Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

  1. #131
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Please enlighten me on what the word regulate means in the second amendment then. Go ahead and turn the sentence into a cluster**** by picking the modern definition of the word. It is alway enjoyable watching liberals try to figure out how the sentence still works after they do such nonsense.
    Under the Constitution, "Congress, according to Article I, Section 8, has the mandate to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States..." The "Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress" is reserved to the states."

    Exploring the Constitution, Part 21: The Second Amendment and a Well Regulated Militia
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Under the Constitution, "Congress, according to Article I, Section 8, has the mandate to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States..." The "Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress" is reserved to the states."

    Exploring the Constitution, Part 21: The Second Amendment and a Well Regulated Militia
    That is such a stupid argument.Tell me you didn't just use article 1 section 8 when talking about the militia that is mentioned in the second amendment? Oh my god.

    You just turned the sentence into a cluster**** with your broken ass logic. Congrats.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-11-13 at 04:05 AM.

  3. #133
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Sooo its okay for "mentally unstable people" to have firearms at will?
    There is not any one person on earth who is not—at least to some degree—“mentally unstable”. It's part of being human.

    It is true that there are some people whose minds are so defective that they pose a danger to themselves and others, but these are a very tiny minority, even among those who could be honestly said to be more “mentally unstable” than average. The only effective and ethical means of dealing with such, once proper due process has been followed, is to remove them from free society. As long as they are free, attempting to enact and enforce laws that prohibit crazy people from doing crazy things is futile, at best.

    I find it very dangerous to use the criteria of “mentally unstable” as a broad basis for depriving people of any of their basic rights. There is a long history of government declaring their enemies to be mentally unstable, or insane, and on this basis, imprisoning them, or otherwise depriving them of their rights. Dianne Feinstein herself has openly called for war veterans in general to be considered mentally unstable, due to a potential for post-traumatic stress syndrome, and on that basis, to be broadly denied their Second Amendment rights.

    Of all the basic rights which the Constitution affirms, the right to keep and bear arms is the one right which government has most solidly proven that it cannot be trusted to uphold or respect. Any power that government is allowed to claim to pick and choose who may or may not exercise this right [b]will[/b[ be abused, and has already been abused, to an outrageous degree.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Under the Constitution, "Congress, according to Article I, Section 8, has the mandate to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States..." The "Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress" is reserved to the states."

    Exploring the Constitution, Part 21: The Second Amendment and a Well Regulated Militia
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is such a stupid argument.Tell me you didn't just use article 1 section 8 when talking about the militia that is mentioned in the second amendment? Oh my god.

    You just turned the sentence into a cluster**** with your broken ass logic. Congrats.
    I guess I should say a bit more. Your logic is ****ed beyond belief. Your argument wouldn't lead to the congress being able to regulate guns in the modern sense, but to maintain access to them in 1780's sense. Your dumb argument wouldn't lead to the government being able to regulate away guns but instead would ensure that they protect the peoples right to bear arms. Do you even have the ability to understand english? Do you honestly believe that the modern definition of regulate makes any sense at all in that sentence? Your argument and your source only help me, but you are so caught up in your nonsense use of a modern definition in the second amendment you are blinded to all reason.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-11-13 at 04:59 AM.

  5. #135
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/harry-reid-joe-manchin-pat-toomey-89806.html#ixzz2Q1zLs09

    I can agree with this. Universal Background checks seems like common sense and a good step forward for this country.

    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Coming from you I have no doubt it's the worst thing ever.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Only the far right doesn't understand what the word, "regulated" means in the the 2nd Amendment. How unhealthy for the country!
    "A well-Regulated militia" is one that is well-trained and in good order. It has nothing to do with legislative action.

  7. #137
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I know i stated that...



    SO how do you punish someone who "thought" wrong?
    You asked. I answered.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,930

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Giving in at all is unacceptable. This entire debate has no reason to exist since the constitution is very clear on the topic. There is no wiggle room that exists. Yes, I'm not willing to give in one little bit on our rights. Cry if you want about it.
    What do you mean - the Constitution is CLEAR about it?

    As to your use of the accusation of "cry if you want about it" - that seems silly as I clearly said I could well understand why any gun industry supporter would nto want to give an inch on this issue.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Prevented Sandy Hook? No. On the other hand, if had restrictions on magazine sizes, the number of deaths at Sandy Hook, Aurora and Tuscon, in all probability would have been much less. But we aren't going down that make sense path. Instead, we are left with the half-assed approach that, at best, will retard the acquisition of firearms by some people. It might have prevented Columbine, for example, as those guns were purchased by a surrogate at a gun show and could prevent Arlington.
    Columbine was carried out using 10rnd magazines, not 30rnd magazines. The shooters brought 18 10rnd mags and fired over 130rnds before it was over. Also, California had an assault-weapon ban in force at the time; the weapons used were not assault weapons. And one last thing, the legal owners of those weapons could pass NICS, so even if background checks were required at gun shows it wouldn't have made any difference.

    Adam Lansa did not use all of his ammunition. He didn't kill himself because he was running out of amo, he killed himself because the police were arriving.

    The complete ban on explosives didn't stop the CO shooter or Columbine, either.

    Gun bans and and background checks aren't the answer. Targeting mental illness is the answer.

  10. #140
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Joe Manchin says on verge of gun deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Your argument wouldn't lead to the congress being able to regulate guns in the modern sense..........

    They have! Just look at all the gun regulation enacted by Congress since 1934.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •