Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 299

Thread: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show[W:249]

  1. #71
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,705
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the acting commissioner, miller, never made such an acknowledgement
    when testifying, he made a point to note that no groups were "targeted"
    while he did not endorse the methodology used to sort those cases approvable by merit (application information only) versus those requiring deeper analysis, he noted, as did the IG, that there was NO political partisanship evident by those actions

    again, the partisanship here is all yours, and that of your ilk
    How is it partisan to want an investigation after it has been exposed that there was wrongdoing by a government agency? EVERYONE should want a complete and thorough investigation. The IRS wields enormous power and they are not subject to the same due process laws that govern the legal system. If there is even the slightest hint that they have abused or are abusing that power then they need to be investigated. I seriously doubt that you would be of the same opinion about this if it involved liberal groups during the Bush administration.

    For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone would want to prevent this. It would be along the same lines as arguing against auditing the federal reserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  2. #72
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    How is it partisan to want an investigation after it has been exposed that there was wrongdoing by a government agency? EVERYONE should want a complete and thorough investigation. The IRS wields enormous power and they are not subject to the same due process laws that govern the legal system. If there is even the slightest hint that they have abused or are abusing that power then they need to be investigated. I seriously doubt that you would be of the same opinion about this if it involved liberal groups during the Bush administration.

    For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone would want to prevent this. It would be along the same lines as arguing against auditing the federal reserve.
    it is partisan when you - and those like you - insist that it was only 'conservative' organizations whose applications were being held up
    that belief is not true
    but that is why your arguments are found to be partisan ones
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #73
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it is partisan when you - and those like you - insist that it was only 'conservative' organizations whose applications were being held up
    that belief is not true
    but that is why your arguments are found to be partisan ones
    Report: One-Third of Tax-Exempt Groups Scrutinized by IRS Were Not Conservative - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

    This info shouldn't come as a huge surprise, since it only takes a few hours sorting through publically available data. It's been apparent that there was no real political bias. However reality has not really been much of a deterrent.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Report: One-Third of Tax-Exempt Groups Scrutinized by IRS Were Not Conservative - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

    This info shouldn't come as a huge surprise, since it only takes a few hours sorting through publically available data. It's been apparent that there was no real political bias. However reality has not really been much of a deterrent.
    'no real political bias'? How do we know that? What was the premise for those '1/3 non-conservative' being scrutinized? Was it due to some specific words in their names? What was the depth of their scrutiny? How long did their approval take? All these questions were addressed in the IG report concerning the 'conservative groups'...fail

    Further, per the IG report there were ~67,000 applications in '09 alone (both c3 & c4 which the 178 list includes). Is 178 of that ~67k a representative sample? Essentially what we know is what we still don't know...but the article proposes what we THINK we know...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #75
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Report: One-Third of Tax-Exempt Groups Scrutinized by IRS Were Not Conservative - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

    This info shouldn't come as a huge surprise, since it only takes a few hours sorting through publically available data. It's been apparent that there was no real political bias. However reality has not really been much of a deterrent.
    What desperate nonsense. So your point is that there was no political bias because only two thirds of the targeted groups were conservative? Really? That smells like desperation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #76
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,705
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it is partisan when you - and those like you - insist that it was only 'conservative' organizations whose applications were being held up
    that belief is not true

    but that is why your arguments are found to be partisan ones
    CHECK THE ****ING STATS!!! Conservative groups were held up, delayed, hassled, or otherwise "given the business" to the tune of about 50 to 1 verses liberal groups. Jesus Christ, dude! How can you possibly claim be informed about this topic and at the same time pretend not to know what is now common knowledge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  7. #77
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    CHECK THE ****ING STATS!!! Conservative groups were held up, delayed, hassled, or otherwise "given the business" to the tune of about 50 to 1 verses liberal groups. Jesus Christ, dude! How can you possibly claim be informed about this topic and at the same time pretend not to know what is now common knowledge?
    I'd love to see where conservatives were held up 50:1. Because I'm fairly sure that didn't happen.

    No one is saying that the IRS is blameless here. No one is saying that there weren't problems. After all even the appearance of a political bias is a huge problem.

    But an honest take on this says that there was no significant political bias. Conservative 501c groups outspent liberal groups 10:1 and were approved 4:1. Now we see that conservative groups were investigated 2:1. In fact, conservative groups which were investigated outspent liberal groups 34:1.

    Part of being informed on this subject is understanding that the huge rise in 501c4 political groups was almost entirely among conservative groups. Yes, the criteria used was biased. But so too was the abuse.

    These are not social welfare groups. That's why the senate has been investigating the IRS for a year.

  8. #78
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    What desperate nonsense. So your point is that there was no political bias because only two thirds of the targeted groups were conservative? Really? That smells like desperation.
    Which percentages would you accept?

  9. #79
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Patriots for Progress
    a) is that a republican or democratic leaning entity?
    b) what caused you to come to that conclusion?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: IRS higher-ups requested info on conservative groups, letters show

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    a) is that a republican or democratic leaning entity?
    Don't know, why does it matter? Aren't they suppose to review all applications? Wouldn't a review of their information (rather that random words in their name) compel further scrutiny if necessary?

    b) what caused you to come to that conclusion?
    Why would one need to come to that conclusion? Isn't that the point?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •