Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 285

Thread: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

  1. #41
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,677

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Out of curiosity, what happens when the online retailer moves out of the country? I mean, it's not too difficult to move your online operation to Aruba is your primary purpose is simply putting manufacturers together with buyers. Even if you warehouse a lot of your stuff it wouldn't be a big problem to just move the operation to Mexico or Canada where you could avoid all that tax mess.

  2. #42
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,139

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Have these evil, vile, monsters no shame? have they no decency?

    How much is needed to satisfy their blood lust?

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    I admit not being thrilled about it, as sales taxes are among the most regressive. however, fair is fair. I can think of better ways to get tax revenue, though.

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No trade dispute

    Nothing in this deals with defense or general welfare. Furthermore, its for the states not the federal government.
    Ok, now step out of 1789 and fast forward to 2013...
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So who else here is excited about having to pay more in taxes for online purchases? You voted for Obama, now you're getting what you voted for.
    Am i excited? No
    Is it fair? Yes
    Did it need to be done? Yes.


  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ok, now step out of 1789 and fast forward to 2013...
    Ok, I just got out of my time machine and looked at the constitution. I see the clauses in question are still the same and no new amendments were added to give power to cover this act. Consider me confused.

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Is it fair? So many here say 'yes'. Is it, really?

    I say it's not. I say it's flawed. An exception has been carved out for business with sales less than x-amount ($1 mil/year, IIRC). I totally get that compliance would be a huge headache and very costly for small businesses, but if the goal is to make things fair by leveling the playing field between internet and brick-and-mortar stores, how is it fair to leave many retailers with their competitive advantage in place?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Have these evil, vile, monsters no shame? have they no decency?

    How much is needed to satisfy their blood lust?
    I don't imagine they understand the idea of self control or understand what is wrong with ever higher and higher taxes.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    We have had to pay taxes on items purhased from mail-order houses for many years. Now, the fact that we are going to have to pay them for internet purchases levels the playing field for businesses, whether they are on the intenet, in a mail order house, or down the street at the mall. The fact that products purchased over the internet were not taxed gave them an unfair advantage over other businesses. And, from a logic standpoint, this makes sense to me. This bill has been long overdue.
    Who cares about what is fair? The states must respect their borders and the federal government should not be helping them to reach outside of their borders. It's not about fairness, its about jurisdiction. A state should not be telling citizens of another state what to do nor should the federal government be doing it to benefit a state that the citizen is not a resident of. If I live in Florida I should never have to pay taxes towards Georgia or any other state unless of course if I travel to that state.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,034

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    You have to wonder why the Senate (and mainly democrats) feel the need to pass this right now, when it will obviously hurt the economy, not help it. Consumers don't support it, and I don't hear many businesses calling for it. Why now?

    National (US) Poll - May 2, 2013 - Hillary Clinton Owns 2016 Dem | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

    Internet Sales Tax


    Voters oppose 56 - 37 percent levying state sales taxes on internet purchases. Voters over 65 years old favor taxing internet sales 49 - 37 percent and Democrats are divided 46 - 45 percent. Every other group is opposed.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •