that crap is what we learned when we went to see West Side Story at a local theatrical production.
    IOW, CJ was wrong to blame the times for the ills he spoke of because those ills are associated with urban living, and not the morality of a certain time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #163
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    [QUOTE=CanadaJohn;1061889701]Talk about tripe - that misses the point of the speaker's comments entirely.[/QUOTE


    I was talking about you lot not the OP, please read.
    ĎThis is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.í (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #164
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, CJ was wrong to blame the times for the ills he spoke of because those ills are associated with urban living, and not the morality of a certain time period.
    Not necessarily, even in the urban environment then that behavior wasn't the norm. Also could be that rural families stuck together more than urban families did. Or any combination of all those factors.

  5. #165
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not necessarily, even in the urban environment then that behavior wasn't the norm. Also could be that rural families stuck together more than urban families did. Or any combination of all those factors.
    No one said it ever was the norm.

    And there's been plenty of teen violence in rural areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    At some point it'd be really nice if conservatives figured out that they're the only people bringing up political correctness as if it matters. My concerns have nothing to do with political correctness, so to the extent that you're commenting on it, you're not understanding what I'm saying. My concerns have to do with 1) the factual inaccuracy of the statement, and 2) the underlying misogyny which is, in fact, archaic. There's nothing wrong with being old fashioned in theory. There are plenty of things wrong with quite a lot of old fashioned thinking to the extent that it's bigoted, misogynistic, etc.

    So no, I really didn't prove his point, you've misunderstood mine.
    There is nothing bigoted about his statement. Try again.

    I'm sorry, but when you used the word archaic you did not make any sort of effort to put any importance on exactly what it might be. That is not my mistake, but yours.

    Btw, the only reason any of this matters to anyone ever is political correctness.

  7. #167
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Not so much, no. As I've explained numerous times, there are any number of career paths women can have that will result in her having a much larger impact on the world than she would by raising children.



    Biology won't necessarily win here, but a career in biology (or chemistry, or physics) might:

    Marie Curie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Tell you what - why don't you take your argument back to the 1950's where it belongs, and let the rest of us enjoy the modern world, m'kay?
    Why are there men and women if both can fill all roles equally with the exception of having children?

    Were the "traditional" roles actually based upon needs and developed over the whole period of human evolution, or do you see them as just made up bs to oppress women throughout history?

    Currently, the approximately 1 Billion in the first world is seeing reduction in populations (except US which is actually being driven upwards by immigration) but they control a huge amount of resources. In the end, what is the likely evolutionary results if the other 6 Billion continue on as the have been and we don't keep up our population? How long will we have those resources?

    Our technologies and our cultural is based upon individuals, if women are seeking to be CEOs and not raising their children correctly or not having any at all, how long can our society remain at such a pinnacle? Are we not already seeing a massive impact from the fracturing of traditional families? A lack of discipline necessary for individuals to achieve their potentials? Do we not already have shortages in educated fields because not enough "Americans" seek out and achieve the skills necessary to fill those positions?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Both parents have an obligation to care for their kids. It was a stupid and sexist remark.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Interesting that you manage to say there is nothing wrong with it but turn around in the same sentence and accuse them of lacking ambition. While some of your words seem to support the idea of a stay at home mom, the whole tone of your post seems to insinuate that any woman who does so is lazy and stupid, so which is it?
    where did I say they lack ambition? Working mums have MORE ambition which is self evident.
    ĎThis is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.í (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    where did I say they lack ambition? Working mums have MORE ambition which is self evident.
    You're still wrong.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •