Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

  1. #31
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Wow, way to totally ignore the message in the OP, because no way can diehard partisians even consider the possibility that those on the other side of the aisle are actual, you know, people instead of "the enemy who must be crushed."

    I can't believe that some people are so insecure or just plain rabid, that they can't even allow a "liberal" to be praised for good works without trying to turn an uplifting, feel-good thread into a hyper-partisian food fight.

    Personally, I can't even fathom what it must feel like to live with such all-consuming hatred based on nothing more than differing ideologies. It really does pervert the meaning of "humanity."

    /rant
    Man, the above missed the point in a pretty hard core way.

    Nobody said enemy or crushed. What was said was viewing them in a positive light, or not. And anyone get's praised for good stuff, but that doesn't erase their bad behavior. I think the rest of what you wrote is merely projection.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Remember your flowery words here the next time you are trashing all pro gun folks in the gun control forum.

    Leopards do not change their spots, and neither will you, but feel free to prove me wrong.

    You will continue to reap what you sow.

    If you are actually honest about this thread, prove it with your own acceptance and civility going forward.
    I will certainly try but no one is perfect you know.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Why not call A tea partier a "bigoted fascist idiot" if they happen to be one? You see that capitalised letter "A"? It is intended to mean ONE individual, not all members of a group.
    Read the thread, perhaps you'll understand the point of my post.

    Sure, call a tea partier that. Just calling the man in the cowboy hat "unamerican commie scum". However, the purpose of the OP seemed to be suggesting that broadscale insulting of people in a grand degrading way based on political views you disagree with is perhaps a bit of a knee jerk thing to do as in the grand scale of things they may very well be fine people who would do very good things. That, as the OP implies, "despite political differences when things really [start] going bad none of that [matters]".

    The point of my post was to state that it the notion some have been saying...to stop lauanching massive personal attacks and degrading labels onto people baesd on their political views because ultimately that's only a fraction of what truly makes a person....is a good one, but one that I was too cynical to belief would ever happen because too many people are stead fast in going "GRRR, My ideology is right, my insult isn't an insult...it's absolutely correct. GRRR".

    Thanks for proving me right.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I will certainly try but no one is perfect you know.
    People might not question you motives so much if you didn't basically argue with only the people on the Right that are disagreeing with your point in this thread while you didn't make one comment to Somerville basically proudly proclaiming that you absolutely SHOULD roundly insult people for their political views.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Why not call A tea partier a "bigoted fascist idiot" if they happen to be one? You see that capitalised letter "A"? It is intended to mean ONE individual, not all members of a group.

    It is the Conservatives who I see attacking groups because of the actions of ONE person who happens to be a member of said group. It is yet one more example of the binary thinking, the "either/or", the "MY way or the Highway" pattern of thought so often exhibited by our modern American right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    People might not question you motives so much if you didn't basically argue with only the people on the Right that are disagreeing with your point in this thread while you didn't make one comment to Somerville basically proudly proclaiming that you absolutely SHOULD roundly insult people for their political views.
    I honestly did not see this but you are right I should have noticed it, I tend to post my just using the notifications on who's quoting and liking me and go from there so sometimes I don't notice what's happening in the wider topic, even when its my own topic. Yes somerville's words would be contradicting what I'm trying to say.

  6. #36
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Because no one wants to really destroy the future of any children, that's just rhetoric we throw around.
    Great message but the one's that needed to hear it the most don't get it.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #37
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,869

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I will certainly try but no one is perfect you know.
    Already leaving yourself a way out, I see.

    Hypocrisy duly noted.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #38
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I ran across this story and I thought it was interesting from the perspective of the kind of hatred and anger we often direct at ourselves, meaning our fellow Americans. The story is about this man, Carlos Arredondo, wearing the cowboy hat.



    In 2004 his son was killed in Iraq by a sniper and Carlos attempted to commit suicide by burning himself alive with a can of gasoline. Later on he became passionately anti-war, he's what many of you would describe as a liberal who thinks we should have never invaded Iraq and it was done as a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11. He attended protests were in 2007 he was assaulted by members of a counter protest going on at the same time. Later in 2011 his other son committed suicide

    The Redemption Of The Man In The Cowboy Hat | Cognoscenti

    Daily Kos: Boston Hero Carlos Arredondo Beaten by 'Gathering of Eagles' Thugs in 2007

    The People Who Assaulted a Gold Star Father on September 15th | War Is A Crime .org

    This topic isn't attempting to paint all liberals as selfless heroes or all conservatives as violent offenders, I'm making it in the hopes that some of the folks here who often try to dehumanize people they disagree with as "scum," "unamerican," "pink-commie" you get the idea will remember what was demonstrated here. That despite political differences when things really started going bad none of that mattered and this man acted in a way we would all consider heroic and a fine example of American pride. Let's not let the things that are different about us, despite how passionately we feel about them in the present, ever let us dehumanize our fellow Americans who despite any political differences we'll always have far more in common with and share more beliefs with than anything that may be different between us.

    Do you also feel that way about people who attend and support Tea Party rallies?

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Already leaving yourself a way out, I see.

    Hypocrisy duly noted.
    Well I'm not going to say I'm never going to let my emotion get the better of me, especially when there's a few people here who can really get under my skin. I mean is there anything wrong with my message besides the fact that you don't think I should be giving it?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Do you also feel that way about people who attend and support Tea Party rallies?
    Yes

  10. #40
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Boston Civilian Hero was Beat by 'Patriot' group

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Do you also feel that way about people who attend and support Tea Party rallies?
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I have an opinion on it so I'm gonna go ahead and jump in.

    To answer your question, yes, I do feel that way about people who attend Tea Party rallies. And about people who consider themselves anarchists, and about socialists, and about Navy vets (I'm Army), and about WVU grads (I'm Rutgers), and about... well, you get the idea.

    I have friends, real life friends, who come from all kinds of different backgrounds, subscribe to different ideologies, attend all kinds of different churches, vote differently than I do, support "the war" or don't support "the war", share hobbies with me and even some who think my hobbies are downright ridiculous.

    I'm exposed to people in my daily life (coworkers, acquaintances, people I just happen to run into on the street or in the grocery store or at my kid's Little League games, etc...) who broaden that circle I travel in expotentially.

    I can't think of any time that I've verbally attacked any of them in the manner that we commonly see on the Internet (I've heard it called "flaming").

    Beyond that, I've never just seen it spontaneously and randomly happen between two other people, so I know that y'all aren't doing it either.

    I've never seen a conservative Marine Corp. veteran Tea Partier thoroughly tongue-lash a teenager in a "Che" Guevara tee-shirt, and likewise I've never seen a liberal hemp-wearing hippy 99%er start calling someone names because he drove up in a car that had a "Bush/Cheney 2004" sticker on the bumper.

    That said, MANY folks online would have no compunction whatsoever about running their mouth like they're afflicted with Tourette Syndrome if they saw that someone else had a "Che" Guevara or "Bush/Cheney 2004" avatar or sig pic.

    The reason people act like douchebags on the Internet is because there are no (what I've heard described as) "geographically induced consequences".

    You're anonymous on the Internet, you're likely 1000 miles away from the person you're insulting, and your childish behavior is never going to come back to you (either from the target of your insulting comment punching you in the face, or your wife slapping you upside the head, or from your boss firing you, or from the neighbors thinking you're an a$$hole, or whatever).

    People, essentially, are animals, and they behave with whatever degree of civility only because they've been acculturated to do so. Take away society, or change the rules of society (such that being a douchebag is accepted), and that veneer of civility falls away pretty quickly.

    Unless, of course, you make a concerted effort to not behave like savage just because you can.

    You (YOU) would never consider going off on someone and calling them a pinko-liberal-pu$$y or a jackbooted-racist-facist in the office because they had an opinion different than your own.

    Pretty simple to not do it on the Internet if you put your mind to it, but many people don't have the self control to hold themselves to a higher standard.

    (And look, I know that we ALL slip up sometimes. But there's a difference between slipping up sometimes and being "that guy" who everyone KNOWS is gonna jump in with some smarta$$, punk comment every time he sticks hiss head in a thread. I'm talking about the latter here.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •