Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 901

Thread: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

  1. #671
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Haha, no, you misunderstood that. I put an 'and' in there as two examples of factual error in Christian mythology. The Christian teachings that Matthew/Mark/Luke/John wrote the Gospel is false. They were written by multiple, unknown Christian authors and revisers, hundreds of miles away from Judea and decades after Jesus' death. These authors did not know or witness any of the events that they wrote about. We know this through literary analysis of the writing styles, dictionary, language, narrative flow and political motivations contained within the scripts.
    That may be true of some of the books of the NT, but not all. There are 27 books in the NT, and some are composed of the direct writings (letters) of apostles. The book of Mark is thought to be the source of Luke and was begun in AD 70. Certainly a recent enough timeline to have been part of the original events.

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Second, the other Christian teaching that a man named Moses or his story in Exodus is also false. There is no archaeology evidence of plagues or revolts, Egyptians didn't even have slaves (they had paid 'indentured servants') and even better; there is literally not a single mention of Israelites in all of Egyptian writings, except for one, which briefly mentions the Israelites in Canaan (the Merneptah inscription) which was more-so a list of Egypt's neighbors. There is no literal shred of archaeology evidence of any exodus anywhere in Egypt, or in Sinai, no evidence of Abraham, nor Moses, nor any King David, no enslavement in Egypt, and no Exodus. In fact, historians believe the stories are myths copied from Zoroastrian and other Eastern mythological religions. Simply put, Moses never existed.
    Those are not "christian" teachings per se as much as Judaic teachings. And there exists plenty of archeological evidence for the plagues. As for the rest, I'd have to research that to be able to speak to the evidence I'm told exists by religious archeologiasts I've spoken to in the past (exodus, enslavement, et all).

    Here's something you may or may not have encountered in your research of the matter:

    Until very recently, there was no evidence outside the Bible for the existence of King David. There are no references to him in Egyptian, Syrian or Assyrian documents of the time, and the many archaeological digs in the City of David failed to turn up so much as a mention of his name. Then, on July 21, 1993, a team of archaeologists led by Prof. Avraham Biran, excavating Tel Dan in the northern Galilee, found a triangular piece of basalt rock, measuring 23 x 36 cm. inscribed in Aramaic. It was subsequently identified as part of a victory pillar erected by the king of Syria and later smashed by an Israelite ruler. The inscription, which dates to the ninth century bce, that is to say, about a century after David was thought to have ruled Israel, includes the words Beit David ("House" or "Dynasty" of David"). It is the first near-contemporaneous reference to David ever found. It is not conclusive; but it does strongly indicate that a king called David established a dynasty in Israel during the relevant period.
    Read the whole thing here.

  2. #672
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    It is a church. If they feel that allowing gay scouts to use their facilities conflicts with the purpose and teachings of his church, then that is his right. I don't consider it being a jerk--I consider it exercising his organization's right to dissent.
    It can't be both?

  3. #673
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    What if I get my prostate checked and it feels kinda good even though im not gay? Is that a sin? Im just wondering if me and the doctor are going to hell when I get old. You really, really think God took the time to descend from heaven, a grand cosmic journey simply to get someones attention and say, "Hey go tell everyone buttsex is wrong." Or do you think maybe its always just been an excuse to banish the abnormal? Seems pretty damn trivial if you ask me... Its just a penis and a butthole. No one is going to die or anything.

    If god made us in his image. And some of us people are gay. Then does a portion of god crave buttsex?
    Probably not, but if you start scheduling daily appointments specifically to have your rectum probed, you might have a problem.

  4. #674
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post

    I wonder sometimes ...
    Seems sometimes, perhaps too much.

    In any event, since you have so much time left on your hands to help the needy, do you spend all that time actually helping the needy... ?

  5. #675
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,186
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That may be true of some of the books of the NT, but not all. There are 27 books in the NT, and some are composed of the direct writings (letters) of apostles. The book of Mark is thought to be the source of Luke and was begun in AD 70. Certainly a recent enough timeline to have been part of the original events.
    Nice. I got you researching! Biblical scholars know very well how the Bible was created and put together, and a lot about the religious ideology behind it. One of the things I find most interesting, and there are good writings and documentaries on this, is the NT's absence of strong female characters, stemming from the early Churches' prejudices against women. This resulted in the labeling all religious texts with strong femininity as heresy, where the female characters still showing in our Bibles today were attacked and labeled as sluts and whores.

    Mary Magdalene, for example, was never ever once mentioned as a prostitute; but Christians still call her a 'reformed' prostitute, even today.

    To your point. Matthew is a copy of Mark, both sources of Luke. Paul's writings predate the Gospels. The earliest NT writings do not contain any evidence of the divinity of Christ. EG, Paul's writings do not claim Jesus to be divine. But as the authors got further and further removed from Jesus' death, their writings in the Bible got more and more supernatural and made larger and larger claims about Christ's life.

    Those are not "christian" teachings per se as much as Judaic teachings. And there exists plenty of archeological evidence for the plagues. As for the rest, I'd have to research that to be able to speak to the evidence I'm told exists by religious archeologiasts I've spoken to in the past (exodus, enslavement, et all).

    Here's something you may or may not have encountered in your research of the matter:
    What binds them together is the claim of supernatural events, in the face of the absence of physical proof or evidence. I would love for you to link to me the evidence of plagues that were non-natural in their origin. Ash clouds and locusts, all of which normally occur in nature, are not evidence of God; especially in light of Egyptians never ever having owned Israelite slaves.

  6. #676
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Didn't do anything remotely of the sort, but its cool... besides which, the countered, actually valid question: you think denying the truth to be the smarter move, do you?
    Can you demonstrate, via objective evidence, that you have the "truth"? Didn't think so.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #677
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Absence of strong female characters in the NT? Not so much. Mirriam, Sarah, Ruth, Hagar, Esther, the list is long. ALL strong female characters.

    And thanks, but my research long predates this discussion.

    You said there was no archelogical evidence of the plagues whatsoever. Not you're saying there is no evidence those plagues were divine in origin. That's a significant move in goalposts.

    Now, consider that Pharoahs pretty effectively erased narratives that didn't fit their own ruling story, why would you assume that archeological evidence would be available several thousand years after the fact? The entire reign of a couple pharoahs was nearly completely erased from the archeological record by the ones that came after.
    Last edited by clownboy; 06-02-13 at 08:18 PM.

  8. #678
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

    I think there is enough historical evidence to postulate that the whole Jesus story was fabricated in the early 2nd century AD and then backdated to make it appear as if it occurred prior to the Jewish Wars.......................

  9. #679
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I think there is enough historical evidence to postulate that the whole Jesus story was fabricated in the early 2nd century AD and then backdated to make it appear as if it occurred prior to the Jewish Wars.......................
    Head back to the research, your first pass was inadequate. You can begin with the dating of the Dead Sea scrolls (66-70 AD).

  10. #680
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Head back to the research, your first pass was inadequate. You can begin with the dating of the Dead Sea scrolls (66-70 AD).
    The "Dead Sea Scrolls" and most subsequent "archeology" in Israel has been on the level of Biskupiec.........Look it up......................

Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •