Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 156

Thread: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    But this poll was not about ability as president. This was about the perception of honesty. No fan of Carter as a president, but I do think he was reasonably honest.
    Yep.....and Both Obama and Hillary made the list. But Carter is way ahead of them on trustworthiness.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I was too young to vote in '76, but did vote in '80, and on the basis that we generally vote in America, the current condition of the country at the time. Based on that, I voted for Ronald Reagan.

    Had I known that Carter made a decidedly selfless and non-political decision that would turn our economy around in glorious fashion within a couple of years of the end of his first term, I would have voted for him.
    My family operated a business back then and almost went under paying 18+% on loans and inflation over 20%. It was awful

  3. #93
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,916
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    There were a total of three hearings for ALL of the Embassy attacks under Bush, there have already been around eight hearings on Benghazi.

    You say a thing, but the facts contradict your assertion.
    You missed the biggest glaring difference. In those attacks during Bush, it was admitted, terrorist attack, terrorist attack, terrorist attack. Benghazi, it was a video attack, an incensed mob over a video, not a terrorist attack.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #94
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think Jimmy deserves it. But for me the most trusted president in my lifetime was Eisenhower. But I think most of you were not around during his time as president, so Jimmy is a fine pick.
    I wish we had the integrity as a nation to choose a man like Ike again.

    But the chances of picking a guy that would say something like this (below) is pretty close to nil (or about the same as Buddy Roemer's chances)...

    "A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...
    This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."

    People of this quality are out there, and would be willing to lead, it is our failing that we preclude their selection and have allowed, heck encouraged, Ike's worst fears to become SOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not believe any amount of people committing suicide with firearms justifies requiring firearm sellers to preach to customers about suicide regardless if it would or wouldn't save those who commit suicide.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think Jimmy deserves it. But for me the most trusted president in my lifetime was Eisenhower. But I think most of you were not around during his time as president, so Jimmy is a fine pick.
    Heya Pero. I would have to agree for the Man that had the Cabinet known as the 8 millionaires and One Plumber.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,916
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Americans really, really trust Hollywood. They are, however, far more skeptical of Washington, D.C.

    A new survey on the most trusted people in America finds actors taking the top three spots: Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and Denzel Washington. The first politician to appear on the list is former President Jimmy Carter, who comes in at number 24.



    Carter, 88, often referred to as the most successful ex-president in American history, has earned bipartisan praise since leaving office for his work on behalf of various humanitarian causes.

    During his successful 1976 presidential campaign, Carter won over a majority of American voters with his “Trust Me” campaign slogan.

    The surveyed asked 1,000 participants who they trusted the most and was conducted by The Wagner Group for Readers Digest.

    President Obama made the list as well but came in at number 65.

    According to the list, Obama was edged out by none other than Adam Sandler, named the 64th most trusted person in America.

    No other former president made the list, though Hillary Clinton, a potential 2016 candidate, came in at number 51....snip~

    Jimmy Carter named most trusted U.S. politician in new poll

    .....who would have ever thought that. Carter, AKA.....Jimmy Mac!

    Even Beat Obama out on that one. Lookie Jimmy.....Stylin and Profilin!!!!!
    If you really think about it, choosing a trusted politician is like choosing a trusted used car salesman. You are actually choosing the least deceitful, not trustworthy.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    If you really think about it, choosing a trusted politician is like choosing a trusted used car salesman. You are actually choosing the least deceitful, not trustworthy.
    I wonder why No one was mentored by Dodge. He was Ike's Budget director.....I use to run around with one of his quotes in my sig. Until I switched it out.

  8. #98
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Of course, terrorism can't be applied to anything Israel has done. They are all sunshine and rainbows.
    Seriously, you need to start cracking some books on real history....

    That pos Carter on, the Iranian hostage crisis - he did nothing, he sent a message to the Islamic world that the US was a worthless paper tiger. This fueled radical Islam, which at the time was a distinct minority in the Islamic world. He is the Godfather of Hamas, Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Islamic Brotherhood, and other modern day terror organization

    Don't forget the fuel shortages and gas lines, interest rates, mortgage rates of 18%, double digit unemployment rates, etc, etc


    Oh crap, I was forgetting...how he defunded the military and intelligence community, *the Panama Canal (Canal Zone) was lost

    Just the thought that Carter was President is truly disgusting

  9. #99
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,916
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I wish we had the integrity as a nation to choose a man like Ike again.

    But the chances of picking a guy that would say something like this (below) is pretty close to nil (or about the same as Buddy Roemer's chances)...

    "A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...
    This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."

    People of this quality are out there, and would be willing to lead, it is our failing that we preclude their selection and have allowed, heck encouraged, Ike's worst fears to become SOP.
    I agree. Ike said in one of his earlier speeches before his farewell address that every dollar spent on defense is a dollar less spent on schools, infrastructure etc. He went on to say the need must be balanced so we do not spend more than one dollar necessary for defense.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,007

    Re: Jimmy Carter Named Most Trusted U.S. Politician in New Poll.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    And Republicans did not care about Embassy Attacks when he was, and a great many of the SAME Republicans are in office.

    It is instructional to compare how these SAME current Republicans viewed Embassy attacks when a member of their party was at the helm and now, it tells us that the outrage is phony and political.

    It is also instructional to look at how the opposition viewed Embassy attacks when the opposition was the Executive, because if they were outraged then, and not now, that would be evidence of political motivation with respect to the response of murder of diplomats, but there was no Democratic outrage.

    Democrats are perfectly capable of hypocrisy, but in this case, it's all GOP.
    For the purpose of politics, that's fine. But this particular event should stand on its own. Either something is wrong now or it isn't. And what was wrong in the past doesn't matter.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •