Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 227

Thread: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

  1. #61
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Wow, talk about a witty reply. So you think shareholders are personally liable for corporations they have stock in?

    BWHAAHHAHAHHAHAH!

    God the, tea party is all knownothing all the time.


    Piercing the Corporate Veil legal definition of Piercing the Corporate Veil. Piercing the Corporate Veil synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

    Piercing the Corporate Veil: When LLCs and Corporations May be at Risk | Nolo.com


    I understand, "uninformed" is a part of the Progressive Mission statement, but most don't try to be so visible when proving the point.

    Perhaps you should actually learn something about Corporations and Shareholders before chewing your feet down to your ankles.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is kinda why the articles of confederation failed.

    But if those companies use American resources and infrastructure and government which is funded by American tax payers, then they can pay up to help fund all the things they use. There's no such thing as a free lunch
    No, the AOC failed due to the government not having the power to tax. It had nothing to do with people not accepting the idea of the government taking money from them by force. Ah...I mean doing business with the government.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, the AOC failed due to the government not having the power to tax. It had nothing to do with people not accepting the idea of the government taking money from them by force. Ah...I mean doing business with the government.
    Yes, the problem was that they couldn't collect taxes. So here you're advocating people hiding money away to avoid paying taxes. If you aggregate that enough you fall into the same thing which sunk the Articles. Government will not be able to collect taxes. As much as taxation sucks, to have something like America takes money, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes, the problem was that they couldn't collect taxes. So here you're advocating people hiding money away to avoid paying taxes. If you aggregate that enough you fall into the same thing which sunk the Articles. Government will not be able to collect taxes. As much as taxation sucks, to have something like America takes money, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    I advocate people hide money from a government that just takes money from its citizens without any sort of consent from the party being acted on. If the government sees it fit to form its tax system around such an uncivil and violent act that is their problem. I will still advocate people do what is in their power to resist. Furthermore, my statement is factual. People have a right to their property and as such all parties must get their consent if they are to take it. Yes, that means that people have a right to defend their property by hiding it from the thieves.
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-22-13 at 04:48 PM.

  5. #65
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    If the feds don't want people performing these legal maneuvers to "shelter" money from taxes, then maybe they should change the law, instead of just bitching about it.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Then don't you think it's unfair to allow corporations to commit crimes without traditional punishment? Or are you OK with that? It seems very unfair to me.
    No, corporations are not people, they are ideas.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is kinda why the articles of confederation failed.

    But if those companies use American resources and infrastructure and government which is funded by American tax payers, then they can pay up to help fund all the things they use. There's no such thing as a free lunch
    They don't pay up because they pass the cost down to people, ie. YOU. By taxing them all you do is employ accountants and create inefficiency, which again costs you more.

  8. #68
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Excellent excuse to allow criminal behavior without consequences.


    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    No, corporations are not people, they are ideas.

  9. #69
    Guru
    CJ 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Why? Because they are avoiding taxes.
    And here's the issue. You are taxing income earned in foreign jurisdictions, where the company is already subject to foreign taxes. It is simply confiscatory and a major contributing factor to failure of the US economy to perform as well as it should.

    And the reaction to making this "illegal" would be simple.

    Apple, welcome to Canada. Glad to have you aboard.

    US extraterritorial nonsense may be viewed as a "right" by Americans who like to leech off foreign production and consumption, but it does nothing for you overall.

    This is just an illustration of that at play.
    Last edited by CJ 2.0; 05-22-13 at 06:22 PM.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post


    Piercing the Corporate Veil legal definition of Piercing the Corporate Veil. Piercing the Corporate Veil synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

    Piercing the Corporate Veil: When LLCs and Corporations May be at Risk | Nolo.com


    I understand, "uninformed" is a part of the Progressive Mission statement, but most don't try to be so visible when proving the point.

    Perhaps you should actually learn something about Corporations and Shareholders before chewing your feet down to your ankles.
    Pssst: you can only pierce the veil if the corporation is in fact a veil -- i.e., a fraud because it's undercapitalized from the start.

    So now you're claiming you were only talking about fraudulent corps? Keep dancing.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •