Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 133

Thread: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Session

  1. #91
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    What's the practical difference? There is no evidence of a gorilla standing behind you right now, and thus no serious need to accept the possibility that there is. Isn't that a fact, then, that there is no such gorilla? You can say that there could be, but only if it were an invisible, silent gorilla, whose breath you couldn't feel, whose body heat you couldn't feel, who you couldn't smell, whose mass didn't emit any gravitational pull, and who you could then move right through. Isn't a complete lack of evidence for something grounds for it to be a fact that it isn't there?

    Is it a fact that my phone isn't going to come to life and try to bite me? Is it a fact that when I pluck a properly tuned low E string on my guitar, it will always play a low E and not suddenly emit a middle C? Is it a fact that when I go to sleep tonight with five toes on my right foot, I will not wake up with a sixth tomorrow? Sure, these all fall into the realm of things you cannot know for 100% certainty without an infinite data sample, but at some point, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% probability has to be enough to call it a fact. Complete lack of any evidence gives us such a probability. So what say you, are the invisible gorilla, the hungry phone, the tonedeaf guitar, and the extra toe precluded by fact, or mere assumption?
    By safe enough assumption to say that they're precluded by all existing observable knowledge. I sleep very, very well tonight in the fantastically safe assumption that there is no invisible gorilla behind me.

  2. #92
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    An agnostic accepts the possibility of a god. A passive atheist doesn't feel the need to accept the possibility.
    Still haven't looked at that dictionary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #93
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Still haven't looked at that dictionary?
    Actually I have. Your turn.

  4. #94
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Atheists push a belief: the belief that there is no god.
    Except, no. Atheism is not the belief of a lack of God, it is the lack of belief in God.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  5. #95
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't have to, the burden of proof is on the believers. Until something is proven to exist, it doesn't. Prove there isn't an invisible unicorn having sex with you right now.
    I can video the here and now to provide proof of not having sex with a unicorn, I'm not invisible. Nice try, now provide tangible evidence there ia no God. The burden of proof is a as much on non believers as it is on believers. Both groups make claims they simply cannot prove. Again the state rep in Az is attempting to impose his religious beliefs on others. I'm sure you can understand that.

  6. #96
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    I can video the here and now to provide proof of not having sex with a unicorn, I'm not invisible. Nice try, now provide tangible evidence there ia no God. The burden of proof is a as much on non believers as it is on believers. Both groups make claims they simply cannot prove. Again the state rep in Az is attempting to impose his religious beliefs on others. I'm sure you can understand that.
    You can not provide a video showing that an invisible unicorn is not raping you. You simply can't do it. Therefore, we HAVE to assume it is happening.

    Do you not see the insanity in this?

    There has to be proof for something to be true. I am an atheist; I believe there is no god. However, I am fully willing to change my views if I am provided with evidence for god. Until that point, I have to assume that you people made it up, just like I made up the story about a unicorn raping you.

    That's the way the burden of proof works. In order to make a positive claim, you must provide evidence, plain and simple.

  7. #97
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    By safe enough assumption to say that they're precluded by all existing observable knowledge. I sleep very, very well tonight in the fantastically safe assumption that there is no invisible gorilla behind me.
    So then what's the difference in these types of atheists? What's the difference between "actively believing" that there is no god and concluding that there isn't based on lack of evidence. I suppose if you define "belief" the way that theists tend to, which is adhering to a position despite contradictory evidence, but in basically every other case, belief is a conclusion based on knowledge. I believe that you are no plagued by an invisible gorilla. Because of the available evidence. So, what makes it "active"?

    This reminds me a bit of the whole assertion about "militant" atheists. That is, atheists that try to prove their case, rather than just quietly blending into the theistic society around them and pretending not to be different. It seems like a distinction that only exists in the minds of detractors, and shows how much they cannot stand having anything less than a complete stranglehold on society. And how they are so used to having it that they don't realize it for what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You can not provide a video showing that an invisible unicorn is not raping you. You simply can't do it. Therefore, we HAVE to assume it is happening.
    Jeez, man. At least my invisible gorilla isn't raping anyone.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #98
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    People are becoming increasingly creative in their non-sequitor analogies attempting to debunk the divine. While an atheist myself, I have no way of constructing a valid statement to prove an unequivocal point that believing is a fallacy.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  9. #99
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You can not provide a video showing that an invisible unicorn is not raping you. You simply can't do it. Therefore, we HAVE to assume it is happening.

    Do you not see the insanity in this?

    There has to be proof for something to be true. I am an atheist; I believe there is no god. However, I am fully willing to change my views if I am provided with evidence for god. Until that point, I have to assume that you people made it up, just like I made up the story about a unicorn raping you.

    That's the way the burden of proof works. In order to make a positive claim, you must provide evidence, plain and simple.
    No, there does not have to be proof for something to be true. There has to be tangible evidence for something to be factual. Neither you nor John Hagee can demonstrate your truths. One is right and one is wrong, both positions are based on faith and belief, not presentable fact. Again the State Rep is trying to impose his religious beliefs on a governmental body. You do understand that don't you?

  10. #100
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: Atheist State Lawmaker Quotes Carl Sagan Instead of Doing Prayer Before House Ses

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    People are becoming increasingly creative in their non-sequitor analogies attempting to debunk the divine. While an atheist myself, I have no way of constructing a valid statement to prove an unequivocal point that believing is a fallacy.
    Good post.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •