1Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.a 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14This is why it is said:
“Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Sounds intolerant to me too but it doesn't change the fact that that Church was wrong in doing what they did. Jesus would never have turned them away just because someone higher up on the food chain said it was okay for gay people to participate as well.
I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.
Thanks for the decently frank answers.
1. So we agree that some may consider some sins, logically, to be worse than others. And should a certain group decide that homosexuality is worse than, say, telling your mother you finished your homework when you really hadn’t, that might be rational, might it not? No offense to your denomination of course.
2. Not flamboyant….Unrepentant… in open defiance of the particular Church’s, many churches’, principles….so not because of the flamboyance, although calling attention to themselves does tend to, wonder of wonder, call attention to themselves as they are openly trying to force everyone else to agree that this preference become condoned behavior. Condoned behavior translates to kids as being accepted behavior. Kids, most of whose parents would rather want their children to be instructed in their church or troop in a manner more in a parallel relationship to what they, the parents, have determined to be right or wrong. Not what a partiuclar group relying on rigorous enforcement through the state and constant bullying by a activist media, all trying to mandate what everyone else must think…
3. Freedom of assembly, the right of free choice of just who it is you care to hang around with, this guaranteed by our Constitution.
4. Everything is not about gays and everything that does not promote this particular deviant lifestyle is not absolutely directed at being discriminatory of gays. Churches and religions are based upon many guidelines, this proscription against same sex sexual activities is just one of the many.
5. Again, its not about gay bashing, its about promoting what works for societies, in the aggregate. This is just, as indicated before, one facet of the recommended lifestyle that is given to promote physical, mental and spiritual well being. I think you are being perhaps a bit overly-gaycentric, are you not?
3) Of course it's his legal right, but we're talking about his compliance with the bible. Fact is, the boyscouts always hired sinners to be scout leaders, now they hire more sinners. Their curriculum hasn't changed one bit. The pastor just threw a hissy fit because he wanted to make a political statement because he hates homosexuality more than the other sins.
4) Likewise, everyone who doesn't discriminate against gays isn't condoning their behavior.
5) Last time I checked, everyone is running around crying about overpopulation. Why would this be a bad thing? I'm not gay centric, I just don't like people trying to make other people's lives miserable for no real reason. Gays have been harassed for thousands of years, and I'm not interested in supporting that status quo. It's everyone's right to believe what they want. When the christians however petition their government to have anti-gay laws passed or things such as marriage withheld, it becomes a problem. That's unacceptable regardless of who they're targeting.
Many straight people engage in anal sex. Should these people also be banned from the Boy Scouts?
What about straight people that engage in oral sex?
Beyond that, I am not the one to ask probably.