Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 127

Thread: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You keep intentionally missing the point. You're either trolling, or genuinely incapable of seeing past about 1 month in the future. No one here has even remotely claimed that the 3D printed gun was practical today. All we've said is that 3D printing technology is going to catch on big, and will see massive leaps in performance in the near future.

    It will be a common household product. No one gives a **** about you making up ridiculous numbers in the thousands of dollars for you to try to prove your point.
    You have no reason to believe 3D tech will catch on. If you had a reason, you would have stated it by now. You're just having a geek's tantrum.

    Grow up.

  2. #82
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm not someone who would otherwise own a 3D printer for other things. I have never had a reason to buy one. In fact, until the 3D gun story I wasn't aware of any private people owning these kinds of printers outside of a univercity or larg fabrication shop. In my field we don't print hardware and tools, we buy them. I've never even seen a 3D printer.

    A 3D printer is not something carpenters already own, so yes I would have to buy one, and I have no use for it professionally. I have no idea what I would use a 3D printer for.
    This is not about "you" it's about general use of a technology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If you're to stupid to understand that I would have to buy a printer since I don't already own one, that's your problem, not mine.
    Resorting to ad hominems makes your argument no less irrelevant. Again you are trying to say somehow your needs represent everyones when you are more the exception than the rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    And yes when considering an ink printer I consider what kinds of things I need to print. I'm not going to buy a high-end laser printer if I'm only making common documents. I also figure how many documents I need to make in a given month. I used to just save the file and have OfficeMax print them until the cost of gas was grater than the cost of the printer.
    No one is suggesting this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not very many people already own 3D printers. Like any new tech, you should remember that fact. When DVDs first came out most people had to rent a player from the movie store. Same thing. So where's the 3D printer rental shop?
    This fact has nothing to do with the argument as presented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #83
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    I think they'll get down to the $200-$300 range for consumers. There are plenty of uses around the home for them, and if nothing else the craft type folks will buy them from HSN. You might need to step up for a "pro" model to print guns and such, but the end price will come down there as well.

  4. #84
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't think the Gun Control Act allows you to make guns for other people, only yourself. I think I would need to own/rent/lease the printer in some documented way in order to fall into that exception.

    I'm not sure, though.
    That's why I said YOU push the button. You can make your own gun in another's machine shop without renting it so long as you can legally own guns and aren't selling it, the only time you need special permission (from the ATF) is if you're making an NFA item.

    Disclaimer: Accountant, not a lawyer, all research done on internet.

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by atf.gov
    With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 05-16-13 at 01:12 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  5. #85
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    I'm fairly certain it could be done legally very easily.

    Example: I have a printer, we make a contract saying that I am selling it to you for $1 and that I reserve the right to buy it back anytime within 3 days. All it needs is some brotherly love and cooperation

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    This is not about "you" it's about general use of a technology.
    You think I'm the only person who doesn't own a 3D printer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Again you are trying to say somehow your needs represent everyones when you are more the exception than the rule.
    You're making claims without evidence. You've been hanging around heymarket for to long.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    This fact has nothing to do with the argument as presented.
    The 3D gun will not revolutionize Gun Control laws precisely because 3D tech in general hasn't caught on yet. The 3D gun will not revolutionize Gun Control laws precisely because 3D tech is still cost prohibitive to the average person today; just like every new tech is, from plasma TVs to DVD players and as someone mentioned earlier even cars. You may as well be selling iPhone apps in the 90s.

  7. #87
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    like trying to compress clay by squeezing it in your hand... it just oozes out between your fingers.

    Not if I press REALLY HARD!
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I think they'll get down to the $200-$300 range for consumers. There are plenty of uses around the home for them...
    Like what, exactly?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Disclaimer: Accountant, not a lawyer, all research done on internet.
    I must be the only person who already assumes this about everything anyone says, ever, unles proven otherwise. Do you honestly think the cops are going to arrest you over anything you say on the internet? Is there a another damn forum rule I'm not aware of (which frankly wouldn't surprise me).

  10. #90
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You have no reason to believe 3D tech will catch on. If you had a reason, you would have stated it by now. You're just having a geek's tantrum.

    Grow up.
    People have been giving you reasons why it'll catch on and why it's so popular for pages. I guess you're just having a whatever-the-hell-you-are tantrum.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •