Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106

Thread: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects light

  1. #91
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    There is a form of knownothing Christianity, associated politically with the Tea Party and the rest of the conservative knownothings, who hate science and who constantly gloss the bible for their own ugly political and religious ends (a religious end that I insist is heresy).

    Those are the people who booed Nye. And instead of criticizing them for their knownothingism, you're attacking Nye. Typical.
    Do you not understand the concept of proof?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Really? You don't say? The Bible is more than one book? Get out of here. I didn't know that.


    C'mon, get serious.



    See my post above.
    You can gaffaw all you like. You made the claim that God literally wrote a "book' made of dozens of manuscripts written over centuries, including ones whose authors we know. Don't blame me if I point out the lunacy of the claim.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Do you not understand the concept of proof?
    I understand the concept of dancing when somebody challenges your incoherent and counterfactual claims.

  4. #94
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    You can gaffaw all you like. You made the claim that God literally wrote a "book' made of dozens of manuscripts written over centuries, including ones whose authors we know. Don't blame me if I point out the lunacy of the claim.
    Right back to name calling. Are you unfamiliar with the concept of divine inspiration?


    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    I understand the concept of dancing when somebody challenges your incoherent and counterfactual claims.
    Ha...ok.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Right back to name calling. Are you unfamiliar with the concept of divine inspiration?
    I understand it isn't literal.

    You need to make up your mind about that. I have no problem taking Genesis symbolically because I'm not a heretic like the Christian Right and I don't expect Genesis to be a geology text book. But if you are going to go down the literal route, you're stuck with it.

  6. #96
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    I understand it isn't literal.

    You need to make up your mind about that. I have no problem taking Genesis symbolically because I'm not a heretic like the Christian Right and I don't expect Genesis to be a geology text book. But if you are going to go down the literal route, you're stuck with it.
    But the literal route actually is nothing like what Nye or your claimed, so your point is not relevant. You've based your entire argument on fallacies and name calling and haven't provided one shred of supporting data.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  7. #97
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Seriously...God wrote the Bible. He knows how things work. That's the point of faith. It isn't about applying scientific logic. I don't have to expect that who ever penned Genesis understood planetary movement because he wasn't the true author...he was more of a stenographer. Other wise, we'd have to believe the person that penned the words also understood the big bang theory, the formation of the planet, the mass extinction of the dinosaurs and evolution as all are generally outlined in the Old Testament with a great deal of accuracy.
    Eh? What? There's nothing even remotely generally outlined in the bible about mass extinction of dinosaurs as there isn't even a mention of dinosaurs in the bible. You can't even claim "God" wrote the bible as the existing evidence only suggests it was written by men and men alone. Again, the god of the gaps is a mighty one. Generally mentioned accounts of dinosaurs that get lost for 1600 years? No mention of anything which wouldn't have been known at the time? No mention of bacteria? No mention of viruses? Cells? But sketched out drawings of dinosaurs somehow make it in? Again, your logic is seriously flawed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    But the literal route actually is nothing like what Nye or your claimed, so your point is not relevant. You've based your entire argument on fallacies and name calling and haven't provided one shred of supporting data.
    Honestly, your Hebrew scholarship is dubious.

    Meanwhile, if you keep pretending that Genesis isn't filled with counterfactual and unscientific claims, I'll keep pretending to listen to you.

  9. #99
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    The fact that the moon reflects light from the sun is a Texas 5th grade TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) curriculum standard students are supposed to learn.

    Objective 6:The student knows that some change occurs in cycles

    SE (Student Expectation) 6A: Identify events and describe changes that occur on a regular basis such as in daily, weekly, lunar, and seasonal cycles.

    The shape and position of the moon in the sky is visible because sun light reflects off it. This allows you to identify whether it is waxing, waning, lunar cycles, etc.

    I guess those folks from Waco really aren't smarter than a 5th grader.
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 05-21-13 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: When Bill Nye, the Science Guy, got booed in Texas for saying the moon reflects l

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    If I was there I would have boo'd him for not understanding the passage. The passage never says the moon emits light, just that it is the source of light at night. Reflected light is still a source of light. Bill Nye is a liberal that tried to twist the words of the Bible in the Bible belt. He should have known he'd get boo'd. He probably did know.
    I believe you are correct. Nye can be caustic, especially when it comes to the bible. I imagine if he had gave the same lecture without quoting bible verses with the intent of attacking them, no one would have booed.

    BTW, I don't appreciate all the insults about Texas, I was born here and still live here today. What pisses me off most about these insults is they are not nearly as good as the ones about other states I hear at the barber shop when I get my hair cut (what little hair I have left).

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •