Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 209

Thread: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

  1. #181
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,500

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Nobody is forced to shop there

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Are Walmart customers not taxpayers? Don't you think Walmart will merely pass the cost of this fine onto their customers? In the end the taxpayer/customer will still pay...and the state government will still get their 'management fee' in the transaction...

  2. #182
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I was being facetious. What they're trying to do will never pass constitutional muster, in my opinion.
    My bad.

    And I don't know. Constitutionally the powers granted to the states are broad and indefinite, only the powers granted to the federal government are (supposedly) few and defined.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Constitutionally the powers granted to the states are broad and indefinite, only the powers granted to the federal government are (supposedly) few and defined.
    Except in the world according to liberals, in which case it's precisely the other way around.

  4. #184
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Nobody is forced to shop there
    Nor is anybody forced to work there...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #185
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Moderator's Warning:
    Costco's Profit Soars To 9 Million As Low-Wage Competitors StruggleHuffington Post is a blog. Moved to appropriate location

  6. #186
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't see a particular reason why the existence of a social safety net needs to be incompatible with free market competition.
    because the government is subsidizing the low wage employer. If there were to be a level playing field, then the low wage employer would have to reimburse the government for that subsidy, or else the social safety net would have to be re thought.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #187
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    because the government is subsidizing the low wage employer. If there were to be a level playing field, then the low wage employer would have to reimburse the government for that subsidy, or else the social safety net would have to be re thought.
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.

  8. #188
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.
    Liberals on the one hand rant in favor of expanding their pet welfare programs for people who aren't indigent but then rail again against big corporations like Wal-Mart for being "subsidized." Their Alice in Wonderland logic never ceases to amaze me. How about we fine non-profits like MoveOn.org for being subsidized when people who are on Medicaid or Food Stamps volunteer their time? I figure the fine should be worth the entire cost of their benefits, since these people are working for free.
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #189
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.
    Actually, I said the "low wage employer", which is what you listed.
    Without the government subsidies, those employees would not be able to work for the wages offered. They'd have to either upgrade skills and move on to a higher paying job, or find another way of supplementing their income.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #190
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Actually, I said the "low wage employer", which is what you listed.
    Without the government subsidies, those employees would not be able to work for the wages offered. They'd have to either upgrade skills and move on to a higher paying job, or find another way of supplementing their income.
    That is ridiculous. If the employees could upgrade jobs and move to a higher paying one, they would. I agree that welfare cliffs are real, but to paint the programs as some kind of subsidy to a business that hires low-talent low-experience labor is baseless. Without those subsidies, there is no magic "oh well I guess NOW I'll finally go finish that masters degree" button that the mass of these people would push (although again, I agree we would see an increase in their willingness to self-improve), nor would we see a sudden collapse in the number of entry-level workers into the workforce.

    On the contrary, in the absence of these programs, demand for jobs that can be handled by low-experience low-education low-talent workers would increase dramatically, strengthening the hand of employers.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •