Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 133

Thread: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Session

  1. #111
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    "When it comes to this sort of discussion and the assertion that atheists should be more "respectful" of theists' beliefs, I always come back to the flat-earthers. Should the rest of us respect their belief, or tell them to buy a globe and stop being dumb? Or explain to them how the appearance of the tops of objects over the horizon as you approach would not happen if the world were flat? Should anyone ever be faulted for telling people the verifiable truth?"

    Surely you are not connecting the flat earthers in England with serious non Darwinists are you? And, you really don't present Dawkins as the epitome of objectivity do you? He is one of the greatest proselytizers on earth. He is not unlike the AHA, their way is the only way. Dawkins and the state rep have a lot in common; religiosity. Your flat earth contention is but a well worn strawman in these types of discussions.
    Last edited by hfd; 05-25-13 at 07:52 PM.

  2. #112
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Atheism is based on lack of belief, not a belief. There is ZERO reason for me to believe that an invisible sky man is controlling the world. You have refused to provide evidence, so I must assume you are also full of ****.

    Why should your god in particular be without reproach and accepted without evidence, while all other gods should be ignored? What makes you so special?



    The unicorn assumed that he wanted it, because there was no evidence showing that he didn't want it. That's the way invisible **** works.
    Speaking of making things up. Now let's try it again. Please provide tangible evidence that a God does not exist. And you still haven't told us if you understand that the state rep in discussion is simply attempting to impose his religious beliefs on others. Try and discuss these things without telling me I'm full of ***8, that is, if you are capable of doing so.

    BTW: Please point out where I have said a God exists. I haven't, simply a useless page filler on your part in a discussion you are weak in. I've stated my religious position, that of agnosticism. Again, I don't presume to know of the existence or non existence of a Supreme Being. I'm waiting on you to provide the evidence that proves beyound a doubt that God does not exist. So far you have failed to do so.

  3. #113
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    Please provide tangible evidence that a God does not exist.
    This isn't the way it works.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  4. #114
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    This isn't the way it works.
    If somebody offers a statement as fact that individual needs to provide evidence of support. Quite simple. Can you provide tangible evidence that a God does not exist? Yes or no.

  5. #115
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    If somebody offers a statement as fact that individual needs to provide evidence of support. Quite simple. Can you provide tangible evidence that a God does not exist? Yes or no.
    No, if someone offers a positive claim one needs to provide evidence of support. Haven't you ever heard of the old adage "you can't prove a negative"? It's the very principle that, for example, our judicial system is based on: one is not obligated to prove their own innocence of a crime because, by its very nature, a negative proposition cannot be proven. I cannot demonstrate that vampires do not exist because of the very fact that they do not exist - there is no evidence to advance the claim. I can, however, inductively reason that they do not exist because our secondary knowledge of human biology (and the second law of thermodynamics) disallows their existence.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  6. #116
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    No, if someone offers a positive claim one needs to provide evidence of support. Haven't you ever heard of the old adage "you can't prove a negative"? It's the very principle that, for example, our judicial system is based on: one is not obligated to prove their own innocence of a crime because, by its very nature, a negative proposition cannot be proven. I cannot demonstrate that vampires do not exist because of the very fact that they do not exist - there is no evidence to advance the claim. I can, however, inductively reason that they do not exist because our secondary knowledge of human biology (and the second law of thermodynamics) disallows their existence.
    Yes, I've heard the old adage. You can reason all you want, however, if you, or anyone makes a claim that this or that doesn't exist evidence is needed to support that claim. Or one can intelligently say, I don't know.

  7. #117
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    Yes, I've heard the old adage. You can reason all you want, however, if you, or anyone makes a claim that this or that doesn't exist evidence is needed to support that claim. Or one can intelligently say, I don't know.
    Uh, no.

    Do you believe vampires exist, hfd? Unicorns? Charybdis and Scylla? The Jotun? Quetzalcoatl?

    Why not? Do you have any evidence they do not exist? Or have you inferred, logically, that they do not because of the absence of evidence to support their existence?
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  8. #118
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Yes, suprising that it was in Arizona. Anyway, it's a very good sign.
    Why is it surprising? Arizona never was an especially pious place. Maybe at the times when Mormons were building first houses of Mesa and Snowflake. It's not New Hampshire, but neither it is a part of the Bible Belt. If you look at the Arizonans that are/were prominent in politics and around - Barry Goldwater, John McCain, Sandra Day O'Connor, Carl Hayden et al - none of them could be considered social conservatives. I think a few years ago there was a Pew survey, and Arizona had about a quarter of its population "unaffiliated" with any religion - about as many as Roman Catholics, and by far more than the Evangelicals usually associated with the "religious right".

  9. #119
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Scientology: 500 thousand
    It's not a real religion just a cult.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    It's not a real religion just a cult.
    The difference between a religion and a cult? The numbers. You may argue the reasoning, but in the end, Christianity is no different than those that believed in the greek Gods. All religion is based on faith and no religion is more "credible" than any other.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •