Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 208

Thread: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

  1. #181
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,438

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I was being facetious. What they're trying to do will never pass constitutional muster, in my opinion.
    My bad.

    And I don't know. Constitutionally the powers granted to the states are broad and indefinite, only the powers granted to the federal government are (supposedly) few and defined.

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,599

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Constitutionally the powers granted to the states are broad and indefinite, only the powers granted to the federal government are (supposedly) few and defined.
    Except in the world according to liberals, in which case it's precisely the other way around.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-24-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Nobody is forced to shop there
    Nor is anybody forced to work there...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Moderator's Warning:
    Costco's Profit Soars To 9 Million As Low-Wage Competitors StruggleHuffington Post is a blog. Moved to appropriate location

  5. #185
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't see a particular reason why the existence of a social safety net needs to be incompatible with free market competition.
    because the government is subsidizing the low wage employer. If there were to be a level playing field, then the low wage employer would have to reimburse the government for that subsidy, or else the social safety net would have to be re thought.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  6. #186
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,438

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    because the government is subsidizing the low wage employer. If there were to be a level playing field, then the low wage employer would have to reimburse the government for that subsidy, or else the social safety net would have to be re thought.
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.

  7. #187
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,228

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.
    Liberals on the one hand rant in favor of expanding their pet welfare programs for people who aren't indigent but then rail again against big corporations like Wal-Mart for being "subsidized." Their Alice in Wonderland logic never ceases to amaze me. How about we fine non-profits like MoveOn.org for being subsidized when people who are on Medicaid or Food Stamps volunteer their time? I figure the fine should be worth the entire cost of their benefits, since these people are working for free.
    Нава́льный

  8. #188
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,676

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Interesting. How is government subsidizing the low wage employer?

    Because I suspect that what you mean is that government is subsidizing the low-wage employee, which is not the same at all. Wal-Mart does not benefit if one of its' employees goes on Medicaid for the simple enough reason that that action did not pull it off of any Wal-Mart plan. Nor does Wal-Mart benefit if one of its' employees gets' WIC, or food stamps (and before anyone goes on a rant about evil walmart paying so little that their employees need them, my employer - the Federal Government - paid me so little that I qualified for both), except to the extent that perhaps they spend those government benefits in their store. But there the "subsidy" is the exact same as every other store that takes food stamps and WIC, from Wal-Mart to K-Mart to Publix to the corner Mom and Pop.
    Actually, I said the "low wage employer", which is what you listed.
    Without the government subsidies, those employees would not be able to work for the wages offered. They'd have to either upgrade skills and move on to a higher paying job, or find another way of supplementing their income.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  9. #189
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,438

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Actually, I said the "low wage employer", which is what you listed.
    Without the government subsidies, those employees would not be able to work for the wages offered. They'd have to either upgrade skills and move on to a higher paying job, or find another way of supplementing their income.
    That is ridiculous. If the employees could upgrade jobs and move to a higher paying one, they would. I agree that welfare cliffs are real, but to paint the programs as some kind of subsidy to a business that hires low-talent low-experience labor is baseless. Without those subsidies, there is no magic "oh well I guess NOW I'll finally go finish that masters degree" button that the mass of these people would push (although again, I agree we would see an increase in their willingness to self-improve), nor would we see a sudden collapse in the number of entry-level workers into the workforce.

    On the contrary, in the absence of these programs, demand for jobs that can be handled by low-experience low-education low-talent workers would increase dramatically, strengthening the hand of employers.

  10. #190
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,228

    Re: Costco's Profit Soars To $459 Million As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Without the government subsidies, those employees would not be able to work for the wages offered.
    You mean some of these no/low-skill workers would be unemployed, because I imagine others among the 24% of unemployed youth would gladly take those jobs. Whenever Wal-Mart opens a new store it's mobbed by applicants, some of whom drive long distances in order to apply for those $9 or $10 per hour jobs. But assuming I buy into your argument, what you're really saying is without these jobs those people would be unemployed and indigent and government would be paying their entire freight, right? So why is it good public policy to punish a company that reduces poverty and lowers the tax burden?

    Also, with the implementation of Obamacare, states that bought into BOb's expanded Medicaid program will include people up to 133% of the federal poverty level. So under your theory, beginning in 2014 wages should drop at Wal-Marts in states like California that bought into the expansion relative to states like Mississippi that didn't buy into it, right? I'll entertain a friendly wager on that if you want. I noticed that right across the border in Canada, which has national health insurance, Wal-Mart tends to pay workers MORE than it pays in the U.S. For example, according to Glassdoor a "completely subsidized" night stocker in Canada makes an average wage of $12.48/hour, well above the country's minimum wage, while in the U.S. the "low-subsidized" U.S. equivalent earns $9.60.

    WalMart Canada Salaries in Canada | Glassdoor

    Walmart Stores Hourly Pay | Glassdoor
    Нава́льный

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •