Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

  1. #71
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't have a printer.

    Pro plastic-gun folks keep saying I shouldn't factor the cost of the printer in the cost of the gun, but these same people can't explain how a gun is going to jump out of the CAD file without a printer.
    Not even an InkJet? Wow!
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Not even an InkJet? Wow!
    Link to where these 3D plastic guns can be printed from an ink jet.

  3. #73
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,510

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't have a printer.

    Pro plastic-gun folks keep saying I shouldn't factor the cost of the printer in the cost of the gun, but these same people can't explain how a gun is going to jump out of the CAD file without a printer.
    Jerry I have allot of respect for you, but why on this issue are you pretending to be stupid? I have seen and agreed with far to many of your posts to fall for that.

    A 3D printer can be used to print allot more than a 1 shot over glorified zip gun. As was mentioned before magazines, receivers and other low impact gun parts including silencers can all be printed on any 3D printer with plentiful cheap ABS media. That is just an example of the things available for gun enthusiasts. When you add in all the everyday items and even furniture, tools and much more the price of the printer is not really a consideration as only an idiot would pay $800 to $1600 just to print a zip gun. When printing pictures I guess you figure in the cost of the laser or inkjet printer? Of course not, same thing. You do however figure in the cost of consumables. In this case they are pretty cheap and readily available for any 3d printer, even the older models.

    To be honest I could care less about the gun and had already planned to buy one to print magazines and a receiver for my next AK build. Now even after that I will continue to use it for other things like miniatures I use for modeling, wargaming and certain floating dive equipment. I can also use it to print plastic buckles etc that break on my gear rather than having to order them. I can use it for hundreds of other items that I can print cheaply. In a year or less it will have paid for itself in saving me money on other things.

    So your argument here is nutty at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #74
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Link to where these 3D plastic guns can be printed from an ink jet.
    So you do have an InkJet? What, no pencils handy? I mean, that was your reason to reject the idea of 3D home printers, wasn't it, because you could do it cheaper the old fashioned way?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #75
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    The blueprints are still available on Pirate Bay, and will stay there. Attempting to ban information is futile, whether people like it or not.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Jerry I have allot of respect for you, but why on this issue are you pretending to be stupid? I have seen and agreed with far to many of your posts to fall for that.

    A 3D printer can be used to print allot more than a 1 shot over glorified zip gun. As was mentioned before magazines, receivers and other low impact gun parts including silencers can all be printed on any 3D printer with plentiful cheap ABS media. That is just an example of the things available for gun enthusiasts. When you add in all the everyday items and even furniture, tools and much more the price of the printer is not really a consideration as only an idiot would pay $800 to $1600 just to print a zip gun. When printing pictures I guess you figure in the cost of the laser or inkjet printer? Of course not, same thing. You do however figure in the cost of consumables. In this case they are pretty cheap and readily available for any 3d printer, even the older models.

    To be honest I could care less about the gun and had already planned to buy one to print magazines and a receiver for my next AK build. Now even after that I will continue to use it for other things like miniatures I use for modeling, wargaming and certain floating dive equipment. I can also use it to print plastic buckles etc that break on my gear rather than having to order them. I can use it for hundreds of other items that I can print cheaply. In a year or less it will have paid for itself in saving me money on other things.

    So your argument here is nutty at best.
    I'm not someone who would otherwise own a 3D printer for other things. I have never had a reason to buy one. In fact, until the 3D gun story I wasn't aware of any private people owning these kinds of printers outside of a univercity or larg fabrication shop. In my field we don't print hardware and tools, we buy them. I've never even seen a 3D printer.

    A 3D printer is not something carpenters already own, so yes I would have to buy one, and I have no use for it professionally. I have no idea what I would use a 3D printer for.

    If you're to stupid to understand that I would have to buy a printer since I don't already own one, that's your problem, not mine.

    And yes when considering an ink printer I consider what kinds of things I need to print. I'm not going to buy a high-end laser printer if I'm only making common documents. I also figure how many documents I need to make in a given month. I used to just save the file and have OfficeMax print them until the cost of gas was grater than the cost of the printer.

    Not very many people already own 3D printers. Like any new tech, you should remember that fact. When DVDs first came out most people had to rent a player from the movie store. Same thing. So where's the 3D printer rental shop?
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-16-13 at 12:16 PM.

  7. #77
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    The blueprints are still available on Pirate Bay, and will stay there. Attempting to ban information is futile, whether people like it or not.
    I've got a copy, if anyone wants PM me your e-mail address.

    Censorship doesn't work on the internet, ban a video and everyone will host it, ban a file and we'll all have it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm not someone who would otherwise own a 3D printer for other things. I have never had a reason to buy one. In fact, until the 3D gun story I wasn't aware of any private people owning these kinds of printers outside of a univercity or larg fabrication shop. In my field we don't print hardware and tools, we buy them. I've never even seen a 3D printer.


    A 3D printer is not something carpenters already own, so yes I would have to buy one, and I have no use for it professionally. I have no idea what I would use a 3D printer for.
    My brother has one, got it when he opened up a store. He likes to invent things and the printer is great for prototypes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If you're to stupid to understand that I would have to buy a printer since I don't already own one, that's your problem, not mine.
    If you know an owner, you can just pay him for the raw materials and just push the button.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    If you know an owner, you can just pay him for the raw materials and just push the button.
    I don't think the Gun Control Act allows you to make guns for other people, only yourself. I think I would need to own/rent/lease the printer in some documented way in order to fall into that exception.

    I'm not sure, though.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Use Tor and download from The Silk Road. You can buy DRUGS on The Silk Road, and the government has done everything they possibly can to try and stop them but can't. There is simply no way to stop something once it's on the internet so long as people want it.

  10. #80
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm not someone who would otherwise own a 3D printer for other things. I have never had a reason to buy one. In fact, until the 3D gun story I wasn't aware of any private people owning these kinds of printers outside of a univercity or larg fabrication shop. In my field we don't print hardware and tools, we buy them. I've never even seen a 3D printer.

    A 3D printer is not something carpenters already own, so yes I would have to buy one, and I have no use for it professionally. I have no idea what I would use a 3D printer for.

    If you're to stupid to understand that I would have to buy a printer since I don't already own one, that's your problem, not mine.

    And yes when considering an ink printer I consider what kinds of things I need to print. I'm not going to buy a high-end laser printer if I'm only making common documents. I also figure how many documents I need to make in a given month. I used to just save the file and have OfficeMax print them until the cost of gas was grater than the cost of the printer.

    Not very many people already own 3D printers. Like any new tech, you should remember that fact. When DVDs first came out most people had to rent a player from the movie store. Same thing. So where's the 3D printer rental shop?
    You keep intentionally missing the point. You're either trolling, or genuinely incapable of seeing past about 1 month in the future. No one here has even remotely claimed that the 3D printed gun was practical today. All we've said is that 3D printing technology is going to catch on big, and will see massive leaps in performance in the near future.

    It will be a common household product. No one gives a **** about you making up ridiculous numbers in the thousands of dollars for you to try to prove your point.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •