Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 106

Thread: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects light

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Well, you proved my point in the other thread and this one. 1. you can't avoid name calling and 2. the fallacy that the Bible says the moon emits light is a concoction of a liberal mind
    You've proved my point: you can't address the issue that Nye is a scientist not a theologian, and the tea party types you defend are neither.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Except my original point is that the Bible doesn't say the moon emits light. The hebrew word used in the passage means to be light or be illuminated by light depending on the context.

    Contradictions: By the Light of the Moon - Answers in Genesis
    Yes, yes, gloss away. The fact is the literalists think it does say that (and in fact it does SAY it, but you are not taking it literally).

    Funny how the Christian Right take the bible literally when it suits their bankrupt politics, but they don't when it doesn't. It's bad science, bad hermeneutics and bad Christianity. St Augustine would laugh at the Christian Right, if not accuse them of heresy.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I like Bill, but I've seen him speak and he's no Mister Rodgers, he can be a bit of an elitist ass. It should be noted the site this story drives to is an ad/pop-under rich site that appears to be short on content and long on getting folks to visit for the click-throughs.
    So now scientific knowledge is elitist?

    Conservatives: they just don't like knowledge.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Yes it is. Based on the perspective of the observer. If the night has light that comes from the moon, the moon is a light source, even if the moon is nothing more than a reflector, it is still a source. To put it another way, without the moon there would be no light at night (aside from the stars in the sky). The moon provides light through reflection, it just doesn't create it.
    Contorted glosses don't change the fact that the Christian Right DOES take Genesis literally, so you're arguing against your own team and don't seem to realize it.

  5. #75
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    You've proved my point: you can't address the issue that Nye is a scientist not a theologian, and the tea party types you defend are neither.
    Actually, I did address that Nye is not a theologian by addressing his misuse of the verse.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Actually, I did address that Nye is not a theologian by addressing his misuse of the verse.
    You ignored the fact that the Christian Right is literalist and are worst theologians than Nye.

    Of course.

    As to misusing versing, that's the sum total of what the Christian Right is: the misuse of the bible.

    But it is fun to watch you pretend that the bible isn't filled with nonfactual claims that are at odds with science. Glossing one verse (badly) won't help you there.

  7. #77
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Yes, yes, gloss away. The fact is the literalists think it does say that (and in fact it does SAY it, but you are not taking it literally).

    Funny how the Christian Right take the bible literally when it suits their bankrupt politics, but they don't when it doesn't. It's bad science, bad hermeneutics and bad Christianity. St Augustine would laugh at the Christian Right, if not accuse them of heresy.
    Actually, the literal translation would say that the bible says to be light or to be illuminated by light. So, you got that wrong. But you did include some nice name calling at the end. I'm sensing a pattern here.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #78
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    You ignored the fact that the Christian Right is literalist and are worst theologians than Nye.

    Of course.

    As to misusing versing, that's the sum total of what the Christian Right is: the misuse of the bible.

    But it is fun to watch you pretend that the bible isn't filled with nonfactual claims that are at odds with science.
    Ok, so you admit Nye misused the verse and so the whole thread is now moot. Thank you. But nice name calling...I'm sensing a pattern here.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Ok, so you admit Nye misused the verse and so the whole thread is now moot. Thank you. But nice name calling...I'm sensing a pattern here.
    Hey look kids, Ksu is admitting he's mischaracterized what I said!

    See how easy that is.

    You've badly glossed the verse. Which is what the Christian Right has to do. But in any case, you're making the case against literalism, whch is OK with me and I suspect Nye. Christian literalism is both bad theology and bad science.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Except my original point is that the Bible doesn't say the moon emits light. The hebrew word used in the passage means to be light or be illuminated by light depending on the context.

    Contradictions: By the Light of the Moon - Answers in Genesis
    So what you're saying is that the Hebrews knew, when they wrote the old testament that the light reflected by the moon came from the sun? Which would also imply they had a working concept of the earth's rotation? You can't claim the moon reflects light unless you understand how planets rotate around the sun. So how did the Hebrews speak about a reflection they didn't even know was happening? Nope. Your argument doesn't add up.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 05-21-13 at 08:21 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •