Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178

Thread: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

  1. #141
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    The stats I've seen say otherwise.
    As I said, violent crime rate is measured differently in England (and most countries really) so it's not really a good comparison.

    And most civilized/1st world countries do.

    All factors...and all things which are found in most countries.

    Australia has shown a decline in gun related homicide. Japan has extremely low firearm related murder rates. Even England, who you keep talking about having a violent crime rate, has a low gun related homicide rate. Developed countries, countries we compare ourselves to, with strict gun laws (not necessarily restrictive, but strict) have lower homicide rates. Regardless of what you wish to accredit that to, it is the facts.

    Yes, they have. Australia is a prime example. Australia had 104 firearm related homicides in 1996 (when the gun laws were enacted) to 30 in 2010. I'd say that was effective.
    The usual, tired trick of limiting it to "gun murder" or "gun crime."

    The United States a lower Citroen car accident rate than France does. Does that tell anyone anything useful? About cars, accidents, Citroens, or anything at all? Indeed it does not.

    Violent crime in the United States is at record lows. Gun ownership is at a record high. Both are facts.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #142
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If I'm misunderstanding the types of crimes you were referring to, that could be because you can't be bothered for form whole sentences. You make sloppy posts and then crumb when someone can't follow your line of thought.
    what you are really saying is that you understand well what I said ... but rather than admit that I am correct, you will attack me because I chose to not waste words in my response to your post, as it referred to ill founded and cherry picked information.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  3. #143
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The usual, tired trick of limiting it to "gun murder" or "gun crime."

    The United States a lower Citroen car accident rate than France does. Does that tell anyone anything useful? About cars, accidents, Citroens, or anything at all? Indeed it does not.

    Violent crime in the United States is at record lows. Gun ownership is at a record high. Both are facts.
    but why is your murder rate so high relative to similar countries?
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  4. #144
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Wrong.

    Homicide rates are based on poverty, corruption in gov't, ineffective policing, factions/tribes/gangs, and drug dealing.
    so what you are saying is that the US is considerably less effective at dealing with these issues than other, similar countries. why is that?

    It can't be because you are not tough enough on crime - you also have a significantly higher prison population than similar countries - in fact - higher than ANY other country.

    List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Gun ownership rates or gun laws have frack-all to do with it one way or the other.

    Violent crime rates in England are 4x higher than the US, the only thing they have less of is murder but they have far more of everything else.

    All verifiable stats.
    maybe so, but since when was all violent crime regarded as homicide?


    Mexico has truly draconian gun control, yet it is practically a war zone due to corruption, ineffective LE and drug trade.
    the US/Mexico border is not just problematic for the US: ATF: Mexico seized 68,000 guns made in or imported to United States since 2006 - CBS News

    Canada has FIVE TIMES the gun ownership rates of Great Britain... but there is very little difference in homicide rate (1.2 to 1.6). Why doesn't Canada have 5x the murder rate of Britain when they have five times as many guns? Culture, of course. Same reason Canada is generally more peaceful and has far less violent crime in general.
    that is VERY important, and it might be worth looking at why that is.


    From a previous thread on this same theme...
    no, it is not ... but the US is clearly a society which is prone to violence - for whatever reason. Throw easy access to weapons which are designed for a war zone into the mix, and look what you end up with.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  5. #145
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You're wrong, and the stats prove you are wrong. If you want to be snobbish about Honduras and Mexico, there's Russia and the Ukraine; there's Britains high violent crime rate.
    seriously - you want to compare your country to Russia and Ukraine?

    Do you seriously believe the country which claims itself to be the "leader of the free world" is comparable TO corrupt former CIS states?

    all violent crime is defined as homicide?

    Nations with draconian gun control should have lower murder rates if you were stating a fundamental truth, regardless of economic status... but they don't and you aren't.
    that argument is incredibly simplistic and ignores the many systemic factors that can contribute to violence

    Poverty and wealth inequality, corruption and ineffective gov, faction/tribe/gang, drug trade.... these are the primary causal agents of murder, not guns.

    Deny it if you wish, but if you study the data it is as obvious as daylight.
    so what you are saying is the US is up to four times as ineffective at dealing with these issues as other OECD countries.

    why is that?
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  6. #146
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    but why is your murder rate so high relative to similar countries?
    Inner-city gang violence.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    what you are really saying is that you understand well what I said ... but rather than admit that I am correct, you will attack me because I chose to not waste words in my response to your post, as it referred to ill founded and cherry picked information.
    I seriously don't know what you were trying to say. Were you trying to bring up the Monash University shooting or what?

  8. #148
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Inner-city gang violence.
    research has shown that gun ownership is also a significant risk factor for homicide in the home: MMS: Error

    not to mention a significant factor in unintentional death - including the deaths of children:

    Children aged 5 to 14 years in the United States have 11 times the likelihood of being killed accidentally with a gun compared with similarly aged children in other developed countries (Table 1).[4] The United States has been in this unenviable position for at least the past decade.[5] From 2003 to 2007, the yearly averages of unintentional firearm fatalities were as follows: 62 children aged 0 to 14, 89 youth aged 15 to 19, and 95 young adults aged 20 to 24 years.[6]

    Not surprisingly, there are more accidental gun deaths in areas with more guns.[7–9] The differences are substantial. To illustrate, we compare accidental firearm deaths among the states most extreme in terms of firearm ownership levels. States are grouped so that the populations of the high and low gun states are equal. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) data, between 2003 and 2007, the typical resident from the 15 states with the most guns (WY, MT, AK, SD, AR, WV, AL, ID, MS, ND, KY, TN, LA, MO, and VT) was 6 times more likely to die in a gun accident than a typical resident from the 6 states with the fewest guns (HI, NJ, MA, RI, CT, and NY). For example, although there were virtually the same number of children aged 5 to 14 years in both groups of states, 82 had died from accidental gunshot wounds in these high gun states, compared with 8 in the low gun states (Table 2).

    Fatal injuries are only the tip of the iceberg. For every fatality from an accidental shooting, there are more than 10 people injured seriously enough in gun accidents to be treated in hospital emergency departments.[10] In other words, almost 20 people a day are shot unintentionally but do not die. This number does not include any of the more than 45 people per day who are treated in emergency rooms for BB/pellet gun wounds (2003–2007) or the many others injured by firearms in other ways (eg, powder burns, struck with a firearm, injured by the recoil of a firearm), many unintentionally.

    One study of nonfatal accidental shootings found that the majority were self-inflicted, most involved handguns, and more than one third of the injuries required hospitalization. Injuries often occurred during fairly routine gun handling—cleaning a gun, loading and unloading, target shooting, and so on.[11] It is important to recognize that although some people are at higher risk for unintentional shootings than others, accidents can happen to anyone. No one is completely immune, as shown anecdotally by scores of stories of police, firearms safety instructors, firearms advocates, and other experts who have accidentally shot themselves or others.[12]

    Overall, the evidence indicates that a gun in the home is a risk factor for serious accidental injury. When 34 injury prevention experts were asked to prioritize home injury hazards for young children, based on frequency, severity, and preventability of the injury, the experts rated access to firearms in the home as the most significant hazard.[13]
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/753058_2
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #149
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I seriously don't know what you were trying to say. Were you trying to bring up the Monash University shooting or what?
    you may have a comprehension problem
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    Have to be a member to view source.

    /invalid

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •