Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 133

Thread: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Session

  1. #71
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's hypocrisy on a grand scale. Atheists don't want religion pushed on them, yet they want to push their belief that God doesn't exist on others.
    I saw nothing in the quote that claims that god doesn't exist.

  2. #72
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I saw nothing in the quote that claims that god doesn't exist.
    Dude! He's an atheist...LOL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #73
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Dude! He's an atheist...LOL!!!
    Well, there are different kinds of atheists. Not all are what one would call "active" atheists, in other words the type who actively believe that God, as a fact, does not exist. Quite a lot are passive atheists, like myself, which believe that as no evidence of God yet exists there is no serious need to accept the possibility that he exists.

    Based on Mendez's opening he may very possibly be a passive atheist. No way to know for sure, though.

  4. #74
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,557

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's hypocrisy on a grand scale. Atheists don't want religion pushed on them, yet they want to push their belief that God doesn't exist on others.
    I haven't seen a single poster preaching the gospel of atheism.

    Atheists, agnostics...or people perceived as non-believers have been subjected to persecution, torture, death for centuries and centuries at the hands of people determined physically and mentally force god down people's throats. Like despots, dictators, etc...for so many religions...control is the name of the game.

    And don't equate atheism to tyrants like Stalin. He, and others in history like him were a murdering psychopaths...you know, pretty much like religious leaders during the inquisition...and other periods...around the world...and it still goes on.

    Talk about hypocrisy...open your eyes...get honest about the horrific costs perpetrated on humanity in the name of god and/or religion.

  5. #75
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, there are different kinds of atheists. Not all are what one would call "active" atheists, in other words the type who actively believe that God, as a fact, does not exist. Quite a lot are passive atheists, like myself, which believe that as no evidence of God yet exists there is no serious need to accept the possibility that he exists.
    What's the practical difference? There is no evidence of a gorilla standing behind you right now, and thus no serious need to accept the possibility that there is. Isn't that a fact, then, that there is no such gorilla? You can say that there could be, but only if it were an invisible, silent gorilla, whose breath you couldn't feel, whose body heat you couldn't feel, who you couldn't smell, whose mass didn't emit any gravitational pull, and who you could then move right through. Isn't a complete lack of evidence for something grounds for it to be a fact that it isn't there?

    Is it a fact that my phone isn't going to come to life and try to bite me? Is it a fact that when I pluck a properly tuned low E string on my guitar, it will always play a low E and not suddenly emit a middle C? Is it a fact that when I go to sleep tonight with five toes on my right foot, I will not wake up with a sixth tomorrow? Sure, these all fall into the realm of things you cannot know for 100% certainty without an infinite data sample, but at some point, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% probability has to be enough to call it a fact. Complete lack of any evidence gives us such a probability. So what say you, are the invisible gorilla, the hungry phone, the tonedeaf guitar, and the extra toe precluded by fact, or mere assumption?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #76
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I haven't seen a single poster preaching the gospel of atheism.

    Atheists, agnostics...or people perceived as non-believers have been subjected to persecution, torture, death for centuries and centuries at the hands of people determined physically and mentally force god down people's throats. Like despots, dictators, etc...for so many religions...control is the name of the game.

    And don't equate atheism to tyrants like Stalin. He, and others in history like him were a murdering psychopaths...you know, pretty much like religious leaders during the inquisition...and other periods...around the world...and it still goes on.

    Talk about hypocrisy...open your eyes...get honest about the horrific costs perpetrated on humanity in the name of god and/or religion.
    Atheists push a belief: the belief that there is no god. Pushing that belief in the government is a violation of the 1st Amendment, too. i.e. the government can't tell people that there IS no god, because it violates religious freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #77
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Considering the constituents of a politician are living, breathing people, while god is a mythical beast with zero evidence, yes, you can behave rationally AND represent your constituents.

    If you're a politician that places god over your electorate, you are in dereliction of your duties.
    Both belief and non belief are irrational positions. Please prove God does not exist. Of course you can't, no more than a believer can 'prove' God does exist. Both positions are based on faith. I am an agnostic. Unlike my atheist and believer friends I'm not egotistical enough to proclaim to the world this or that. Again, Secular Humanism is a religion. Many of It's followers openly desire to convert humanity to their position. The gentleman from Arizona is a hypocrite. As a Secular Humanist he is attempting to impose his belief system on the State Legislature.

    "The most vigorous form of secular humanism in the world today seems to be Marxist humanism...Marxist humanism rejects theistic hypocrisy..."

    Kurtz, Paul - IN DEFENSE OF SECULAR HUMANISM, (Buffalo: Prometheus Press, 1983) p. 136

  8. #78
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, there are different kinds of atheists. Not all are what one would call "active" atheists, in other words the type who actively believe that God, as a fact, does not exist. Quite a lot are passive atheists, like myself, which believe that as no evidence of God yet exists there is no serious need to accept the possibility that he exists.

    Based on Mendez's opening he may very possibly be a passive atheist. No way to know for sure, though.
    You need to buy a dictionary and look up the word, "agnostic".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #79
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    Both belief and non belief are irrational positions. Please prove God does not exist. Of course you can't, no more than a believer can 'prove' God does exist. Both positions are based on faith. I am an agnostic. Unlike my atheist and believer friends I'm not egotistical enough to proclaim to the world this or that. Again, Secular Humanism is a religion. Many of It's followers openly desire to convert humanity to their position. The gentleman from Arizona is a hypocrite. As a Secular Humanist he is attempting to impose his belief system on the State Legislature.

    "The most vigorous form of secular humanism in the world today seems to be Marxist humanism...Marxist humanism rejects theistic hypocrisy..."

    Kurtz, Paul - IN DEFENSE OF SECULAR HUMANISM, (Buffalo: Prometheus Press, 1983) p. 136
    I'm a member of the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nobody has ever proven that he doesn't exist, therefore he just does.

    Making up things that can't be proven, then claiming they're fact because they can't be disproven, is weak and a detriment to our society. Politicians' #1 loyalty should be to their constituents, not their imaginary friends.

  10. #80
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Atheists push a belief: the belief that there is no god. Pushing that belief in the government is a violation of the 1st Amendment, too. i.e. the government can't tell people that there IS no god, because it violates religious freedom.
    Christians push a belief: the belief that there is a god. Pushing that belief in the government is a violation of the 1st Amendment, too. i.e. the government can't tell people that there IS a god, because it violates religious freedom.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •