Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    They should be using personal computer when they are off duty.
    Use of the NIPRNET when off duty is a morale issue for many. First, do you think internet is as cheap in most countries as it is in the US? It most definitely is not. It can take a significant chunk out of a junior enlisted person's income. Second, many sites are blocked by the host country for political reasons. When I was stationed in Libya the only time I could access things like Youtube, Facebook, or many news sites was from the embassy's NIPRNET. Third, if the service member is going to be doing online banking or some online shopping they are often encouraged to do it from the NIPRNET as their personal information will be much safer than over some countries' ISPs.

    It is a "perk". The military sends overseas away from many of the comforts of home. So they do little things to help with morale, such as provide IVG lines for cheaper phone calls to the States, an APO which allows you to send and receive mail overseas at domestic rates, and limited use of NIPRNET during off hours. And much of the time the NIPRNET that is being used is at the on base library.

    It is a worthwhile benefit.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    It was accidnetal, it is not a news story, it is a fauxrage.
    So you have said. But you will have to forgive myself and others if we do not always believe things that come from Obama or Obama related agencies. Trust is earned, and the Obama camp, imo, has done little, if anything, to actually earn any trust.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #43
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    If trust is earned, why do you trust Fox. They do these outrage things time after time, day after day.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    So you have said. But you will have to forgive myself and others if we do not always believe things that come from Obama or Obama related agencies. Trust is earned, and the Obama camp, imo, has done little, if anything, to actually earn any trust.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  4. #44
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    So you have said. But you will have to forgive myself and others if we do not always believe things that come from Obama or Obama related agencies. Trust is earned, and the Obama camp, imo, has done little, if anything, to actually earn any trust.
    Where have you worked that blocking of websites is done on an individual hand-picked basis rather than by filtering software? Do you really think it more likely that for whatever reason some people in some places decided to specifically block the SBC website rather than the website innocently triggering a filter? Add in that apparently not all DoD computers blocked it which makes more sense: an administration directive (that no one can identify) that is randomly carried out, or differing sensitivity levels/programs at different locations? On govt computers I've seen cases where a website is blocked one morning but not in the afternoon and vice-versa.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    If trust is earned, why do you trust Fox. They do these outrage things time after time, day after day.
    Where did I say I trust Fox News? Do I read some of their articles, sure, they often carry news that others like CNN don't. Do I read their commentaries, opinions, etc? No. No news agency is without bias and none tell all the news. As far as broadcast news, I only occasionally watch local. I have an antenna, no cable, no satellite, so other than the channels that carry a national news program, I don't even have the option of watching Fox News, or CNN, etc.

    What is your source for "knowing" it was not intentional? Are they sourcing officials from the agency accused of wrongdoing? I don't need others to interpret for me, I concentrate only on the facts given. So far, I have not seen what I would call a reliable source contradicting it being intentional, but I also have seen no absolute proof saying it was. Therefore, at this point, I do not know if it was intentional or not.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #46
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Use of the NIPRNET when off duty is a morale issue for many. First, do you think internet is as cheap in most countries as it is in the US? It most definitely is not. It can take a significant chunk out of a junior enlisted person's income. Second, many sites are blocked by the host country for political reasons. When I was stationed in Libya the only time I could access things like Youtube, Facebook, or many news sites was from the embassy's NIPRNET. Third, if the service member is going to be doing online banking or some online shopping they are often encouraged to do it from the NIPRNET as their personal information will be much safer than over some countries' ISPs.

    It is a "perk". The military sends overseas away from many of the comforts of home. So they do little things to help with morale, such as provide IVG lines for cheaper phone calls to the States, an APO which allows you to send and receive mail overseas at domestic rates, and limited use of NIPRNET during off hours. And much of the time the NIPRNET that is being used is at the on base library.

    It is a worthwhile benefit.
    But at the taxpayers expense.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #47
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    I am sorry. I am not focused today and am not keeping my discussions straight, this the the second or third time I have done that. This story was town hall I think, I was thinking there is always an outrage on the RW blogoshpere. But I think I will read till I drink another cup of coffee and focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Where did I say I trust Fox News? Do I read some of their articles, sure, they often carry news that others like CNN don't. Do I read their commentaries, opinions, etc? No. No news agency is without bias and none tell all the news. As far as broadcast news, I only occasionally watch local. I have an antenna, no cable, no satellite, so other than the channels that carry a national news program, I don't even have the option of watching Fox News, or CNN, etc.

    What is your source for "knowing" it was not intentional? Are they sourcing officials from the agency accused of wrongdoing? I don't need others to interpret for me, I concentrate only on the facts given. So far, I have not seen what I would call a reliable source contradicting it being intentional, but I also have seen no absolute proof saying it was. Therefore, at this point, I do not know if it was intentional or not.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #48
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    But at the taxpayers expense.
    And that has what to do with anything? Or, is this some kind of incredibly lame argument about the seperation of church and state?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #49
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    I bow to your expertise on lame arguments.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #50
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Military Blocks Web Access to Southern Baptist Convention.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I don't need others to interpret for me, I concentrate only on the facts given. So far, I have not seen what I would call a reliable source contradicting it being intentional, but I also have seen no absolute proof saying it was. Therefore, at this point, I do not know if it was intentional or not.
    But do you think the two possibilities are equally likely? Applying Occam's Razor, a fault/glitch/setting of the filter is a simpler explanation than deliberate malice, which would require either multiple people individually targetting the SBC website or a general directive (not known to exist) that was ignored in some places and carried out in other.

    The conspiracy explanation requires a lot more explanation. Not passing the filter makes more sense.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •