Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 269

Thread: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm not going to get into a hissy fit with you - until you came along I was debating the content of the OP and the main issue with people who had different views - you're original post began "oh please" and your second post began "his comments on men don't do anything" - that's some counter argument you tossed out. Don't expect me to counter your nonsense or take you seriously and if it makes you feel superior to claim victory then, congrats, you're king/queen of the playground - trophy's in the mail.

    Have a good night and take care.
    Okay, I get it. You need to be coddled. I'll coddle you then and see if you can scrounge up an honest response.

    Listen, CJ, you are a really smart guy and I love reading your posts because they really teach me a lot about life. I see your point and everything, but I happened to notice that in the article posted by the OP, the speaker in question says the following: “I was addressing both the ladies in the audience and the men, stressing to them that the most important role any of us will ever have is the role that we play in our families,” he told WRTV. “I challenged the men by telling them that, to solve the problems of our society, we don’t need more millionaire entrepreneur men. We need more men acting as fierce defenders of their wives and providers for their children.”

    It sounds to me like he's doing exactly what people have been claiming he's doing: perpetuating gender stereotypes. That would mean that your original analysis was, despite being quite revolutionary, inaccurate. What do you think about that, sir? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

  2. #122
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Okay, I get it. You need to be coddled. I'll coddle you then and see if you can scrounge up an honest response.

    Listen, CJ, you are a really smart guy and I love reading your posts because they really teach me a lot about life. I see your point and everything, but I happened to notice that in the article posted by the OP, the speaker in question says the following: “I was addressing both the ladies in the audience and the men, stressing to them that the most important role any of us will ever have is the role that we play in our families,” he told WRTV. “I challenged the men by telling them that, to solve the problems of our society, we don’t need more millionaire entrepreneur men. We need more men acting as fierce defenders of their wives and providers for their children.”

    It sounds to me like he's doing exactly what people have been claiming he's doing: perpetuating gender stereotypes. That would mean that your original analysis was, despite being quite revolutionary, inaccurate. What do you think about that, sir? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
    I think that's your view, your interpretation of his words, because you come from a certain perspective in life and that's fair - I see it differently, as I've stated before - I see him challenging young women not to accept today's stereotype that a stay at home wife and mom is a lesser person than a business woman or CEO and I see him saying to young men that success in business, making more money than you actually need in life, isn't as important as being there for your wife and family, protecting them and providing for them.

    Some people see that is being a devolution to the troglodytes - I see it as a clarion call to young people to forego some of the materialistic aspects of 21st century life and get back to what's important in a person's development and contribution to society.

    Is a lack of stay at home moms and family invested dads the only problem in western society today - hell no - but it damn well sure is one of the problems with society today. I'm old enough to know that in my youth, teens killing teens was unheard of - teens having no appreciation or sense of value for life was unheard of - teens disrespecting older people was rare but virtually unheard of - and in my view one of the biggest contributors to this is young people and teens not having role models in their homes who mold and teach their children how to be productive, contributing, respected members of society.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #123
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So you're the prototypical "a woman's place is in the home, cooking, cleaning, barefoot, and pregnant" type of girl ???
    Liked because that's the most amazingly bone-headed thing I've seen anyone say to Maggie since someone accused her of being a Democrat.


    ...“I challenge you to devote yourself to your families and your children. If you choose to have a career, God’s blessings upon you,” Heck orated.
    Funny how everyone who is so quick to Get So's Upset Oh Yes So's Upset And Mortified And Offended, So Offended At The Offensiveness is also so quick to gloss over this part.

    “But I challenge you to recognize what the world scoffs at, that your greatest role in your life will be that of wife and mother. The greatest impact you could ever contribute to our world is a loving investment in the lives of your precious children. To solve the problems plaguing our society, we don’t need more women CEOs. We need more women as invested mothers.”...
    He's absolutely right. Society doesn't suffer from a lack of companies whose boss has a vagina (and to suggest so is, frankly, sexist - if you believe it doesn't matter what the genitalia is, then guess what, you don't get to complain when the genitalia isn't what you'd prefer). Society suffers from a severe lack of adequate parenting.

    I also don't know if he mentioned it, but the main driver behind our lack of invested mothers is absent fathers. Being a dad is more important than hanging out with your buddies and playing video games at 3 a.m., or your preferred party lifestyle, and the prevalence of young men in our society who don't get that is (frankly) devastating.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Okay, I get it. You need to be coddled. I'll coddle you then and see if you can scrounge up an honest response.

    Listen, CJ, you are a really smart guy and I love reading your posts because they really teach me a lot about life. I see your point and everything, but I happened to notice that in the article posted by the OP, the speaker in question says the following: “I was addressing both the ladies in the audience and the men, stressing to them that the most important role any of us will ever have is the role that we play in our families,” he told WRTV. “I challenged the men by telling them that, to solve the problems of our society, we don’t need more millionaire entrepreneur men. We need more men acting as fierce defenders of their wives and providers for their children.”

    It sounds to me like he's doing exactly what people have been claiming he's doing: perpetuating gender stereotypes. That would mean that your original analysis was, despite being quite revolutionary, inaccurate. What do you think about that, sir? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
    I think you could give a crap about gender stereotypes. I think because you are all about the gays that you are upset because you see it as a backhanded way of telling gays they do not matter as much because most of them will never have kids.

  5. #125
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Is a lack of stay at home moms and family invested dads the only problem in western society today - hell no - but it damn well sure is one of the problems with society today. I'm old enough to know that in my youth, teens killing teens was unheard of - teens having no appreciation or sense of value for life was unheard of - teens disrespecting older people was rare but virtually unheard of - and in my view one of the biggest contributors to this is young people and teens not having role models in their homes who mold and teach their children how to be productive, contributing, respected members of society.
    Ignorance is bliss

    1954 Red Wings & Fordham Baldies | New York City Fighting Gangs

    50 years of West Side Story: the real Gangs of New York - Telegraph
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #126
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If you think that is the reason why people are pissed off at this guy then you just don't get it.

    A woman's role is whatever she wants it to be, there is nothing wrong with equality in the work force, there is nothing wrong with women being CEO's, and there is nothing wrong with not having kids, or getting married if you don't want too.

    Women should be free to choose, and have the same opportunities as men, not be pigeonholed into a life they may not want.
    And don't forget - there's nothing wrong with stay-at-home fathers and/or men/fathers being the care-takers of the children while mom/ladies are off being the bread-winners and financial providers of the family.

    Parents HAVE to be better parents. It's not the female's job alone. A great stay-at-home mother combined with a totally disconnected and absent father isn't going to "save society".

    If the moron speech-giver wanted to present an idea about priorities for those having children, he should have addressed everyone, both male and female.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Liked because that's the most amazingly bone-headed thing I've seen anyone say to Maggie since someone accused her of being a Democrat.
    I didn't "say" anything to her. I was asking for clarification. See the many question marks in my comment? They are there for a reason.

    I was shocked at her initial response and was asking for a better answer. She obviously understood since she then provided a much clearer and more concise answer.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I think you could give a crap about gender stereotypes. I think because you are all about the gays that you are upset because you see it as a backhanded way of telling gays they do not matter as much because most of them will never have kids.
    LOL, wut?

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I think that's your view, your interpretation of his words, because you come from a certain perspective in life and that's fair - I see it differently, as I've stated before - I see him challenging young women not to accept today's stereotype that a stay at home wife and mom is a lesser person than a business woman or CEO and I see him saying to young men that success in business, making more money than you actually need in life, isn't as important as being there for your wife and family, protecting them and providing for them.

    Some people see that is being a devolution to the troglodytes - I see it as a clarion call to young people to forego some of the materialistic aspects of 21st century life and get back to what's important in a person's development and contribution to society.

    Is a lack of stay at home moms and family invested dads the only problem in western society today - hell no - but it damn well sure is one of the problems with society today. I'm old enough to know that in my youth, teens killing teens was unheard of - teens having no appreciation or sense of value for life was unheard of - teens disrespecting older people was rare but virtually unheard of - and in my view one of the biggest contributors to this is young people and teens not having role models in their homes who mold and teach their children how to be productive, contributing, respected members of society.
    If it was merely an example of someone advising people to forego materialism and value the importance of family, then he would have told the young men in the audience that they ought to value being stay at home dads and he would have told young women that they ought to consider being the provider and protector of the family. He did not do that. He encouraged both men and women in the audience to occupy their traditional gender roles: woman as caretaker and man as protector/provider. Those are stereotypical gender roles. They are rooted in traditional ideas of what male and female roles are and they completely ignore the reality that men can be caretakers while women can be protectors and providers.

    If someone wants to argue that motherhood and fatherhood are more important than work and business, then that's fine. In that case, tell women and men that they have the choice between staying at home with their children or being the providers and protectors of their children. Once you limit men to the role of provider/protector and women to the role of stay at home mom, you're doing more than encouraging people to value their roles as parents, you're perpetuating gender stereotypes. That isn't something I just see because "I come from a certain perspective." That's what is happening.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    And don't forget - there's nothing wrong with stay-at-home fathers and/or men/fathers being the care-takers of the children while mom/ladies are off being the bread-winners and financial providers of the family.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you as completely as possible. While Men do play a vital role in raising children, it is not as the primary care-giver and attendant. It is much more as the Authority Figure and the Disciplinarian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Parents HAVE to be better parents. It's not the female's job alone. A great stay-at-home mother combined with a totally disconnected and absent father isn't going to "save society".
    We are 100% in agreement on this. Both parents play critical roles in the development and education of children. Where we seem to disagree is on the idea that the roles of Nurturer and Authority Figure are interchangeable between the mother and Father.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    If the moron speech-giver wanted to present an idea about priorities for those having children, he should have addressed everyone, both male and female.
    It would seem that he did, at least to some degree. Probably not as clearly defined as might have been desired, but at least it seems they were both mentioned.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •