Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits, spywa

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    It is not about price.. it is about access. If I lived in the US, I would have zero reason what so ever to pirate TV-series or even music or movies (DVDs). Oh I missed the last Big Bang Theory.. no problem, I can see it for free or very cheap online!

    But because I choose to live outside the US, then I am not allowed to have Netflix type service, Hulu or similar, and my Tv stations takes weeks or months or even years to show my favorite TV show.

    Now Netflix has come to certain European countries, but even then the content is years out of date and you only have access to stuff that has already been shown on local tv at some point in time. But most of Europe does not even have Netflix or similar services, and those that there are.. their content is years if not decades old. Why? There are plenty of companies who have tried... because the rights holders refuse to allow it. Spotify for example had a tough time getting into the US or even some European countries... why? Because the same rights holders that allowed it in some countries, refused it in others... wtf?

    So frankly, the rights holders are bringing piracy on themselves by limiting access not only on price (not a major factor) but on nationality or region.. and that is living in the 1980s and not in the Internet world of the 21st century.

    The rights holders could squash a lot of piracy by letting content online after it is aired in the US... at a price. I would be willing to pay 10 bucks a month to get access to my favorite CBS shows. But I cant. So I pirate them because I dont want to wait the weeks/months/years for it to come on local tv channels...

    And then there is DVDs...the most idiotic thing ever. Not only cant you get new movies online, you have to buy a DVD, but the morons at the movie companies actually believe there are borders on the Internet, so they release DVDs in say Russia long before everywhere else... even before they are in the cinema in many countries, and then they are shocked that the movie is being pirated online? Morons.
    It sounds like you have stumbled on to a wonderful business opportunity. I hope it makes you fabulously wealthy and nobody steals it from you.

  2. #22
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits, s

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Talk about Orwellian doublespeak. It's not the pirates that are criminals, it's those who are being stolen from that are the criminals.

    Such efforts are doomed to failure because they are clearly too invasive. Private organizations inserting malicious code and indiscriminately disabling computers is clearly out of bounds.
    It probably can't work. But I disagree with your assertion that the people being stolen from are the criminals. If you don't buy a DVD, it's not the DVD manufacturer that doesn't get paid, it's the people without whom there would be no DVD to buy.

    The worst argument I ever hear about CDs is that they are cheap to make. The actual disc is cheap. What's not cheap is the studio rental, the producers & engineers -- and all of that is before the actual artist makes anything. The reason the music industry keeps putting out **** music is that it might actually sell -- suburban teenage girls usually have bad taste in music. The real artists don't get a chance because of piracy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #23
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    In that case it is time to make some laws that do prevent this.
    Obviously the industry morons who say/believe that such efforts don't violate existing law need to do more homework.

    What about the "Computer Fraud and Abuse Act"?
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  4. #24
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,


  5. #25
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    only if it is legal for everyone to employ the same tactics against those companies that force advertisement on us.....

  6. #26
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 02:40 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    It sounds like you have stumbled on to a wonderful business opportunity. I hope it makes you fabulously wealthy and nobody steals it from you.
    Heh... how can you lose a opportunity to go into a venture... after you've already gone into that venture, and taken that opportunity?
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  7. #27
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Another insanely stupid RIAA/MPAA move. Do this and their business is gone, what remains of their physical media market will be forever lost to NetFlix, Hulu and the MP3 online providers. What makes it beyond the realm of reason is the simple reality that most pirates/cappers do not buy DVDs (other than the blanks) - they don't need to. The ones that do, do so later on to support the artists, and that would come to an abrupt halt.

  8. #28
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Poor Pete, some companies don't want to do business in his area so he condones theft rather than looking at why a company would not want to do business in his area. Let's see if I have this correct: They have it, I want it, they're stupid. I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility, but why would they not want to sell to your area? Could it be that they don't agree with the regulation in your marketplace?

    You say that rights holders are bringing piracy upon themselves. They could eliminate piracy completely if they just put out their content for free in geographically distributed data centers. That's the logical extension of your argument.

    Here is an alternative point of view: Content owners either can't or won't abide by local regulation to sell legitimately in your area, but these same government entities are obligated to enforce copyright laws and don't so you can freely pirate whatever you want to have. So you say you want to be honest but just can't because THEY are morons. At least you are honest in your law breaking.

    As I indicated, I don't agree with all the tactics that the entertainment industry uses, but I understand why they try.
    I'm an American in europe, and I pirate a LOT. Mostly because I have zero access to American media of any kind here. As Pete pointed out, if I were in the states, I could watch all of these things for free online. Most shows I couldn't watch even if I wanted to pay for it. For instance, Parks and Recreation, one of my favorite shows, I could never watch legally.

    I can't pay for it online, and I can't order it from the states, because DVD region protection would prevent me from doing so. I tried signing up for a legal, paid online streaming service, but all the movies and shows were from a decade ago, because the companies want to cock-block. We're telling them 'PLEASE TAKE OUR MONEY' and they refuse.

    I don't feel the slightest bit bad for watching something that every other American gets to watch for free when I couldn't pay enough money to get it legally. How are they losing money if I can't buy it in the first place? It's a no-lose scenario.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm an American in europe, and I pirate a LOT. Mostly because I have zero access to American media of any kind here. As Pete pointed out, if I were in the states, I could watch all of these things for free online. Most shows I couldn't watch even if I wanted to pay for it. For instance, Parks and Recreation, one of my favorite shows, I could never watch legally.

    I can't pay for it online, and I can't order it from the states, because DVD region protection would prevent me from doing so. I tried signing up for a legal, paid online streaming service, but all the movies and shows were from a decade ago, because the companies want to cock-block. We're telling them 'PLEASE TAKE OUR MONEY' and they refuse.

    I don't feel the slightest bit bad for watching something that every other American gets to watch for free when I couldn't pay enough money to get it legally. How are they losing money if I can't buy it in the first place? It's a no-lose scenario.
    Have you tried using a proxy server in the US? Not that Netflix actually has anything new or a great selection. Hulu and Netflix try to require windows and Amazon streaming is expensive (and has been moving towards silverlight) and their "premium" service basically only has old stuff. I haven't tried Hulu on Wine, maybe it would work.

    Frankly, if they want to force me to use Windows or even Mac to get anything, then screw them, there are ways to get it anyway. If they want to not support Linux or the content producers want it only distributed by those who don't support Linux or anything other than Mac and Windows, then screw'em, I can get the content if I want it.

    Even their proposed stupidity wouldn't directly affect me because it is almost impossible to even build such malware/spyware/ransomware that would work on Linux in general. I say almost impossible because while it is possible, it would only affect those whose set up matches what they build it for, but since Linux is a unique compile on each system, it is very rare for two systems to be identical and even then, ransomware wouldn't work unless they actually found a way to bypass the root access restrictions native to Linux/Unix and other such systems.

    Maybe instead of stupid and ultimately futile schemes, they should try giving greater legal access to larger numbers of people, thus reducing the need for some to bypass existing systems.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits,

    i don't pirate anything. that being said, i'm exceptionally unlikely to purchase anything which contains rootkits or ransomware. i work actively to keep my machines free of that kind of nonsense, and will continue to do so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •