Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 106

Thread: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects light

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Actually, the literal translation would say that the bible says to be light or to be illuminated by light. So, you got that wrong. But you did include some nice name calling at the end. I'm sensing a pattern here.
    Yes, yes, now you're pretending to be a Hebrew Scholar.

    The verse is taking literally by many Christian Righties who dispute your gloss, as to most real scholars.

    But you're reduced to pretending that glossing this verse (badly) will somehow make the Bible compatible with history and science. It won't. Jesus, Genesis 1 has God making the sun AFTER the earth, which of course didn't happen.

    Doesn't matter to me, since I'm not a heretical literalist and I realize Genesis is metaphor. But the Religious Right, they don't get it.

  2. #82
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So what you're saying is that the Hebrews knew, when they wrote the old testament that the light reflected by the moon came from the sun? Which would also imply they had a working concept of the earth's rotation? You can't claim the moon reflects light unless you understand how planets rotate around the sun. A thought which wasn't even all that popular in most of the Western world until after Galileo. So how did the Hebrews speak about a reflection they didn't even know was happening? Nope. Your argument doesn't add up.
    The Bible was written by God...I'm guessing he knew how things worked
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So what you're saying is that the Hebrews knew, when they wrote the old testament that the light reflected by the moon came from the sun? Which would also imply they had a working concept of the earth's rotation? You can't claim the moon reflects light unless you understand how planets rotate around the sun. A thought which wasn't even all that popular in most of the Western world until after Galileo. So how did the Hebrews speak about a reflection they didn't even know was happening? Nope. Your argument doesn't add up.
    He can't make up his mind whether to read Genesis literally and make a fool of himself or read it metaphorically, and thus contradict the premise of literalism that makes the Christian Right and its ugly heretical form of Christianity tick.

    He'll pingpong back and forth like they all do.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    The Bible was written by God...I'm guessing he knew how things worked
    The God of the Gaps? Spare us the nonsense. It's simple buddy, you can't claim they meant a reflection unless you show us that there existed enough knowledge around that time to see it as a reflection. As the main usage of the word seems to be a source of light, and that's how it's used for "greater light", you can't claim it wasn't also used for "lesser light".
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    The Bible was written by God...I'm guessing he knew how things worked
    No, it was written by people who had insights about God. And of course the Bible isn't even one book, but dozens of texts written by dozens of authors at different time for differnt audiences with different views about God.

    But thanks for admitting you don't want history and facts to get in the way of your ideology.

    By the way, did God literally write the Bible, using a pen? Did he sit at a desk. Go into more detail about this writer you call God.

  6. #86
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Yes, yes, now you're pretending to be a Hebrew Scholar.

    The verse is taking literally by many Christian Righties who dispute your gloss, as to most real scholars.

    But you're reduced to pretending that glossing this verse (badly) will somehow make the Bible compatible with history and science. It won't. Jesus, Genesis 1 has God making the sun AFTER the earth, which of course didn't happen.

    Doesn't matter to me, since I'm not a heretical literalist and I realize Genesis is metaphor. But the Religious Right, they don't get it.
    Just because you claim the christian right (who ever that is) believe that the moon emits lights, doesn't mean you are correct. I'd like for you to find us a poll or survey that shows Christians believe the moon emits light.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  7. #87
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The God of the Gaps? Spare us the nonsense. It's simple buddy, you can't claim they meant a reflection unless you show us that there existed enough knowledge around that time to see it as a reflection. As the main usage of the word seems to be a source of light, and that's how it's used for "greater light", you can't claim it wasn't also used for "lesser light".
    Seriously...God wrote the Bible. He knows how things work. That's the point of faith. It isn't about applying scientific logic. I don't have to expect that who ever penned Genesis understood planetary movement because he wasn't the true author...he was more of a stenographer. Other wise, we'd have to believe the person that penned the words also understood the big bang theory, the formation of the planet, the mass extinction of the dinosaurs and evolution as all are generally outlined in the Old Testament with a great deal of accuracy.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Just because you claim the christian right (who ever that is) believe that the moon emits lights, doesn't mean you are correct. I'd like for you to find us a poll or survey that shows Christians believe the moon emits light.
    There is a form of knownothing Christianity, associated politically with the Tea Party and the rest of the conservative knownothings, who hate science and who constantly gloss the bible for their own ugly political and religious ends (a religious end that I insist is heresy).

    Those are the people who booed Nye. And instead of criticizing them for their knownothingism, you're attacking Nye. Typical.

  9. #89
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    No, it was written by people who had insights about God. And of course the Bible isn't even one book, but dozens of texts written by dozens of authors at different time for differnt audiences with different views about God.
    Really? You don't say? The Bible is more than one book? Get out of here. I didn't know that.


    C'mon, get serious.


    But thanks for admitting you don't want history and facts to get in the way of your ideology.

    By the way, did God literally write the Bible, using a pen? Did he sit at a desk. Go into more detail about this writer you call God.
    See my post above.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Seriously...God wrote the Bible. He knows how things work. That's the point of faith. It isn't about applying scientific logic. I don't have to expect that who ever penned Genesis understood planetary movement because he wasn't the true author...he was more of a stenographer. Other wise, we'd have to believe the person that penned the words also understood the big bang theory, the formation of the planet, the mass extinction of the dinosaurs and evolution as all are generally outlined in the Old Testament with a great deal of accuracy.
    Seriously, God didn't write the bible. Men did. I think it's borderline heresy to claim otherwise (Moses is considered the author of Genesis and the Pentateuch by orthodox Christianity, whch is fanciful but closer to the truth than your version)

    Did God sit at a desk when he wrote the bible? Did he use a pen? Go into detail. Wait, now you've abandoned literalism. How convenient.
    Last edited by head of joaquin; 05-21-13 at 08:38 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •