Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 901

Thread: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

  1. #841
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    God is eternal, the Creator. He is not finite and thus has no beginning or end. We are finite, all we know is the finite and thus all we can truly comprehend are finite principals. To us everything must have had a beginning and should have an end. In the physical finite universe this is true, but this does not apply to the infinite like God.
    IOW, God doesn't need a Creator...

    but the universe does!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #842
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, God doesn't need a Creator...

    but the universe does!!
    Because the universe is finite, it's physical and by scientific law we know that matter and energy can neither be created or destroyed.

  3. #843
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Because the universe is finite, it's physical and by scientific law we know that matter and energy can neither be created or destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #844
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    For tax paying entities. But when a Church accepts tax exemptions they also the rules of the exemption and that preferential treatment.
    The rules for religions are different than the rules for other types of non-profits, they are in a separate class. Religions have virtually no obligations in return for their tax exempt status. One of the few restrictions they have for their tax exempt status is limits of election related advocacy. Per the first amendment, religions shouldn't be required to do anything (within reason) inconsistent with their religion.

    However, in my opinion, their tax status should be the same as other organizations that exist primarily for the benefit of their members, such as country clubs and social clubs and they should be free to get involved in elections without restrictions.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 06-04-13 at 05:03 PM.

  5. #845
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    " Any supernatural theory of life raises a huge number of questions that no one can answer."

    Hmmm....sounds.....just like the huge number of questions as to who/what originally created all these minerals, the gases, the sun for energy... where did all this, not even worrying about achieving exactly the right conditions for this primordial soup to then brew up life from nothing [if it wasn't rocks, something not alive "decided" to become alive], come from? If you can answer that it was...ta da! .... just there... well, how is that any more scientific than god was just there? It isn't. So, please at least know your place in the pecking order... which may be no lower, certainly no higher.

    To an inquiring scientific mind, all the questions I ask should be valid... to those who just want to ignore one of the major possibilities, well, that seems even less scientific. Where did DNA come from? The will to survive, what is the science behind that, is there some imperative or was that just accidental as well? All these accidents, and so many more, just happened... after taking into consideration that all these materials came from where, again? All pertinent unless being of the so many who want to just ignore, put hands over eyes and ears, yet, wonder of wonders, somehow for some reason, not over the mouth.
    Science has theories on the origins of planets and stars, which is the big bang theory. I'm not aware of any theories that explain anything before the big bang, but I'm sure that some researchers and theorists are investigating those questions.

    There are thousands of religions with theories on the origins of the universe and/or our planet. I don't know of any good reason to start investigating any or all of them since there pretty surely were no eye witnesses and there is no evidence suggesting that any one belief is supported by known facts.

  6. #846
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Threads like this always make me shake my head. It's amazing to me how diluted our society's understanding of exactly what religion is.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #847
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Where did God come from? Who/what originally created God?

    God came from where, again?
    Thanks... for not answering my questions, not possible, no provable answers exist...would have tried to clobber me with answers if in your possession... instead we have glaring, blinking neon absences, post after post laying out the dilemma for your side. For both sides, actually. However, mine understands that ours are beliefs, beliefs about what is a faith story , we admit it. So...

    You asked me the correct reciprocal questions, though, which I also cannot answer...neither side can...

    ...proving my point precisely, yet better than me just explaining it alone, so thanks. Neither side has a corner on the answers to those...this being the impasse, the logjam, quandary leading ultimately to our current quagmire.



    Now, this was either a eureka!! moment, with many lights, old news photog-like, exploding flash bulbs going off all over, bringing with them cascading insights...or was it more of the just ho-hummishness, a yeah yeah... ---'cause you already knew, just doing the obligatory hide job, best you could, long as you could?

    Not that we'll ever get answers to those, either...

    Ahhhh....Slanting more towards evening here, anything dawning over there, yet?

  8. #848
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Science has theories on the origins of planets and stars, which is the big bang theory. I'm not aware of any theories that explain anything before the big bang, but I'm sure that some researchers and theorists are investigating those questions.

    There are thousands of religions with theories on the origins of the universe and/or our planet. I don't know of any good reason to start investigating any or all of them since there pretty surely were no eye witnesses and there is no evidence suggesting that any one belief is supported by known facts.
    Oh sure there are lots of "scientists" coming up with new theories all the time, just like religions do/have done. So we are in agreement that both are just belief systems.

    Now that is progress.

  9. #849
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The rules for religions are different than the rules for other types of non-profits, they are in a separate class. Religions have virtually no obligations in return for their tax exempt status. One of the few restrictions they have for their tax exempt status is limits of election related advocacy. Per the first amendment, religions shouldn't be required to do anything (within reason) inconsistent with their religion.
    Fine by me. Hope they don't expect to be covered by public services like police and fire that they decide not to pay for.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #850
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,461

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    No it does not!

    Where I come from dating means spending more time with someone you like. Spending more time with someone you like is not sexualizing anything. When kids say they're dating at that age it means they're holding hands on the playground or pushing each other on the swing set.

    I read a 'dear abby' letter a little while back from a nine year old who was upset that all of her friends were dating and she wasn't.

    The point of all this is that a lot of kids at that age have some sense of whether they want to hold Jack or Jill's hand on the playground.
    That's just it. The kids don't say they are dating at that age. That is your word.

Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •