Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 901

Thread: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

  1. #821
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Depends on what you mean by electioneering.

    A minister MAY INDEED exhort the congregation to vote for principle.

    A minister may run for office on a compatible to religion platform.

    No body is allowed to engineer elections, if THAT is your meaning of electioneering?


    So, you have an imaginary friend. I'm guessing you think that's cool because of all the collectivist support you receive from others in the same "bag".........................

  2. #822
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Depends on what you mean by electioneering.

    A minister MAY INDEED exhort the congregation to vote for principle.

    A minister may run for office on a compatible to religion platform.

    No body is allowed to engineer elections, if THAT is your meaning of electioneering?
    It is in the tax code for 591 c3s

    Political activity [edit]
    Section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from supporting political candidates, and are subject to limits on lobbying. They risk loss of tax exempt status if these rules are violated.[30][31]
    Elections [edit]
    Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are prohibited from conducting political campaign activities to intervene in elections to public office.[32] The Internal Revenue Service website elaborates upon this prohibition as follows:
    Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.
    Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.
    On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.
    The Internal Revenue Service provides resources to exempt organizations and the public to help them understand the prohibition. As part of its examination program, the IRS also monitors whether organizations are complying with the prohibition.
    Lobbying [edit]
    In contrast to the absolute prohibition on political campaign interventions by all section 501(c)(3) organizations, public charities (but not private foundations) may conduct a limited amount of lobbying to influence legislation. Although the law states that "No substantial part..." of a public charity's activities can go to lobbying, charities with large budgets may lawfully expend a million dollars (under the "expenditure" test), or more (under the "substantial part" test) per year on lobbying.[33] To clarify the standard of the "substantial part" test, Congress enacted 501 (h) (called the Conable election after its author, Representative Barber Conable). The section establishes limits based on operating budget that a charity can use to determine if it meets the substantial test. This changes the prohibition against direct intervention in partisan contests only for lobbying. The organization is now presumed in compliance with the substantiality test if they work within the limits. The Conable Election requires a charity to file a declaration with the IRS and file a functional distribution of funds spreadsheet with their Form 990. IRS form 5768[34] is required to make the Conable election.


    501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. #823
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    It is in the tax code for 591 c3s

    Political activity [edit]
    Section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from supporting political candidates, and are subject to limits on lobbying. They risk loss of tax exempt status if these rules are violated.[30][31]
    Elections [edit]
    Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are prohibited from conducting political campaign activities to intervene in elections to public office.[32] The Internal Revenue Service website elaborates upon this prohibition as follows:
    Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.
    Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances. For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner.
    On the other hand, voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention.
    The Internal Revenue Service provides resources to exempt organizations and the public to help them understand the prohibition. As part of its examination program, the IRS also monitors whether organizations are complying with the prohibition.
    Lobbying [edit]
    In contrast to the absolute prohibition on political campaign interventions by all section 501(c)(3) organizations, public charities (but not private foundations) may conduct a limited amount of lobbying to influence legislation. Although the law states that "No substantial part..." of a public charity's activities can go to lobbying, charities with large budgets may lawfully expend a million dollars (under the "expenditure" test), or more (under the "substantial part" test) per year on lobbying.[33] To clarify the standard of the "substantial part" test, Congress enacted 501 (h) (called the Conable election after its author, Representative Barber Conable). The section establishes limits based on operating budget that a charity can use to determine if it meets the substantial test. This changes the prohibition against direct intervention in partisan contests only for lobbying. The organization is now presumed in compliance with the substantiality test if they work within the limits. The Conable Election requires a charity to file a declaration with the IRS and file a functional distribution of funds spreadsheet with their Form 990. IRS form 5768[34] is required to make the Conable election.


    501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So, a minister MAY exhort from the pulpit, a candidate, or proposal on a pending ballot.

    That is NOT a public endorsement, but a private one. Churches are private organizations.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  4. #824
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    The first amendment protecting freedom of religion, was intended to prevent folks with your mindset, from using government to control religions.
    Deal with it.
    Ding...

  5. #825
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post

    That is NOT a public endorsement, but a private one. Churches are private organizations.
    They have agreed to the rules for preferential tax treatment.

  6. #826
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    you and others miss the point.

    YOUR contention is it's "wrong" to disallow gays, and Christians say it's "wrong" to disallow our religious beliefs.

    You can say, gays should be served in public restaurants, but a church building is NOT a public building.
    It was purchased, maybe built, certainly maintained, by the congregation. it's PRIVATE property, and beyond you having ANY say in it's use.
    So you are arguing that my "contention" for people who are "contentious" about gays is wrong because there is contention.

    Well good thing I never claimed to not be a hypocrite. It is impossible to not judge. The sentence you carry out with your judgement however matters direly.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  7. #827
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    They have agreed to the rules for preferential tax treatment.
    And how in heaven is being discretionary in who they permit use of THEIR facility breaking rules for "preferential" treatment?
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  8. #828
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    And how in heaven is being discretionary in who they permit use of THEIR facility breaking rules for "preferential" treatment?
    I didn't say it was. I said the Church has given up some rights (electioneering) for preferential treatment. Asfaras I'm concerned it is within their rights to act lik dick heads and kick out the scouts.

  9. #829
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I didn't say it was. I said the Church has given up some rights (electioneering) for preferential treatment. Asfaras I'm concerned it is within their rights to act lik dick heads and kick out the scouts.
    They have to kick them out. The church is governed by the bible, which plainly condemns homosexuality. Any church that sanctions the Boy Scouts as an organization is wrong.

    Most Baptist churches I know of would allow homosexuals to attend worship services. In doing so, however, they would find that the scripture calls this homosexual lifestyle an abomination. Only if they caused a scene or problem would they be made to leave.

  10. #830
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    No deciding is necessary, it just happened because the conditions were right. Animal-vegetable-mineral is not all there is. There are many elements besides minerals-a planet may have an atmosphere with gases like oxygen, and liquids such as water and all sorts of other elements and compounds. Thinking rocks are not required.

    The energy mostly comes from the nearby star (sun). It could be in a wide range of forms-lightning, wind, tides etc.

    Asking "why?" erroneously assumes that there needs to be a thoughtful reason for everything. The answer to why is that because the conditions were right, so it happened. It is what happens under those exact circumstances.

    Many of your questions are based on assumptions that are not relevant or valid.

    You are correct that the whole thing is improbable because of all the factors that need to be just right at the same time, but improbable is not the same as impossible. Remember that there was a huge amount of time for this to happen and and a huge number of places with different conditions. We now know that there are many planets without life. It may be that this is the only planet where it all came together for life to happen.

    Any supernatural theory of life raises a huge number of questions that no one can answer. Who created the god? Who created the thing that created the god? Who created the very first god-maker?
    " Any supernatural theory of life raises a huge number of questions that no one can answer."

    Hmmm....sounds.....just like the huge number of questions as to who/what originally created all these minerals, the gases, the sun for energy... where did all this, not even worrying about achieving exactly the right conditions for this primordial soup to then brew up life from nothing [if it wasn't rocks, something not alive "decided" to become alive], come from? If you can answer that it was...ta da! .... just there... well, how is that any more scientific than god was just there? It isn't. So, please at least know your place in the pecking order... which may be no lower, certainly no higher.

    To an inquiring scientific mind, all the questions I ask should be valid... to those who just want to ignore one of the major possibilities, well, that seems even less scientific. Where did DNA come from? The will to survive, what is the science behind that, is there some imperative or was that just accidental as well? All these accidents, and so many more, just happened... after taking into consideration that all these materials came from where, again? All pertinent unless being of the so many who want to just ignore, put hands over eyes and ears, yet, wonder of wonders, somehow for some reason, not over the mouth.

Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •