Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    06-20-18 @ 07:51 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,591

    Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Yet another corporate lackey shows his true colours - and they ain't Red, White & Blue

    Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Perry vetoed the "Buy American" bill, HB 535, which would have established a preference for the purchase of Texas and American manufactured goods by the State of Texas when they are of equal cost and quality to foreign-produced products. It's common sense, and it's a great way to keep our tax revenue in Texas and in America.

    The bill, sponsored by Rep. Yvonne Davis, D-Dallas, and Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, passed the Senate 23-7 and the House, 145-0. That's some pretty broad support.
    The Texas Senate and House are Republican-controlled.

    Here's the history of the bill
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,062

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    You do know what the Burnt Orange Report is, right? What the burnt orange is a reference to?

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,817

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    A foreign corporate lackey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    We have no reason not to believe him. [North Korean Dictator and Mass Murder Kim Jong-Un] has been very honest and accommodating.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    The law seems stupid to begin with. How do you legislate preference of purchase between american and foreign? What? You're going to tax people if they don't buy american when they can for the same price? It seems very anti-market and a very stupid bill.

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,817

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    The law seems stupid to begin with. How do you legislate preference of purchase between american and foreign? What? You're going to tax people if they don't buy american when they can for the same price? It seems very anti-market and a very stupid bill.
    It's legislating preference for when the state purchases something. Private citizens are unaffected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    We have no reason not to believe him. [North Korean Dictator and Mass Murder Kim Jong-Un] has been very honest and accommodating.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's legislating preference for when the state purchases something.
    Ok, again, how do you legislate that? You send someone to buy pencils for the offices right? He goes out, buys foreign... when he could have bought american. What will you do? sack him? fine him? Fine the department he was working under? Because the first 2 are stupid and the last one just means you are transferring money through the bureaucracy.

    It's a stupid law.

    If the state officials want to purchase american products for the state, encourage them to do so. You cannot legislate it. It is impossible to enforce. Also, what if you don't know that there are goods that you are looking for in Texas, manufactured in the USA... only the foreign ones. And you buy them... and it's against the law... how will you enforce that? It's stupid.

    What if there is a complex machinery, like a car. it may be assembled in the USA but maybe the engine is made in Taiwan and the steering wheel in China. Does it count as american?

    Again. A very stupid law made by stupid people. I think Rick Perry showed some smarts when he vetoed it. Based on what I read so far.

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,817

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Ok, again, how do you legislate that? You send someone to buy pencils for the offices right? He goes out, buys foreign... when he could have bought american. What will you do? sack him? fine him? Fine the department he was working under? Because the first 2 are stupid and the last one just means you are transferring money through the bureaucracy.

    It's a stupid law.

    If the state officials want to purchase american products for the state, encourage them to do so. You cannot legislate it. It is impossible to enforce. Also, what if you don't know that there are goods that you are looking for in Texas, manufactured in the USA... only the foreign ones. And you buy them... and it's against the law... how will you enforce that? It's stupid.

    What if there is a complex machinery, like a car. it may be assembled in the USA but maybe the engine is made in Taiwan and the steering wheel in China. Does it count as american?

    Again. A very stupid law made by stupid people. I think Rick Perry showed some smarts when he vetoed it. Based on what I read so far.
    It creates a preference, not a mandate. There's nothing to enforce. Maybe if you read the one-page bill that would be obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    We have no reason not to believe him. [North Korean Dictator and Mass Murder Kim Jong-Un] has been very honest and accommodating.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,062

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Here is why Perry vetoed the bill:

    "House Bill 535 requires state agencies, when purchasing goods, to give preference to goods "manufactured" in Texas. Current law already requires state agencies to give preference to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law."

    From the same link: "The bill, sponsored by Dallas-area representitive [sic] Yvonne Davis, could still become law if the governor's veto is overturned by Texas House and Senate voting." Perry Vetoes "Buy American" Bill | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

    Total bonus if the AFL-CIO is unhappy.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It creates a preference, not a mandate. There's nothing to enforce. Maybe if you read the one-page bill that would be obvious.
    Again, its stupid. You don't make laws for preferences. How do you legislate preferences?

    There is no such thing. It seems obliviously stupid.

  10. #10
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Rick Perry Vetoes Bipartisan "Buy American" Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Yet another corporate lackey shows his true colours - and they ain't Red, White & Blue



    The Texas Senate and House are Republican-controlled.

    Here's the history of the bill

    how is equal quality measured?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •