Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 127

Thread: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

  1. #11
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    I think the USG has already got plastic weapons in their spy agencies and nobody is really going to want one for private use. It's an interesting concept but I doubt very many will actually ever be made.

    Sleep easy Mr. O. It's cool.


    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Considering the cost of a printer, the material to make it and the possibility of personal injury in firing this thing, it's just easier and cheaper to go buy a real firearm.

    3D printing has a long way to go before we're going to get reliable, safe 3D printed guns. The Democrats are seriously overreacting to this thing.

    Wonder if the file has a disclaimer about risk of personal injury from firing the weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if more people end up hurting themselves when the firearm malfunctions then people injured by intentional usage.

  2. #12
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I think the USG has already got plastic weapons in their spy agencies and nobody is really going to want one for private use. It's an interesting concept but I doubt very many will actually ever be made.

    Sleep easy Mr. O. It's cool.
    But those are very different. Composite material pistols and rifles are manufactured very different from 3D printing. Producing a pistol out of carbon fiber with upper receivers made of hardened materials is radically different from 3D printing. It's one thing to have a manufacturing process which is extensive in chemically and thermally creating strong composite materials from various substocks and one that prints out a photopolymer into parts of a gun for manufacture.

    The gun nuts are praising this but don't seem to understand the limitations of the materials for 3D printing. Even the metal ones I wouldn't trust. Depositing metal layers and then fusing them together with a laser results in a very weak product. Good for kids toys sure, but an upper receiver? You gotta be kidding me. The stress that a discharged round places upon a firearm is immense. Anyone who's fired a decent size round rifle knows of the kickback. That's a real simple analogy. Can a weak metal or plastic firearm reliably take that kind of stress without failing? Not yet. And I don't think we'll see if for a long time.

    And then the gun control nuts are going crazy over what amounts to a single round pistol that is likely to harm the user.

    I think it's pretty cool. I also think it's massively over hyped. Remember that NASA for its 3D printing isn't considering plastic printing for the most part. It's considering sending blocks of high grade strong plastics and metals up and then lathing them into parts. The strength factor there is WAY higher than printing from liquid or powder.

    At the end of the day, this is much to do about nothing,.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #13
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,660

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    If Im not mistaken, I think the country is averaging about 46.5k new firearms sold daily. the number of people that would have actually made a gun utilizing this program...probably...maybe a handful. So...WTG Fed!!! You have stopped a crime wave while CONTINUING to ignore the people that are out there daily killing injuring and maiming people.

  4. #14
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,660

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    OH...and I wont post the link, but anyone that wants to make a functional 'zip gun' can do so with common household items and there are instructional videos everywhere on "how to".

  5. #15
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    If Im not mistaken, I think the country is averaging about 46.5k new firearms sold daily. the number of people that would have actually made a gun utilizing this program...probably...maybe a handful. So...WTG Fed!!! You have stopped a crime wave while CONTINUING to ignore the people that are out there daily killing injuring and maiming people.
    Furthermore, when you consider the costs of it, it frankly doesn't make any sense if you're going to commit a crime with this. It's easier just to buy a stolen firearm then go through this mess to get a single shot pistol that has the potential to seriously malfunction in your hand. In fact, we should actually be encouraging criminals to go buy a cheap 3D printer, print this and then get potentially seriously injured when the device fails.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #16
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    At best, it might be an assassination gun. Since we don't have very many assassinations, I'm sure society will survive.

    I think it's more interesting that the project demonstrates the potential of 3D printers since most products don't have any explosive issues.


    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Furthermore, when you consider the costs of it, it frankly doesn't make any sense if you're going to commit a crime with this. It's easier just to buy a stolen firearm then go through this mess to get a single shot pistol that has the potential to seriously malfunction in your hand. In fact, we should actually be encouraging criminals to go buy a cheap 3D printer, print this and then get potentially seriously injured when the device fails.

  7. #17
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    At best, it might be an assassination gun. Since we don't have very many assassinations, I'm sure society will survive.

    I think it's more interesting that the project demonstrates the potential of 3D printers since most products don't have any explosive issues.
    But the caliber is small, so you'd need to get point blank to get a reliable one hit assassination. That's not a lot of room to move and frankly, if you're good enough to pull that off, you won't be using the Liberator.

    The project itself is pretty cool, but the potential of 3D printers is well beyond that. Several organic 3D printing companies are working on replicating your own cells for rapid cell regrowth in badly damaged areas by spraying them directly into the wound. Imagine if you had a shark bite, they take cells from your body, rapidly grow them and spray them in correct order into the shark bite for rapid regeneration. That is amazing. Could cut down on serious trauma recovery from months to days.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #18
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Maybe we can ring in an era of discount hit-men.

    I think amazing things lie right ahead for that industry.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    But the caliber is small, so you'd need to get point blank to get a reliable one hit assassination. That's not a lot of room to move and frankly, if you're good enough to pull that off, you won't be using the Liberator.

    The project itself is pretty cool, but the potential of 3D printers is well beyond that. Several organic 3D printing companies are working on replicating your own cells for rapid cell regrowth in badly damaged areas by spraying them directly into the wound. Imagine if you had a shark bite, they take cells from your body, rapidly grow them and spray them in correct order into the shark bite for rapid regeneration. That is amazing. Could cut down on serious trauma recovery from months to days.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,769

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Furthermore, when you consider the costs of it, it frankly doesn't make any sense if you're going to commit a crime with this. It's easier just to buy a stolen firearm then go through this mess to get a single shot pistol that has the potential to seriously malfunction in your hand. In fact, we should actually be encouraging criminals to go buy a cheap 3D printer, print this and then get potentially seriously injured when the device fails.
    Especially since this gun costs *TONS* to make, it's not cheap, it's not easy and it's good for a single shot. Why do that when you can go buy one that actually works on the streets for a hundred dollars or so?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #20
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Especially since this gun costs *TONS* to make, it's not cheap, it's not easy and it's good for a single shot. Why do that when you can go buy one that actually works on the streets for a hundred dollars or so?
    The start up cost is expensive, but the materials are fairly cheap. Seems like a great way to produce one-off weapons for criminals.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •