Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 130

Thread: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's [W:40]

  1. #71
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Kind of strange. McDonald's has very strict food preparation methods and does not allow any of the franchisees to deviate at all from the central food preparation standards. That's why McDonald's food tastes the same no matter where you are.

    Yet this particular McDonald's is sued for not property preparing tasty Muslim snacks?
    because they apparently advertised it as Halal

  2. #72
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    because they apparently advertised it as Halal
    They're not supposed to do that either. Must be a rogue McDonald's.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,067

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Kind of strange. McDonald's has very strict food preparation methods and does not allow any of the franchisees to deviate at all from the central food preparation standards. That's why McDonald's food tastes the same no matter where you are.

    Yet this particular McDonald's is sued for not property preparing tasty Muslim snacks?
    maybe you need to read the link again
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #74
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    When I said (above) that this settlement "sounded fair" to me I meant in relation to other false advertising settlements/judegements.

    Just as a single example, Sketchers (the shoe company) settled for $45 million dollars because their "Shape Up" sandals didn't live up to the advertising claim that wearers would lose weight "without stepping foot in the gym".

    You might find that excessive too, and I guess as far as it goes there's really nothing wrong with that, it's just your opinion after all so no big deal.

    But I think we have a pretty clear standard in this country that if you market a product, and in doing so make claims that the product does not live up to, you're going to be held accountable for that (or at least, the potential exists that you will).

    I simply think that $700K when we're talking about a relatively small population suing over a relatively inexpensive product is "fair" in comparison to a larger class suing over a more expensive product and getting $45 million.



    McDonald's market research had to have told them that advertising the food as halal was advisable otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

    Whether or not people actually kept halal, or whether they simply told the folks running the focus group, polls, and surveys that they kept halal because it made them feel good about themselves is kinda immaterial.

    Once McDonalds made that promise to consumers (that their food was halal), regardless of how they came to make the decision, they were obligated to live up to it.
    there was also the case I cited earlier with similar concerns among hindus, that netted a 10 million dollar settlement

  5. #75
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    McDonald's has very strict food preparation methods and does not allow any of the franchisees to deviate at all from the central food preparation standards.
    McDonalds has two franchises, both located in Dearborne, MI, that are permitted to deviate from their central food preperation practices such that they may serve halal foods.

  6. #76
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    there was also the case I cited earlier with similar concerns among hindus, that netted a 10 million dollar settlement
    Yeah, there are tons and tons of examples.

    Bottom line is that when, as a business, you say you're going to do something (or are doing something) you're expected to keep your word.

    Personally, I think that's a good standard.

  7. #77
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    because they apparently advertised it as Halal
    Not all mcdonalds just this mcdonalds advertised it as hala . It is pretty rare to find a mcdonalds that deivates from the menu so it is pretty strange .

  8. #78
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    They're not supposed to do that either. Must be a rogue McDonald's.
    what are they going to do serve actual "beef" and " chicken "

  9. #79
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    without getting into the issues with reducing every form of bigotry to "racism", I was clearly addressing your claim that "muslim" was an ethnicity. Which you even tried to defend, when I first addressed the issues with it.

    So it's rather silly to now act as if we were discussing something else
    Again, if you want to IGNORE what was said SPECIFICALLY by the poster and then try to IGNORE the CONTEXT of MY argument and IGNORE how the last definition APPLIES, then I think we are done. It wasn't "something else", it was the central point....and it goes to the broader point that certain people decide when events occur they can post threads to display their attitude toward certain religious/ethnic groups......and others decide to cover for them...rather badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #80
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Deal approved in Muslims' suit against McDonald's

    Quote Originally Posted by Un biased View Post
    what are they going to do serve actual "beef" and " chicken "
    They could serve little Muslim Unhappy Meals, with little plastic Jihad toys in them.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •