Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 227

Thread: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And Apple benefits tremendously from US government spending. You think they should just get it for free?
    You know, I don't respond to the "you didn't build that" kind of argument. There is no reason to use it against me. In the end, the business is profitable because of the actions of the people that work there. Roads don't make a business successful, but just make it easier for people to do business with the party that is providing the service. That is all it does for the business.

    If someone is smart enough to avoid paying any taxes to a party that is only interesting in taking money from people without their consent and desires to use taxes to punish people and behaviors, yes, I support them a hundred percent. I would also like to know how they did it.

  2. #42
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Why? Because they are avoiding taxes.
    But the law says they don't have to pay it. So your argument must assume that there is some moral obligation to pay more than the legal requirements?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #43
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You know, I don't respond to the "you didn't build that" kind of argument. There is no reason to use it against me. In the end, the business is profitable because of the actions of the people that work there. Roads don't make a business successful, but just make it easier for people to do business with the party that is providing the service. That is all it does for the business.

    If someone is smart enough to avoid paying any taxes to a party that is only interesting in taking money from people without their consent and desires to use taxes to punish people and behaviors, yes, I support them a hundred percent. I would also like to know how they did it.
    Roads don't make a business successful, but without roads they wouldn't be successful. And it's more than just roads. It's a stable, safe environment to work in. Police protect the streets. Military protects the border. Schools make useful workers. The lights always turn on because there's an incredibly stable power grid and when it fails in a major way there's a major response. And the customers have reasonable assurance that whatever product they buy will be safe and work as advertised, because someone is checking up on that business from time to time.

    Nothing happens in a vacuum. It doesn't really matter whether or not you like the idea.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Roads don't make a business successful, but without roads they wouldn't be successful. And it's more than just roads. It's a stable, safe environment to work in. Police protect the streets. Military protects the border. Schools make useful workers. The lights always turn on because there's an incredibly stable power grid and when it fails in a major way there's a major response. And the customers have reasonable assurance that whatever product they buy will be safe and work as advertised, because someone is checking up on that business from time to time.

    Nothing happens in a vacuum. It doesn't really matter whether or not you like the idea.
    Apple has a budget to balance and they do it. When the government controls their spending sufficiently to cover their expanses then perhaps they might be listened to. As it is they are out of control.

  5. #45
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Good for Apple. They still pay seven billion and they just pass that down to us in prices anyway. Lower the corporate tax to zero and they wont have to play these games. Problem solved.
    Yea and that would be just glorious.... The deficit, the services, etc. Just imagine how awesome it would be


  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    It's an interesting perspective and while I certainly don't agree with you I respect your honesty in expressing your feelings that a corporation is more valuable than you are. Since there have been severak ases of severe corporate crime recently in the pharmaceutical and banking industry and they were punished with fines for actions that would have resulted in a life sentence for an individual, I would say that yours is the more accepted opinion.
    A corporation is property, which is why its more valuable, and less interactive with the govt. Laws are for people, not constructs.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Roads don't make a business successful, but without roads they wouldn't be successful. And it's more than just roads. It's a stable, safe environment to work in. Police protect the streets. Military protects the border. Schools make useful workers. The lights always turn on because there's an incredibly stable power grid and when it fails in a major way there's a major response. And the customers have reasonable assurance that whatever product they buy will be safe and work as advertised, because someone is checking up on that business from time to time.

    Nothing happens in a vacuum. It doesn't really matter whether or not you like the idea.
    And citizens should pay for those things, not the organizations they are a part of.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yea and that would be just glorious.... The deficit, the services, etc. Just imagine how awesome it would be
    It would be no different. Corporate taxes only account for 200 billion dollars. The govt spends 3500 billion.

  9. #49
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    Didn't a recent SCOTUS ruling called Citizens United change that? Don't the individuals who make corporate decisions have any personal liability? Are constructs sentient?


    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    A corporation is property, which is why its more valuable, and less interactive with the govt. Laws are for people, not constructs.

  10. #50
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Senate investigators: Apple sheltered $44 billion from taxes

    The laws are backwards. We tax the money they spend here and gift them the money the don't spend here. Seems ridiculous.

    How about no tax for what they make here and tax the overseas income? Wouldn't that make more sense?





    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yea and that would be just glorious.... The deficit, the services, etc. Just imagine how awesome it would be

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •