Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 101

Thread: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

  1. #71
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food - Salon.com

    Looks like many of our citizens are struggling to get one of the basic needs in this world; food. One of the richest countries in the world, no wait THE richest country in the world, and nearly 25% of our citizens are struggling to get food. [/INDENT]
    Sorry, I just have a hard time believing it. America's food problem is too many of us struggle with obesity.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #72
    User kenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    06-22-13 @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    108

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Sorry, I just have a hard time believing it. America's food problem is too many of us struggle with obesity.
    And then with ObamaCare we will have to also pay for their liposuction. I've had it. It's time to let the uncompetitive and useless die.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    except for those who are still hungry because they are without anything to eat, i agree with you
    Who would that be? I see no starving beggars on the street like in many if not most 3rd world countries.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food - Salon.com

    Looks like many of our citizens are struggling to get one of the basic needs in this world; food. One of the richest countries in the world, no wait THE richest country in the world, and nearly 25% of our citizens are struggling to get food. [/INDENT]
    Yes, it is well known that a great percentage of American citizens are living in starvation-creating poverty.

    Typically, the right blames them for their poverty and references excuses, all in protection of capitalism.

    And also typically, the left blames .. wait for it .. .. capitalism.

    Truthfully, it doesn't serve us well to focus on either attacking or defending capitalism, as not only is capitalism here to stay as long as we have the over-population problem that we do, but making capitalism the problem-focus for solution only creates a dualistic polarized stalemate a la the global warming and pro-choice v. pro-life conflicts, where nothing is changed and no efforts result to solve the applicable problem.

    If Americans could unite under a theme of liberty and justice for all U.S. citizens, where individual citizen prosperity is the foundational tenet, we could achieve great reductions in poverty and great increases in prosperity, still under capitalism, by ending in-sourcing and off-shoring of American production and jobs and focusing on returning America to citizen-based self-sufficiency to as great a degree as possible.

    The problem isn't capitalism so much as it is in the extremist anti-American-individual-citizen ideologies of both the left-wing Multi-Cultural Internationalists and the right-wing Corporate Global Expansionists, the two strange-bedfellow ruling power factions in America today.

    If we could remove the MCIs and the CGEs from power, we'd still be able to provide prosperity for most every American citizen in America without needing to execute the huge project of replacing capitalism with the next step in socioeconomic progress, whatever that next step will turn out to be.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  5. #75
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    And then with ObamaCare we will have to also pay for their liposuction. I've had it. It's time to let the uncompetitive and useless die.
    Geeez, I wouldn't go THAT far.

    I do think its high time to apply Bloomberg restrictions on what may be purchased with food stamps though. No sugar or sugary food; no cooking oil; nothing processed like white flour, white rice, white bread, white pasta or things made with them; nothing that contains a certain level of fat content recommended by nutritionists. I'd be willing to bet if these types of restrictions were placed on food stamps, grocery stores and the food industry would begin to stock and market more of the healthier stuff and the whole country would start eating and drinking healthier.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #76
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Geeez, I wouldn't go THAT far.

    I do think its high time to apply Bloomberg restrictions on what may be purchased with food stamps though. No sugar or sugary food; no cooking oil; nothing processed like white flour, white rice, white bread, white pasta or things made with them; nothing that contains a certain level of fat content recommended by nutritionists. I'd be willing to bet if these types of restrictions were placed on food stamps, grocery stores and the food industry would begin to stock and market more of the healthier stuff and the whole country would start eating and drinking healthier.
    or simply replace food stamps with food warehouses where subsidized healthful food can be had by anyone who would qualify for food stamps.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #77
    User kenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    06-22-13 @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    108

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Geeez, I wouldn't go THAT far.

    I do think its high time to apply Bloomberg restrictions on what may be purchased with food stamps though. No sugar or sugary food; no cooking oil; nothing processed like white flour, white rice, white bread, white pasta or things made with them; nothing that contains a certain level of fat content recommended by nutritionists. I'd be willing to bet if these types of restrictions were placed on food stamps, grocery stores and the food industry would begin to stock and market more of the healthier stuff and the whole country would start eating and drinking healthier.
    I see you have a good heart, but that good heart is turning you into a bleeding heart liberal. We have to be tough on the uncompetitive and useless or they will just ask for more, more, more. There is no reason why each and every one of them can't be a Bill Gates. But instead of improving themselves they smoke crack all day long.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    I see you have a good heart, but that good heart is turning you into a bleeding heart liberal. We have to be tough on the uncompetitive and useless or they will just ask for more, more, more. There is no reason why each and every one of them can't be a Bill Gates. But instead of improving themselves they smoke crack all day long.
    Qu'il mange de gateaux (excuse the spelling, French class was a long time ago)
    Let them eat cake!
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Only because about 75% of America probably doesn't know how to obtain low cost food or even grow their own.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food - Salon.com

    Looks like many of our citizens are struggling to get one of the basic needs in this world; food. One of the richest countries in the world, no wait THE richest country in the world, and nearly 25% of our citizens are struggling to get food. [/INDENT]

  10. #80
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Who would that be? I see no starving beggars on the street like in many if not most 3rd world countries.
    i do not see starving people
    but i see hungry people
    about 280 a week these days
    i am certain that some could afford to buy a meal for themselves if our soup kitchen was not open
    but i am equally certain that most who show up to eat would not have access to a meal otherwise
    which tells me we have hunger in the USA
    and since the great recession, the numbers have increased
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •