Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 10 Worst States for Retirement

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    10 Worst States for Retirement

    Hint: Most of them would be called "Blue States"

    Beware of the beach! Watch out for historic neighborhoods, vineyards, sweeping verandas -- especially if you're about to retire. These places will steal your heart and get you thinking about a permanent move before you've considered all the angles.

    And there are many. Bankrate analyzed a variety of data, including state taxes, local crime rates, access to medical care and cost of living. We found that some of the prettiest, most touristy states in the nation are also some of the toughest on retirees.

    Here, in descending order, are 10 of the lowest-ranking states for retirement based on our criteria.

    No. 10: Delaware

    Delaware is home to excellent beaches, hiking trails and other natural beauties. It's also a shopper's haven since it doesn't levy sales taxes on consumers. Yet, despite relatively low state and local taxes and a temperate climate, The First State can be tougher on retirees than many other states. Its cost of living is higher than average, according to data from the Council for Community and Economic Research, and access to medical care is below average.

    Delaware's crime rate also is among the highest in the nation, with 3,970 property and violent crimes per 100,000 people, according to the FBI's 2011 Uniform Crime Report.

    No. 9: Minnesota

    10 Worst States for Retirement - Yahoo! Finance

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Hint: Most of them would be called "Blue States"

    Beware of the beach! Watch out for historic neighborhoods, vineyards, sweeping verandas -- especially if you're about to retire. These places will steal your heart and get you thinking about a permanent move before you've considered all the angles.

    And there are many. Bankrate analyzed a variety of data, including state taxes, local crime rates, access to medical care and cost of living. We found that some of the prettiest, most touristy states in the nation are also some of the toughest on retirees.

    Here, in descending order, are 10 of the lowest-ranking states for retirement based on our criteria.

    No. 10: Delaware

    Delaware is home to excellent beaches, hiking trails and other natural beauties. It's also a shopper's haven since it doesn't levy sales taxes on consumers. Yet, despite relatively low state and local taxes and a temperate climate, The First State can be tougher on retirees than many other states. Its cost of living is higher than average, according to data from the Council for Community and Economic Research, and access to medical care is below average.

    Delaware's crime rate also is among the highest in the nation, with 3,970 property and violent crimes per 100,000 people, according to the FBI's 2011 Uniform Crime Report.

    No. 9: Minnesota

    10 Worst States for Retirement - Yahoo! Finance
    Well, I question why on EARTH Illinois isn't on the list -- it should be #1 as far as I'm concerned.

    • Our state's public pension system is in a terrible mess.
    • The state assembly is in the process of transferring $800 millio in pension shortfalls to Illinois property owners in the form of property taxes.
    • Property taxes, at least in suburban Chicago, are outrageous.
    • Our state income tax rates were recently increased by 65+% to 5% with no exclusion for Federally tax-free income.



    Why that doesn't rank it as the least desirable state to retire in I can't imagine.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, I question why on EARTH Illinois isn't on the list -- it should be #1 as far as I'm concerned.

    • Our state's public pension system is in a terrible mess.
    • The state assembly is in the process of transferring $800 millio in pension shortfalls to Illinois property owners in the form of property taxes.
    • Property taxes, at least in suburban Chicago, are outrageous.
    • Our state income tax rates were recently increased by 65+% to 5% with no exclusion for Federally tax-free income.



    Why that doesn't rank it as the least desirable state to retire in I can't imagine.
    Because, they averaged out for the whole state instead of focusing on regions/cities within a state. Cost of living, taxes, crime rates, etc are always worse in Urban areas vs rural. While Chicago area may be bad, there appears to be possibility that better areas exist in your state.

    From a political stand point, it appears that crime, cost of living, taxes etc are also worse in Liberal areas vs non-liberal areas, just look at voting maps for each state and you will see that liberalism is mainly focused in heavily urbanized areas.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #4
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    I'll be heading to the Space Coast of Florida, and it has nothing to do with politics, taxes, or anything but endless warm, blue water.

    A little 25 foot center console open fish with a 300 Mercury Pro FourStoke (and a little kicker motor) and I'll be in heaven while I'm waiting to see if I get to go to the other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not believe any amount of people committing suicide with firearms justifies requiring firearm sellers to preach to customers about suicide regardless if it would or wouldn't save those who commit suicide.

  5. #5
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Hint: Most of them would be called "Blue States"

    Beware of the beach! Watch out for historic neighborhoods, vineyards, sweeping verandas -- especially if you're about to retire. These places will steal your heart and get you thinking about a permanent move before you've considered all the angles.

    And there are many. Bankrate analyzed a variety of data, including state taxes, local crime rates, access to medical care and cost of living. We found that some of the prettiest, most touristy states in the nation are also some of the toughest on retirees.

    Here, in descending order, are 10 of the lowest-ranking states for retirement based on our criteria.

    No. 10: Delaware

    Delaware is home to excellent beaches, hiking trails and other natural beauties. It's also a shopper's haven since it doesn't levy sales taxes on consumers. Yet, despite relatively low state and local taxes and a temperate climate, The First State can be tougher on retirees than many other states. Its cost of living is higher than average, according to data from the Council for Community and Economic Research, and access to medical care is below average.

    Delaware's crime rate also is among the highest in the nation, with 3,970 property and violent crimes per 100,000 people, according to the FBI's 2011 Uniform Crime Report.

    No. 9: Minnesota

    10 Worst States for Retirement - Yahoo! Finance
    -----------------
    Well, I see my dark blue state placed #4.
    Cost of living is considered too high.
    As someone who intends to take an early retirement next year, I plan to stay in this state.
    My retirement won't enable me to live a lavish lifestyle, but I'll be comfortable in my beautiful state.
    Can't beat the weather or the scenery.
    Living expenses are only as high as you let them become.
    If disaster strikes, you're screwed wherever you live.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    I'm building our retirement home in NE Washington which is on the list. I moved here because land was cheap and population was low. The crime they talk about is on the coast, the blue side of the state. The east side of Washington is redneck and red, I fit right in.My particular county is very conservative and freedom loving and they have a building code clause that is extremely rare in America. It is the owner builder exemption. If you are building your own house and are not in sight of a county road and are 1000 feet from your property line you are exempt from all building codes, no inspectors snooping around and you can build and live in anything you see fit. That my friends is freedom and what America once was.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I'll be heading to the Space Coast of Florida, and it has nothing to do with politics, taxes, or anything but endless warm, blue water.

    A little 25 foot center console open fish with a 300 Mercury Pro FourStoke (and a little kicker motor) and I'll be in heaven while I'm waiting to see if I get to go to the other one.
    Go to the carolina coast instead. It has better weather, less humidity and more livable days in the warm and moderate areas. Florida has been ramping up taxes and the cost of living is higher. The carolinas also have some great retirement communities and are not in the middle of high crime areas and gated all to hell because the surrounding population hates the old people. Yes, you will grow to hate the bitter elderly in florida. I have never seen a state full of so many old angry assholes. I grew up in NY and jersey. I have dealt with assholes for many years of my life and the elderly in florida make NY people look like Ellen Degeneres. They are horrible people and you will be forced into their communities and have to spend your dying years speaking with those bitter old farts wishing you could just die. The carolinas have old people who are much nicer and seem to appreciate retirement and life a lot more.

    basically almost anything florida has the carolinas have better and cheaper. You go down near the GA border of SC on the shore and it is pretty much a better version of florida. Plus, the Space coast is only a few hours of a drive away if you want to hit daytona, Orlando, Cape Canaveral, or any of the middle state attractions. 95 in GA is only 100 miles long and you are then in florida. I know all this because i lived in SC for many years up by charlotte. I have some family on the SC coast, and some good friends up in Raleigh. I also make regular trips down to boca to visit the parents. I know people all up and down america's dick. The carolinas are much nicer and easier to live in. Also you can find any sort of living you want. From assisted living communities to dealing with taking care of a farm and everything in between you can find it in SC. Florida has postage stamp and condo living. Most communities in florida are HOA and the few that aren't end up becoming crap very quickly.

    Things could change over the years, but Florida is no longer what it was for retirement. Some of the newer places for retirement have learned from the mistakes florida made and have zoned a lot better and are keeping taxes low.

  8. #8
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: 10 Worst States for Retirement

    Look, Minnesota can't help its absurd weather ok!?

    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •