Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 177

Thread: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

  1. #161
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Water Rights..
    and water wars ....

    Water Wars by Vandana Shiva
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  2. #162
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You didn't answer the question. As for cost, you and others are comparing everything to the price of bottled water. Privately run water systems don't bottle water and you assume this because that is one product that Nestlé sells. Do you really make the reach that people are going to fill their bathtubs with bottled water. Have a bit of sense please.

    I ask again, is there any point at which someone's water should be turned off for nonpayment--whether municipally run or private? Do you understand that government regulates private water and can still define the rules whether over themselves or private companies?

    Finally, it isn't a private company forcing my neighbors to hook up to municipal water and sewer, it is the government. No choice, no discussion. Better pay your bill on time or eventually you will be cut off. Governments can do that whether you vote some individuals out or not.
    I said that I don't like government ordered water or business regulated water. I said that cities were the exception because it's impossible for wells in the city. I also said that government is preferable to business because they aren't there to male a huge profit. Nestle wants to profit from this. We use "bottled" water as a reference because that is what business has today. They make a huge profit on it. Do you really believe they are going to be fair with their pricing if they control all of the water?!?!?!?!? Yeah, just like with gasoline. They just say "if you can't afford it, don't drive". They will be saying, "if you can't afford it, don't live!"

    I know someone who works for DELCORA. They forced people onto the public water system and the public sewer system and it's managed by this business. Their water and sewer prices more than tripled and older residents were actually forced out of their homes because of this company. This is exactly what you are advocating for.

  3. #163
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,203

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    I said that I don't like government ordered water or business regulated water. I said that cities were the exception because it's impossible for wells in the city. I also said that government is preferable to business because they aren't there to male a huge profit. Nestle wants to profit from this. We use "bottled" water as a reference because that is what business has today. They make a huge profit on it. Do you really believe they are going to be fair with their pricing if they control all of the water?!?!?!?!? Yeah, just like with gasoline. They just say "if you can't afford it, don't drive". They will be saying, "if you can't afford it, don't live!"

    I know someone who works for DELCORA. They forced people onto the public water system and the public sewer system and it's managed by this business. Their water and sewer prices more than tripled and older residents were actually forced out of their homes because of this company. This is exactly what you are advocating for.
    I don't presume to tell you for what you are advocating, I would appreciate you not presuming for what I advocate.

    You say that it is impossible for wells in the city because it is impossible. Based on what? Perhaps you are thinking New York or a large city rather than just "city".

    You say that government is preferable to business because they aren't there to make a huge profit, yet what incentive do they to be efficient or even to not force those same people out of their homes because of water prices?

    In the example you give, the government defined the parameters under which the water company can operate and yet when the water company operated under those parameters you blame the company. Where is the logic in that? Where was the sainted government protecting its citizens from the evil water company? What kind of shape was the system in when the municipality turned it over to this "business" to run? It's easy to look for blame, but it takes a bit longer to look for causes.

    I repeat again, I'm advocating for government oversight of private water in terms of quality, performance metrics and profit margin. I don't want the government in business and I don't want business in government. Your only solution to a bad deal with government is to vote someone out, while my solution is to have penalty clauses that encourage private water businesses to be efficient and effective.

    As for the Nestle's CEO, I didn't hear him proposing for Nestle's to move from consumer packaged goods into municipal water management. That sounds like a major strategic shift. Should water be managed? Sure, to some degree. People get cranky when they turn their faucet and clean water doesn't come out. They get even crankier when no water comes out.

    And for the final time, I will ask my question again: "Is there any point at which someone's water should be turned off for nonpayment--whether municipally run or private?"

  4. #164
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 07:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    And for the final time, I will ask my question again: "Is there any point at which someone's water should be turned off for nonpayment--whether municipally run or private?"
    Happens all the time. Usually after two or three payments are missed the water gets cut off.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  5. #165
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I don't presume to tell you for what you are advocating, I would appreciate you not presuming for what I advocate.

    You say that it is impossible for wells in the city because it is impossible. Based on what? Perhaps you are thinking New York or a large city rather than just "city".

    You say that government is preferable to business because they aren't there to make a huge profit, yet what incentive do they to be efficient or even to not force those same people out of their homes because of water prices?

    In the example you give, the government defined the parameters under which the water company can operate and yet when the water company operated under those parameters you blame the company. Where is the logic in that? Where was the sainted government protecting its citizens from the evil water company? What kind of shape was the system in when the municipality turned it over to this "business" to run? It's easy to look for blame, but it takes a bit longer to look for causes.

    I repeat again, I'm advocating for government oversight of private water in terms of quality, performance metrics and profit margin. I don't want the government in business and I don't want business in government. Your only solution to a bad deal with government is to vote someone out, while my solution is to have penalty clauses that encourage private water businesses to be efficient and effective.

    As for the Nestle's CEO, I didn't hear him proposing for Nestle's to move from consumer packaged goods into municipal water management. That sounds like a major strategic shift. Should water be managed? Sure, to some degree. People get cranky when they turn their faucet and clean water doesn't come out. They get even crankier when no water comes out.

    And for the final time, I will ask my question again: "Is there any point at which someone's water should be turned off for nonpayment--whether municipally run or private?"
    You are advocating for business run water supply. That's what this thread is about and you are arguing for business control of water rights. therefore, you are advocating our water rights be given to business.

    You don't listen/ read very well. I DON"T LIKE EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I was talking major metropolitan areas. My town of 2500 people is on water supplied by 3 wells. Our town is self sufficient. My water costs are also well below average for the country. We also have our own power company and our power is only 13 cents per kilowatt hour! If you can't understand that business charges more for water than government does, well, I'm sorry about that. If it were possible, I would that every person in the country could have a private well to control their own water. I also have my own filtering system at home. One that can purify sewage into drinkable water. I got that because the towns well got contaminated a couple years ago and I didn't find out until 12 hours later. But, if I were to get cut off, I can purify rain or stream water to supply it for my family. I will never allow myself to get cut off by government or business again! You go on believing that Nestle will be fair once they own the water rights. I will watch as people thirst to death because of people like you.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Interestingly the nestle water dispenser in our office (which I refuse to use) says "Pure Life." Apparently, nestle wants to privatize our ability to live. Water is a necessity that you should be provided by government or community cooperatives, not by profiteers.

  7. #167
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,203

    Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    You are advocating for business run water supply. That's what this thread is about and you are arguing for business control of water rights. therefore, you are advocating our water rights be given to business.

    You don't listen/ read very well. I DON"T LIKE EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I was talking major metropolitan areas. My town of 2500 people is on water supplied by 3 wells. Our town is self sufficient. My water costs are also well below average for the country. We also have our own power company and our power is only 13 cents per kilowatt hour! If you can't understand that business charges more for water than government does, well, I'm sorry about that. If it were possible, I would that every person in the country could have a private well to control their own water. I also have my own filtering system at home. One that can purify sewage into drinkable water. I got that because the towns well got contaminated a couple years ago and I didn't find out until 12 hours later. But, if I were to get cut off, I can purify rain or stream water to supply it for my family. I will never allow myself to get cut off by government or business again! You go on believing that Nestle will be fair once they own the water rights. I will watch as people thirst to death because of people like you.
    You are being dense or obtuse. I have consistently advocated for government control of water under the operation of business conforming to government standards. Anything else you think I'm saying is your own strawman.
    I've asked you three times a question you have refused to answer about non payment for water regardless who is in control and whether anyone should be cut off.

    Go back to arguing with yourself, I'd rather not join in.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  8. #168
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You are being dense or obtuse. I have consistently advocated for government control of water under the operation of business conforming to government standards. Anything else you think I'm saying is your own strawman.
    I've asked you three times a question you have refused to answer about non payment for water regardless who is in control and whether anyone should be cut off.

    Go back to arguing with yourself, I'd rather not join in.
    Like I said, NO nobody should ever be denied what should rightly belong to the public! No man should be able to put another's life in peril for money. That is why I have a way to purify my own water. No man is ever going to my family it has to die...Including people like you who want to strong arm people into submission to government and industry.

    IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YA?

  9. #169
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    A business providing water is no different than a government doing it--they both are making money off you.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You are being dense or obtuse. I have consistently advocated for government control of water under the operation of business conforming to government standards. Anything else you think I'm saying is your own strawman.
    I've asked you three times a question you have refused to answer about non payment for water regardless who is in control and whether anyone should be cut off.

    Go back to arguing with yourself, I'd rather not join in.
    So government controls the resource, sets the rules and decides profit. Sounds just like government run except there is a needles middlemen profiting.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •