Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 901

Thread: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220:563]

  1. #411
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    They do now, Sherlock.

    Boys scouts did not previously discriminate against homosexuals, per se, only people who had described themselves as such. Now they have decided to enable "openly" gay people in their lifestyle choice by allowing them in. It's pretty basic logic here. Even someone of your ability should be able to grok it.
    Good, so by allowing sinners into church, the church is also supporting their sin. The church should close itself. I wish you had just came out and said that from the beginning so I would just agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Sure they can.

    Sexuality isn't a protected class.

    Not that it matters anyway. This church is refusing services because the organization violates a central tenant of their faith.
    Not-discriminating is not violating a tenant of the christian faith. If they had a butt-sex merit badge you'd probably be right. So the boyscouts let more sinners in (all humans are sinners), why can the church let sinners in?

  2. #412
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Almost any church to which one may go has no problem with admitting sinners into the church, and those of us who are church members all struggle with many of the things you pointed out. There's no hypocrisy in struggling with sin. The problem comes when one insists on living in open rebellion to the scriptures by which the church abides by making environmental or genetic excuses rather than leaving what the scriptures teach as sin. The church has every reason to expel those who insist in living in open rebellion. Your argument is flawed because you lack understanding of grace and obedience in the context of the gospel.


    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Do they ban couples living together outside of marriage? Those who are having sex outside marriage? Those who lie? Those who cheat? Those who bully? Those who don't come to church every Sunday? Those who drink?

    When churches start banning sinners?? They've lost the plot. From their tenets:



    I don't see "except if you're gay" in there anywhere. You?

  3. #413
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    [QUOTE=RabidAlpaca;1061875936]

    So let's get this straight:

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    - The boy scouts are a sinful organization because they now allow sinners. (homosexuals)
    Don't think that is actually how it goes, but...My opinion is that the scouts are now a defunct organization. It collapsed in the face of pressure to abandon one of its core principles. Nobody should be openly declaring any of this stuff, anyhow. Its unnecessarily not appropriate. What is the real game here, anyhow?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    - There are no gradients of sin. All sin is equal in the eyes of god.
    I am not a bible scholar, can you point out where it says that in their/your text? I am familiar with the concept, just cannot recall it ever having been proven.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    - We are all sinners.
    That we are. But if we are sinners who are not actually attempting to overcome our sin, sinners that want to let everyone not only know, but also make everyone believe it is not a sin, force everyone to so believe… well, we got a different thing going there, right?


    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    - Churches allow humans into their church, which because they're human, are also sinners.
    No disagreement there.


    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Therefore, this church is doing the EXACT SAME THING the boyscouts are doing. They're allowing sinners into their congregation (that's the point of a church!)
    What the church is doing is not the exact same thing. The each have different stations in our society. The Church is not geared towards being an ever changing, which-way-is-the-wind-blowing this year type of institution. It is supposed to be the rock. The BSA? More an ancillary organization assisting in building wholesome qualities. At least that was its previous station.

    Why require this stamp, that this stain of sexuality must seep onto, into the cloth, into every single strand of everything? Can nothing be allowed even an attempt to remain pure? Can that not still be an admirable goal? The Church has as it mandate to push for purity… but it should just have to give that up so that some can feel really good about the sin they, themselves, have no intention of giving up? Would you not call that as close, or maybe even closer, to being real hypocrisy?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You don't see the hypocrasy in this? So the boyscouts previously let those guilty of gluttony, lust, envy, and all the other sins, and that was ok, but as soon as they let homosexuals in, that's a no-no because that sin is worse?
    None of those others seem to be advertising their sins, not saying, hey, look at us, we are sinning, join us... and even if not, you must let us join you.

  4. #414
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Good, so by allowing sinners into church, the church is also supporting their sin. The church should close itself. I wish you had just came out and said that from the beginning so I would just agree with you.


    Not-discriminating is not violating a tenant of the christian faith. If they had a butt-sex merit badge you'd probably be right. So the boyscouts let more sinners in (all humans are sinners), why can the church let sinners in?

    Again, this is just more a mixture of your own ignorance and intolerance of Christianity, not any sort of logical point. We are back to Jesus running a swingers bar behind the temple.

  5. #415
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    Your argument is flawed because you lack understanding of grace and obedience in the context of the gospel.
    Well, I'll accept that as your opinion. Still, "banning sinners" cannot be seen as Christianity at its best. How do you fill up your churches on Sunday mornings? Many Baptist churches believe married/divorced/remarried is living in adultery. Do they ban these people from their church?

    Church is where sinners belong. We all are, after all.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #416
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    [QUOTE=Gaugingcatenate;1061876332]
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post

    So let's get this straight:

    Don't think that is actually how it goes, but...My opinion is that the scouts are now a defunct organization. It collapsed in the face of pressure to abandon one of its core principles. Nobody should be openly declaring any of this stuff, anyhow. Its unnecessarily not appropriate. What is the real game here, anyhow?

    I am not a bible scholar, can you point out where it says that in their/your text? I am familiar with the concept, just cannot recall it ever having been proven.

    That we are. But if we are sinners who are not actually attempting to overcome our sin, sinners that want to let everyone not only know, but also make everyone believe it is not a sin, force everyone to so believe… well, we got a different thing going there, right?


    No disagreement there.



    What the church is doing is not the exact same thing. The each have different stations in our society. The Church is not geared towards being an ever changing, which-way-is-the-wind-blowing this year type of institution. It is supposed to be the rock. The BSA? More an ancillary organization assisting in building wholesome qualities. At least that was its previous station.

    Why require this stamp, that this stain of sexuality must seep onto, into the cloth, into every single strand of everything? Can nothing be allowed even an attempt to remain pure? Can that not still be an admirable goal? The Church has as it mandate to push for purity… but it should just have to give that up so that some can feel really good about the sin they, themselves, have no intention of giving up? Would you not call that as close, or maybe even closer, to being real hypocrisy?



    None of those others seem to be advertising their sins, not saying, hey, look at us, we are sinning, join us... and even if not, you must let us join you.
    So let's take a guy named Bob. Bob has a beer belly, and he likes eating, a LOT. He is by every definition a glutton. By allowing Bob into church without demanding that he change his life immediately, the church is supporting his sin?

    I grew up in church, and a large number of them were morbidly obese. I didn't see any condemnation of their gluttony, nor did the church feel bad about allowing them in, even though that had ZERO intention to change.

    So you're saying that gluttony is a "better", "more acceptable" sin than homosexuality? Should any organization that doesn't discriminate against sinners be rejected by the church? I don't see any christians rejecting Wal-Mart because they don't discriminate against homosexuals.

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    Again, this is just more a mixture of your own ignorance and intolerance of Christianity, not any sort of logical point. We are back to Jesus running a swingers bar behind the temple.
    I can tell you're just going to keep hurling insults instead of actually addressing the point.

    You've refused on multiple occaisions to explain why the church can be chock full of sinners, but the boy scouts can't. The entire purpose of a swinger's club is a violation of the christian faith. The BSA's only change was who they allow to join. Not even in the same ballpark.

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Good, so by allowing sinners into church, the church is also supporting their sin. The church should close itself. I wish you had just came out and said that from the beginning so I would just agree with you.


    Not-discriminating is not violating a tenant of the christian faith. If they had a butt-sex merit badge you'd probably be right. So the boyscouts let more sinners in (all humans are sinners), why can the church let sinners in?
    Churches can let who they want in the same way BSA can.

    I hate to state the obvious but up until about a week ago the BSA didn't allow openly gay members either.

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Or is gluttony a 'better' sin than homosexuality?
    So you think that overeating is same as some rump-humper sticking his penis into your ass?

  9. #419
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post

    Church is where sinners belong. We all are, after all.
    You are missing a word there, jusr before sinners. Repentant.

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Boy Scouts Banned By Alabama Pastor Greg Walker[W:220]

    These so-called Christians act as if all sin can be and should be forgiven, except the sin of being gay.

    (which isn't a sin)

Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •