Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 127

Thread: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

  1. #91
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Like what, exactly?
    3D busts of your children
    3D representations of pictures
    bookends
    figurines
    all sorts of crafts projects
    airplane, train, car models
    keyholders
    somebody will make all their furniture that way (ala the pizza box sofa)
    make your own pet rock
    children's puzzles

    Really the list is endless. Probably containing no vital items, but who knows what folks will come up with.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    About one to two shots. And it's apparently very inaccurate. Also, apparently it's not the barrel though, the inherent stress that discharge forces upon the receivers is what is causing plastic firearms, even ABS ones to fail.

    Honestly, firing a gun where its upper receiver is made of ABS plastic scares me. And given their early tests, it scared them too.
    That would of course depend upon the type and characteristics of the plastic. Any plastics that are able to molded by a 3d printer probably will never meet stress and heat requirements to be actually used as a firearm. However, they would work quite well for the purpose of creating molds for forming other materials.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #93
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Sorry I hadn't read some of this discussion more thoroughly before. It sounds like some of you may not have heard of RepRap. Current versions of RepRap can't print the gun because it doesn't print at a high enough density, but I hear there are people working on fixing that.

    http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Enjoy

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    3D busts of your children
    3D representations of pictures
    bookends
    figurines
    all sorts of crafts projects
    airplane, train, car models
    keyholders
    somebody will make all their furniture that way (ala the pizza box sofa)
    make your own pet rock
    children's puzzles
    That's all dollar-store bull****. Do you have any real examples or are you just going to keep ****ing around?

    How about a sturdy framing hammer? You may be surprised how customized carpenters like those to be. Or how about other construction tools. How about car parts. Working computer parts. Anything useful.

    Cabinets! If I could print custom cabinets, that alone would justify the cost.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-16-13 at 02:40 PM.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    People have been giving you reasons why it'll catch on and why it's so popular for pages.
    Not even once. Go be stupid somewhere else.

  6. #96
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,002

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I must be the only person who already assumes this about everything anyone says, ever, unles proven otherwise. Do you honestly think the cops are going to arrest you over anything you say on the internet? Is there a another damn forum rule I'm not aware of (which frankly wouldn't surprise me).
    No, not at all. I'm more concerned with people depending on something they read on the internet concerning their rights in a court of law.

    As an accountant there are many opinions, especially tax opinions, which are correct in the case they are being given to but not in others. For example legally, an IRS judgement on an issue can not be used as legal precedent for someone else. You cannot say to them "my friend in the exact same circumstance did the same thing and you said it was fine" because it will not fly. So I'm always careful when giving any kind of advice to disclaim it, because many people go all Wesley Snipes with what they read on the internet then get ****ed and I don't want any of that on my conscience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not even once. Go be stupid somewhere else.
    I certainly believe 3D printing will catch on. Reduced costs is reason enough, no shipping/warehouse expense. Want a doorstop, print one at less than wholesale cost, but raw materials cost.

    I don't expect it to be one in every home like the PC caught on, more like a few every middle class neighborhood. To the benefit of the neighbor who invested in one.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I think they'll get down to the $200-$300 range for consumers. There are plenty of uses around the home for them, and if nothing else the craft type folks will buy them from HSN. You might need to step up for a "pro" model to print guns and such, but the end price will come down there as well.
    Since I'm into rebuilding/modifying automobiles. Such a device would be infinitely valuable for producing dash and other molded items/components. I currently have a need to completely redesign the interior of a Pontiac Fiero and want to make some modifications to the dash/console of a Caprice Wagon and a Chevelle coupe, while maybe not cheaper, a 3d printer would make it easier.

    Maybe I should look up the cost of the printers and materials. While probably more expensive than high-density foam and fiberglass, the end product would be more consistent and probably much better. Not to mention that many applications of industrial, low friction ceramics I want to investigate and test. Such a device would greatly improve my ability to create accurate and consistent molds.

    Now if someone would create and sell an affordable sintering furnace, of a useful size, I could really go to town on some of my ideas.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I certainly believe 3D printing will catch on. Reduced costs is reason enough, no shipping/warehouse expense. Want a doorstop, print one at less than wholesale cost, but raw materials cost.

    I don't expect it to be one in every home like the PC caught on, more like a few every middle class neighborhood. To the benefit of the neighbor who invested in one.
    I agree, one day 3D will catch on...we're already printing entire houses and living organs with it (something useful, unlike figurines ).

    One day 3D tech will be in every home, but that day is not today.

    When someone announces that the new 3D printed gun will liberate individuals, they're wrong, because today only a few have a 3D printer. Because most people do not have the printer, most people are going to have to buy/rent a printer, and that's why the printer's cost is figured into the price of the 3D gun.

    Add to that the fact that the 3D gun itself does not compete with 1920s firearms. The market for the printed gun that brakes when used one time is a small notch of specialty enthusiasts. That product does not appeal to the masses.

    When the day comes that everyone has a 3D printer and there is a plan to make a reliable firearm, then on that day might there be a change in gun control law.

  9. #99
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,002

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree, one day 3D will catch on...we're already printing entire houses and living organs with it (something useful, unlike figurines ).

    One day 3D tech will be in every home, but that day is not today.

    When someone announces that the new 3D printed gun will liberate individuals, they're wrong, because today only a few have a 3D printer. Because most people do not have the printer, most people are going to have to buy/rent a printer, and that's why the printer's cost is figured into the price of the 3D gun.

    Add to that the fact that the 3D gun itself does not compete with 1920s firearms. The market for the printed gun that brakes when used one time is a small notch of specialty enthusiasts. That product does not appeal to the masses.

    When the day comes that everyone has a 3D printer and there is a plan to make a reliable firearm, then on that day might there be a change in gun control law.
    Are you familiar with the printed AR-15 Receiver? The 1st one broke under stress but with the new pins its rather solid. The day of the reliably printed gun and magazine has come. I don't think it needs to be in every household to reach market penetration, knowing someone with one will be enough IMO. It doesn't need to appeal to the masses, early adopters are enough.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #100
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: US Government shuts down 3D gun manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's all dollar-store bull****. Do you have any real examples or are you just going to keep ****ing around?

    How about a sturdy framing hammer? You may be surprised how customized carpenters like those to be. Or how about other construction tools. How about car parts. Working computer parts. Anything useful.

    Cabinets! If I could print custom cabinets, that alone would justify the cost.
    Wow, what's with the rancor? Heck, just a couple years ago folks were paying $150-$200 for a Cricket (a device that prints scrapbook materials). And what dollar store will sell you a bust of you own children?

    But if you want to talk useful, pretty much everything you listed is a possibility. Maybe not the framing hammer yet, but there's been good progress on printed chips and other computer components. Car parts are an interesting idea and worth exploring.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •