Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 285

Thread: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

  1. #201
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    No I am saying that traditionally republican states are not paying sales taxes because the sales are being made to places like Amazon. Which means that state government does not collect as much in sales taxes as it otherwise would
    'to places like Amazon'...still confused. Are you saying that 'traditionally republican states' are not recognizing sales tax revenue due to internet stores (like Amazon) being located in 'non-republican' states?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when you buy something from a state, by phycially being in the state, your sales tax go for roads, electricity the city or state uses, services offered by the state, this is form of representation thru tax dollars

    one of the reason before a state could not tax out of state purchases was, how could and out state person get taxed, and not be represented though those goods and services offered to its citizens.

    in other words in paying for their roads, electricity, services, but i dont get the opportunity to use them even though i help pay for them.
    But if I understand the bill correctly the 'internet store' charges sales tax at the prevailing rate of the location of shipment (customer) and then forwards tax receipts to the state of shipment location. This would alleviate the taxation/representation issue if I understand your point...?

    Perhaps I do not understand the bill correctly...?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  3. #203
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Walmart, and other large retail stores are supporting this bill heavily. Walmart can outspend Ebay and Amazon (much higher revenues and profits) in buying politicians, so they can buy the "no tax" republicans.
    Walmart is supporting this for one reason and one reason only... as a matter of their own practical reality. Period. They have a literal physical presence in all 50 states, so they already have to do this. They either want everybody else to be burdened just as they are, or they want the same ability to do an end-run around having to charge sales tax. And since they cannot get the latter, the former is their best available option.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #204
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    This whole issue has nothing to do with whether online sales and brick and mortar sales should be taxed the same or not. States are free to tax both...or neither.

    This Senate bill is about whether one State can require a company that doesn't reside in their State to COLLECT the tax. This is about whether a State can exert control over the citizen of another State.

    It's a bad bill.
    interesting?........does this mean in the future, we can have states suing citizens of other states--------> for state sales tax evasion?

  5. #205
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    'to places like Amazon'...still confused. Are you saying that 'traditionally republican states' are not recognizing sales tax revenue due to internet stores (like Amazon) being located in 'non-republican' states?
    Currently a state does not collect sales taxes for internet and mail order sales made by a retailer in other states

    Ie a purchase of a computer from Amazon in say Georgia, when Amazon's office is in another state, that sale does not generate any sales tax revenue for Georgia (nor for the state in which Amazon is based, but given the economic activity generated by the sale, I would consider it a win for the state Amazon is based in. Given that the larger internet sales companies are based outside of traditional republican states, those state are losing money in sales taxes that are not being generated (because of internet sales).
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when you buy something from a state, by phycially being in the state, your sales tax go for roads, electricity the city or state uses, services offered by the state, this is form of representation thru tax dollars

    one of the reason before a state could not tax out of state purchases was, how could and out state person get taxed, and not be represented though those goods and services offered to its citizens.

    in other words in paying for their roads, electricity, services, but i dont get the opportunity to use them even though i help pay for them.


    But, then, you also support tax exempt status for "special" entities, don't you ?..............................

  7. #207
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    But if I understand the bill correctly the 'internet store' charges sales tax at the prevailing rate of the location of shipment (customer) and then forwards tax receipts to the state of shipment location. This would alleviate the taxation/representation issue if I understand your point...?

    Perhaps I do not understand the bill correctly...?
    well i was stating how laws have been looked at in the past, which is why out of state sales could not be taxed.....(past tense)

    now they are saying becuase you used you PC and made the exchange in your state, the state can tax it.

    but i submit, that even though i had the sales on my PC, the web site itself was created, and maintained in another state as well as the goods are stored their.

    what happens if a state feels a vendor across the u.s. has cheated them, shall we now have states suing citizens of other state for tax evasion?....becuase you have to think this question is going to arise, when you dealing in lots of money.

  8. #208
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Currently a state does not collect sales taxes for internet and mail order sales made by a retailer in other states

    Ie a purchase of a computer from Amazon in say Georgia, when Amazon's office is in another state, that sale does not generate any sales tax revenue for Georgia (nor for the state in which Amazon is based, but given the economic activity generated by the sale, I would consider it a win for the state Amazon is based in. Given that the larger internet sales companies are based outside of traditional republican states, those state are losing money in sales taxes that are not being generated (because of internet sales).
    Yeah, I know all this but I still can't figure out how you tie this to Republicans supporting this. I mean it is not like blue states are benefiting from no sales taxes more that red states. Or were you just being facetious?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  9. #209
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well i was stating how laws have been looked at in the past, which is why out of state sales could not be taxed.....(past tense)

    now they are saying becuase you used you PC and made the exchange in your state, the state can tax it.

    but i submit, that even though i had the sales on my PC, the web site itself was created, and maintained in another state as well as the goods are stored their.

    what happens if a state feels a vendor across the u.s. has cheated them, shall we now have states suing citizens of other state for tax evasion?....becuase you have to think this question is going to arise, when you dealing in lots of money.
    States have always been able to sue people in any state if that person has broken one of their laws in their state.

    If a business does not want to be sued by a state, there's a simple solution - Don't sell to anyone in that state

    But if they choose to do business in any state, then they have to abide the laws of that state
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #210
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    re: Senate approves online sales tax bill [W:244]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    ...what happens if a state feels a vendor across the u.s. has cheated them, shall we now have states suing citizens of other state for tax evasion?....becuase you have to think this question is going to arise, when you dealing in lots of money.
    You're right, I do see hazards with this (but not the representation issue previously discussed). In effect it would be tax evasion which commonly currently occurs with regards to payroll tax withholdings by out of state companies. I also wonder about the taxes beyond state. Many counties and cities have additional sales taxes thus the burden for an online vendor to keep with it will be quite the burden. Sure some online software update on demand could be formulated but this just adds another expense dimension to businesses.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •