Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

  1. #21
    Guru
    Fallenangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Israel/Russia/UK
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,416

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name


    Btw. we have the same crap in the IDF too.
    People joke and taunt each other for being Russian, Arab, having weird names, whatever.... as long as it is not done as a purposeful insult, nobody cares much.

    Cheers,
    Fallen.
    Click me > My Artsy Stuff

    "You’ve got one life, there’s no save-point and you’re going to die. Go out like a ****ing man!" - Brad Rigney

  2. #22
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Yeah, anecdotal responses. Terribly compelling. Too bad there several outstanding lawsuits against the army for prosthelytizing and discrimination. Here's some info on two of them.

    Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination - CNN.com
    US soldiers punished for refusing to attend Christian rock concert | World news | The Guardian
    I notice you dodged the "you never served" portion of my post. You also failed to read the "there's always 10%" quote as well. Sure, there will always be idiots that do stupid things like the ones you named. But if it were the epidemic you claim it to be, it would be in the news everyday now wouldn't it? The fact of the matter is that any claim anyone makes on this website can be backed up by a stupid story on the internet. How about all homeless people eat other people? Or how about all Hispanics kidnap women and hold them for 10 years? I have stories I can back those claims with.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #23
    User Sensesfailed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-10-13 @ 04:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    There are plenty of cases where harassment or cases brought up before the Chain of Command fall on deaf ears. Does that mean it's a ****ty Chain of Command? You damn right they are, but it's this kind of attitude of "oh, it's just an agenda" instead of maybe an actual problem, that annoys me. I'm not saying it's all over, but I've personally seen problems with certain Chain of Commands and I feel that's something that should be addressed by the military.
    “Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    The U.S. military needs to purge it's ranks of all of these whiny politically correct troops.

  5. #25
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Sgt. 1st Class Naida Hosan is not a Muslim — she’s a Catholic. But her name sounded Islamic to fellow U.S. soldiers in Iraq, and they would taunt her, calling her “Sgt. Hussein” and asking what God she prayed to.
    Here's my guess: she is an outspoken Christian and that's why it was funny. I met a guy in the army named Sgt. Harry Beaver. He didn't change his name.

    I figure the woman is unstable and being used for political purposes. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that the anti-military agenda uses a soldier in distress. It never seems to matter what the troops say until one goes off the deep end and hits a talking point. That one is used and discarded, others are paid no heed.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    When people demonize Muslims it can affect people other than a person of Islamic faith. Her father was born into a Muslim family, however he converted to Christianity after meeting her mother, a Catholic.

    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Sgt. 1st Class Naida Hosan is not a Muslim — she’s a Catholic. But her name sounded Islamic to fellow U.S. soldiers in Iraq, and they would taunt her, calling her “Sgt. Hussein” and asking what God she prayed to.

    So before deploying to Afghanistan last year for her second war tour, she legally changed her name — to Nadia Christian Nova.

    This did not solve her problems.

    Instead, matters escalated. Nova complained to her superiors about constant anti-Muslim slurs and jokes. She says they responded with a series of reprisals intended to drive her out of the Army, leading her to consider suicide.

    “My complaints fell on deaf ears every time,” said Nova, 41, a member of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division based at Fort Bragg, N.C. “Any time I would say something about it I was treated like I didn’t know what I was talking about or that I’m an idiot or that I was a Muslim sympathizer. It was just a very lonely feeling.”

    Determined to remain in the service for at least eight years, until she is eligible for retirement, Nova recently re-enlisted. But she agreed to tell her story to The Associated Press because “I don’t want this to happen to anyone else if I can help it. It’s a horrible to feel like people are against you when you are supposed to be on the same team.”

    Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name
    Sounds like a pretty crappy experience. I'm glad she spoke out. It's important for people in marginalized groups to share their stories. Moreover, there's nothing prejudiced people hate more than the objects of their prejudice voicing their disapproval, particularly on such a large scale.

  7. #27
    User Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    03-06-17 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't buy it. The Army in 2013 is so insanely politically correct, if someone even accuses you of making a discriminatory slur to his cat, you'll probably lose rank. She obviously has a ****ty chain of command, but she doesn't seem to know how to call one of the many agencies in the Army that specifically deal with this kind of thing.
    I agree. There has to be more to this story than what is being reported. I'd like to hear some comments from fellow soldiers. Also, she's an E-7. Who exactly is harassing her? She's probably a platoon SGT. Her troops are picking on her?

    Also she's a Farsi linguist. I just can't buy that she would get this school yard behavior in an MI unit. They have plenty of soldiers in those language groups who are actual Muslims, not just having Muslim names. Something is up.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    When people demonize Muslims it can affect people other than a person of Islamic faith. Her father was born into a Muslim family, however he converted to Christianity after meeting her mother, a Catholic.

    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Sgt. 1st Class Naida Hosan is not a Muslim — she’s a Catholic. But her name sounded Islamic to fellow U.S. soldiers in Iraq, and they would taunt her, calling her “Sgt. Hussein” and asking what God she prayed to.

    So before deploying to Afghanistan last year for her second war tour, she legally changed her name — to Nadia Christian Nova.

    This did not solve her problems.

    Instead, matters escalated. Nova complained to her superiors about constant anti-Muslim slurs and jokes. She says they responded with a series of reprisals intended to drive her out of the Army, leading her to consider suicide.

    “My complaints fell on deaf ears every time,” said Nova, 41, a member of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division based at Fort Bragg, N.C. “Any time I would say something about it I was treated like I didn’t know what I was talking about or that I’m an idiot or that I was a Muslim sympathizer. It was just a very lonely feeling.”

    Determined to remain in the service for at least eight years, until she is eligible for retirement, Nova recently re-enlisted. But she agreed to tell her story to The Associated Press because “I don’t want this to happen to anyone else if I can help it. It’s a horrible to feel like people are against you when you are supposed to be on the same team.”

    Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name
    Just how many people do you actually think were harassing her? I have a hard time swallowing this story. "Constant" slurs and jokes? She was considering suicide? Her complaints fell on deaf ears every time? Why would they want to drive her out of the army if she was a good soldier? This sounds made up or at least MUCH exaggerated.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    When people demonize Muslims it can affect people other than a person of Islamic faith. Her father was born into a Muslim family, however he converted to Christianity after meeting her mother, a Catholic.

    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Sgt. 1st Class Naida Hosan is not a Muslim — she’s a Catholic. But her name sounded Islamic to fellow U.S. soldiers in Iraq, and they would taunt her, calling her “Sgt. Hussein” and asking what God she prayed to.

    So before deploying to Afghanistan last year for her second war tour, she legally changed her name — to Nadia Christian Nova.

    This did not solve her problems.

    Instead, matters escalated. Nova complained to her superiors about constant anti-Muslim slurs and jokes. She says they responded with a series of reprisals intended to drive her out of the Army, leading her to consider suicide.

    “My complaints fell on deaf ears every time,” said Nova, 41, a member of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division based at Fort Bragg, N.C. “Any time I would say something about it I was treated like I didn’t know what I was talking about or that I’m an idiot or that I was a Muslim sympathizer. It was just a very lonely feeling.”

    Determined to remain in the service for at least eight years, until she is eligible for retirement, Nova recently re-enlisted. But she agreed to tell her story to The Associated Press because “I don’t want this to happen to anyone else if I can help it. It’s a horrible to feel like people are against you when you are supposed to be on the same team.”

    Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name
    But...but...but...our troops are way too mature and professional for this kind of behavior to exist!

    That being said, she needs to excercise her authority and kick some ass for a lack of professionalism, discipline and military bearing, vice crying about it to the media. It sounds like she's a weak, substandard NCO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Soldier Says She Was Harassed Because of Muslim-sounding Name

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Here's my guess: she is an outspoken Christian and that's why it was funny. I met a guy in the army named Sgt. Harry Beaver. He didn't change his name.

    I figure the woman is unstable and being used for political purposes. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that the anti-military agenda uses a soldier in distress. It never seems to matter what the troops say until one goes off the deep end and hits a talking point. That one is used and discarded, others are paid no heed.
    I was in the service with a guy named Justin Teim--pronounced, "time". He was the toughest sum-bitch in the battalion. Sure, people ****ed with him about his name...once...never twice.

    I also served with a cajun boy named Richard Richard. Cajuns pronounce the surname Richard as, "ree-shard". He didn't get picked on twice, either.

    This ol' girl sounds like she needs to soldier up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •