Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 177

Thread: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

  1. #141
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Access to free water should not be a human right, it may be a privilege by the government in a nation but if you own the water no one else should force you to give it away or take it from you. I'm fine with companies owning water and wells and selling it, I'm also fine with governments distributing water from government owned land.
    So, basically you are giving the government or people with money absolute power over life? No one can live without water - a privilege it is not. More like a necessity. You have heard about companies pushing for regulations to forbid people collecting run-off water off their own property haven't you? It's cutting into their profit. When that happens only a couple people will "own" the water.

  2. #142
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Fine, should there be any control over water in any way, shape or form?
    In my opinion, you don't wait for your rights to be taken away and your ability to survive diminished before you fight. As Edward Burke once said, "all that is needed for evil to flourish id for good men to do nothing".

  3. #143
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    In my opinion, you don't wait for your rights to be taken away and your ability to survive diminished before you fight. As Edward Burke once said, "all that is needed for evil to flourish id for good men to do nothing".
    Fine words, but I don't think that answers my question: Should there be any control over water in any way, shape or form?

  4. #144
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Fine words, but I don't think that answers my question: Should there be any control over water in any way, shape or form?
    In my opinion, no. With the exception of on cities where the water has to be purified.

  5. #145
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I tend to agree with this, it all depends on a more strict clarification of exactly what he meant by "right". He did a piss-poor job of conveying his thoughts, IMO.



    Not necessarily...

    Man sentenced to jail for collecting rainwater in Oregon ? RT USA

    Who Owns the Rain? Hint: It's Not Always Homeowners - Popular Mechanics

    Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states
    Which shows the extent how far the Stupidity of Government can go down to.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #146
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    In my opinion, no. With the exception of on cities where the water has to be purified.
    I'm confused, you are saying there should be control in cities because of purification? Seriously, no other reason should water be controlled in any way? Should someone be able to build a business in rural areas that depletes the neighbors water supply?

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Should someone be able to build a business in rural areas that depletes the neighbors water supply?
    That's the fundamental question. It depends.

  8. #148
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    343

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I'm confused, you are saying there should be control in cities because of purification? Seriously, no other reason should water be controlled in any way? Should someone be able to build a business in rural areas that depletes the neighbors water supply?
    There is a huge difference between regulating water use by a company and keeping water away from people unless they pay a premium. You're comparing apples and oranges. Let's be intellectually honest here. We are talking about a company like Nestle controlling water so that everybody has to pay them for it, or they get to die. We are not talking about regulating water use as it applies to running a business.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Should there be any control over water in any way, shape or form?
    Any control over a water source (ie aquifer, stream, lake, etc.), should be paid for to the community.
    Land value tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #150
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Nestle CEO Says Water Is Food That Should Be Privatized

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    There is a huge difference between regulating water use by a company and keeping water away from people unless they pay a premium. You're comparing apples and oranges. Let's be intellectually honest here. We are talking about a company like Nestle controlling water so that everybody has to pay them for it, or they get to die. We are not talking about regulating water use as it applies to running a business.
    I can't make the same reach you are about Nestle's CEO or Nestle as a company and their objectives. I'm trying to find a position I can agree with. If the water is being controlled and it requires payment, then in theory it can be shut off. Whether it is a government entity or a private company, the water is still off without payment. Are you advocating that all water should be free? Just some of it? None of it? I can't tell.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •