Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

  1. #51
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    can one truly be Christian and then oppose helping the least among us?
    Im SURE you can find anywhere I have said we shouldnt help those TRULY in need. Right?

    Some of us give of our time and resources freely, but we choose to give in ways that dont perpetuate the problems. But I ALWAYS love that you turn to religion Bubba....especially when it suits you. And yes...I DO believe that perpetual welfare systems that create generation after generation of crippled needy and dependent pets are not what you call 'helping' organizations...except where your intent is to 'help' parties get reelected.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Spending increased as unemployment increased, and unemployment increased because our manufacturing sector got gutted along with unions as we sold our jobs and worker rights to China.

    It all goes back to what the financial elites are doing to this country. More people on the tit of government because the government turned its back on responsible monetary policy, something which Bush exacerbated and Obama followed through on when we gave trillions to Wallstreet.
    That's a different topic altogether. Lets stick with your original claim that the Bush tax cuts for the middle class is keeping us from being able to support social systems. Given spending has doubled, how do you come to that conclusion? Heck, tax receipts are up nearly a trillion. So Im failing to see how the tax cuts affected social support at all.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    operated entirely by volunteers using food that can no longer be sold by the grocers
    and the folks line up to enjoy it - because they are hungry
    these are the folks some of you insist do not exist
    Then you and the other volunteers are really followers of Christ, regardless of what religion you may profess.

    But do you believe that there really is a quarter of Americans who would come to your soup kitchen, despite the billions spent on welfare by government and private organizations? That figure just seems implausible to me.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    The cheapest food is often the most unheathy, which is why the poor suffer from obesity as well. It costs more money to eat healthy, not to mention more education, things the poor often don't have, than it does to eat healthy and know what eating healthy is.

    Not saying I agree with the 25% statistics that seems to incredible
    That's a common argument but it's also bull****. It doesn't matter if you ate nothing but bacon and cheese, if you have a calorie deficiency you will lose weight, if you eat too much you will gain weight. There are very, very few exceptions to this rule (medical anomalies) to make them statistically insignificant.

    Americans are fat because they eat too much. Poor people are fat. Poor people eat too much. Therefore, poor people do not have a problem finding food, as the evidence indicates.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    That's a common argument but it's also bull****. It doesn't matter if you ate nothing but bacon and cheese, if you have a calorie deficiency you will lose weight, if you eat too much you will gain weight. There are very, very few exceptions to this rule (medical anomalies) to make them statistically insignificant.

    Americans are fat because they eat too much. Poor people are fat. Poor people eat too much. Therefore, poor people do not have a problem finding food, as the evidence indicates.
    I didn't say they had a problem finding food I said the cheapest food is often the least healthy and that to eat healthy requires both education on what is healthy and money, both of which the poor are often lacking.

    Next time respond to what I say, not the strawman you've invented in your head.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I didn't say they had a problem finding food I said the cheapest food is often the least healthy and that to eat healthy requires both education on what is healthy and money, both of which the poor are often lacking.

    Next time respond to what I say, not the strawman you've invented in your head.
    Is the cheapest food the highest in calories, really?

    I used to like prime rib until the restaurants started posting calorie counts. Did you know that even a small one has an entire day's worth of calories, and that's without the wine and dessert? Holy crap! I had no idea!

    And potatoes, not fried ones that is, are pretty low in calories, as are beans, eggs, oatmeal, and a whole host of inexpensive foods.

    I think perhaps the problem is the one that led me to order that prime rib too often: We don't know how many calories are in the food we eat.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Is the cheapest food the highest in calories, really?

    I used to like prime rib until the restaurants started posting calorie counts. Did you know that even a small one has an entire day's worth of calories, and that's without the wine and dessert? Holy crap! I had no idea!

    And potatoes, not fried ones that is, are pretty low in calories, as are beans, eggs, oatmeal, and a whole host of inexpensive foods.

    I think perhaps the problem is the one that led me to order that prime rib too often: We don't know how many calories are in the food we eat.
    I said the cheapest food is often the unhealthiest not the lowest in calories. Again, read what I say not what you want me to have said.

    Why Low-Income and Food Insecure People are Vulnerable to Overweight and Obesity Food Research & Action Center

    This is my source for my information, I think it explains it well in a short article.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I said the cheapest food is often the unhealthiest not the lowest in calories. Again, read what I say not what you want me to have said.

    Why Low-Income and Food Insecure People are Vulnerable to Overweight and Obesity Food Research & Action Center

    This is my source for my information, I think it explains it well in a short article.
    Lowest in calories, or highest? Highest in calories is what contributes to obesity.

    As for the availability of nutritious foods, the market will go where the demand is. If the poor use their government provided food stamps to purchase fresh produce, then fresh produce is what retailers will stock. If they use them to purchase cheeseburgers, that's what will be available.

    What we should do instead of providing food stamps is have food distribution centers in poor neighborhoods providing healthy fare at a subsidized rate. But, of course, that would require common sense, which is even in shorter supply than healthful foods in convenience stores.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Lowest in calories, or highest? Highest in calories is what contributes to obesity.

    As for the availability of nutritious foods, the market will go where the demand is. If the poor use their government provided food stamps to purchase fresh produce, then fresh produce is what retailers will stock. If they use them to purchase cheeseburgers, that's what will be available.

    What we should do instead of providing food stamps is have food distribution centers in poor neighborhoods providing healthy fare at a subsidized rate. But, of course, that would require common sense, which is even in shorter supply than healthful foods in convenience stores.
    You asked why the poor were obese and I provided an answer, just because if something were different that wouldn't be the case doesn't mean anything since that's obviously just a damn "what if." All these what ifs don't change the fact of what is going on.

    Also calories are not the only thing that contribute to obesity. And I never said that the food the poor often buy are not high in calories, and I never said it was the lowest in calories, in fact I never mentioned calories. I said unhealthiest.

    And lastly as the article states, its about more than their personal choices there are other compelling factors

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Report: Nearly a quarter of all Americans struggle to afford food

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    You asked why the poor were obese and I provided an answer, just because if something were different that wouldn't be the case doesn't mean anything since that's obviously just a damn "what if." All these what ifs don't change the fact of what is going on.

    Also calories are not the only thing that contribute to obesity. And I never said that the food the poor often buy are not high in calories, and I never said it was the lowest in calories, in fact I never mentioned calories. I said unhealthiest.

    And lastly as the article states, its about more than their personal choices there are other compelling factors
    Your original statement was

    The cheapest food is often the most unheathy, which is why the poor suffer from obesity as well. It costs more money to eat healthy, not to mention more education, things the poor often don't have, than it does to eat healthy and know what eating healthy is.
    The cheapest food is not necessarily what the poor are prone to buy. The cheapest includes things like beans and potatoes, chicken and eggs, prepared at home, and not fast food from the quickie mart or McDonalds. The former is pretty nutritious, the latter not.

    But you do make a good point that unhealthful food is widely available, and affects the choices that people both rich and poor make.

    But the idea that it costs more to eat healthful food than it does to eat junk is simply not so. It's a matter of education and choices.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •