Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 285

Thread: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

  1. #221
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    can you tell my how my state in the southwest, should get tax money for a pair of boots bought from LL Bean in Maine which they are created there and stored for sale?

    becuase the LL Bean site was created and is maintained (serviced) in Maine. and so who say its a tax on my delivery, sounds more like a delivery tax to me and not a sales tax.
    Well, because you had money to spend, and that's simply not acceptable. You two must be separated.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #222
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The software also calculates the local sales taxes that apply based on the address that the goods are being shipped to. There's no added expense
    What with the changing local tax rates nearly annually (at least)software updates will be necessary OR the rates for an order location could be checked at the time of sale to ensure the rate is correct. But of course that would necessitate that all municipalities have internet assessable data. Neither of these are 'no added expense'. It has been my experience with such software that the updates are annoying AND expensive (comparatively).
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    can you tell my how my state in the southwest, should get tax money for a pair of boots bought from LL Bean in Maine which they are created there and stored for sale?

    becuase the LL Bean site was created and is maintained (serviced) in Maine. and so who say its a tax on my delivery, sounds more like a delivery tax to me and not a sales tax.
    How is your "internet" item any different from an identical one purchased locally? None, except you screwed your State on the tax it would have received if you bought it at a store. That's not really fair is it?

  4. #224
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You can see whatever you choose; It's a free country

    However, the fact is that this is not a new tax. It's been around for many, many years.
    well as you stated its a delivery tax...

  5. #225
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    How is your "internet" item any different from an identical one purchased locally? None, except you screwed your State on the tax it would have received if you bought it at a store. That's not really fair is it?
    fair?

  6. #226
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    What with the changing local tax rates nearly annually (at least)software updates will be necessary OR the rates for an order location could be checked at the time of sale to ensure the rate is correct. But of course that would necessitate that all municipalities have internet assessable data. Neither of these are 'no added expense'. It has been my experience with such software that the updates are annoying AND expensive (comparatively).
    In order to take advantage of this law, a state must agree to a Sales and Use Tax Agreement. This agreement sets out the rules stating how often and when a state can change it's rates. It also requires the state to make the new rate schedule available for downloading. The software is set to automatically check and download the new tax schedules and takes no effort on the part of the vendor. The updates are free as is the software.

    The updates you refer to as annoying are software updates. These updates are not software updates. They're just downloading of a file. Piece of cake. You download data all the time (every time you open a page on the internet)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #227
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    How is your "internet" item any different from an identical one purchased locally? None, except you screwed your State on the tax it would have received if you bought it at a store. That's not really fair is it?
    If it were about fairness (to B&M retailers, as portrayed) then small online retailers wouldn't be exempt. It's about revenue.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #228
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well as you stated its a delivery tax...
    No, it's a sales tax
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #229
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Ok, so can I presume Senate from blue states that do not have internet stores supported it for the same reason? If yes would this represent 'meeting in the isle'.
    I would expect the senators from blue states feel that way yes
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    In order to take advantage of this law, a state must agree to a Sales and Use Tax Agreement. This agreement sets out the rules stating how often and when a state can change it's rates. It also requires the state to make the new rate schedule available for downloading. The software is set to automatically check and download the new tax schedules and takes no effort on the part of the vendor. The updates are free as is the software.
    All this doesn't sound free...
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •