Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 135

Thread: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

  1. #41
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So you agree that this entire bill is about cost shifting. Forcing people onto the system with individual mandates and limiting flexible spending accounts. The old getting paid for by the young. The obese getting paid for the in-shape. The poor getting paid for by everyone. It is by definition a moral hazard.
    Flexible spending accounts don't impress me much, but I don't believe they are outlawed in any way. And yes, the young do have to pay, and they will be old one day. However, too many young over estimate their invulnerability and end up passing costs on to everyone else.

    As for moral hazard, allowing any segment of the population to not be able to receive necessary healthcare is not only immoral, but a public health issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Because it is a terrible bill, and you still are avoiding talking about what is actually in it.
    Not at all. I merely answered a point made by someone else.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Facts would be talking about the bill. Talking points would be talking about Republicans.
    Depends on the point before us. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And as I recall those ideas were shot down the first time. If those idea's were shot down once then what makes you think that those idea's would be acceptable now?

    Oh wait...you're just using a meme....nvm.
    Again, not sure that matters to the point made.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As for moral hazard, allowing any segment of the population to not be able to receive necessary healthcare is not only immoral,
    Who do we not allow to receive necessary healthcare?

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Who do we not allow to receive necessary healthcare?
    Who should be denied? Again, denying any group eventually becomes a public health concern.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Who should be denied? Again, denying any group eventually becomes a public health concern.
    Again, who are we denying necessary healthcare?

  8. #48
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Again, who are we denying necessary healthcare?
    Many. Sure, emergencies cannot be denied from the ER, but by then it is largely too late on the whole. And quite costly. It is reactive, and not proactive. It also assures pass along costs and has led to emergency room being misused.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, not sure that matters to the point made.
    Some how I got a feeling that you do, you're just ignoring it. Yes in previous years some of what is in Obamacare was suggested by Repbulicans. But those ideas were shot down, not just by other Senators and such but also by the People who disapproved of those ideas...and still do. When those ideas were brought up again, by the Democrats, the Republicans this time sided with the People because the People opposed those ideas just as they did when Republicans suggested them years before. IE The Republicans sided with the majority of the People. The Democrats went against the majority of the People.

    So your point that they were at one time Republican ideas holds no water anymore because the Republicans dropped those ideas when they first got shot down. The Democrats picked them up again for Obamacare and despite what the majority of the People said and wanted voted for those ideas...making them Democrat ideas. Not Republican, because again, Republicans dropped the idea.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #50
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: Snowe: President thought opposition to health law would eventually fade away

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Many. Sure, emergencies cannot be denied from the ER, but by then it is largely too late on the whole. And quite costly. It is reactive, and not proactive. It also assures pass along costs and has led to emergency room being misused.
    Can you provide an example of a person who could have been treated but was denied and therefore had to get that care at the ER?

    EDIT:
    What characterizes this segment of the population?
    Last edited by Taylor; 05-21-13 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarification

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •