Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 178

Thread: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

  1. #131
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's not all Americans, it's Americans in cities with populations greater than 250,000. America happens to have more of those size cities.
    a greater percentage of Australians live in large urban centres with populations above one million, and yet we have less than a quarter of the number of murders per capita, so that can't be the reason.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  2. #132
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    murders?

    less than one quarter?

    no mass shootings since the gun ban?

    your source is linking this to the gun ban, which was not relevant at all for the type of crimes referred to.

    you need to look at other factors that may be influencing these statistics. going to the original report, rather than relying on a source that cherry picks information to suit its own agenda, would be sensible.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  3. #133
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He's not making stuff up. It's a fact that gun control has never had a positive effect on the crime rate.

    If the gun bill passes and it becomes illegal to open carry in a mv, then we'll see violent crime become rampant on the highways. Carjackings are going to become the crime de jour.
    that may indicate inherent problems within your society, but it would significantly reduce the risk of incidents like Sandy Hook.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    For everything on that list, we disregard failed methods in favor of those methods which work
    Fewer people are killed by guns in countries with stricter gun control. I'd say that's working.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He's not making stuff up. It's a fact that gun control has never had a positive effect on the crime rate.
    How about the homicide by firearm rate? Has gun control affected that?

    How come the pro gun crowd always tries to twist the argument on this? I want to ban certain types of guns to lower the homicide rate. We have evidence of this working in other countries. Let's keep our eyes on what's important.

  5. #135
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Fewer people are killed by guns in countries with stricter gun control. I'd say that's working.

    .

    Wrong.

    Homicide rates are based on poverty, corruption in gov't, ineffective policing, factions/tribes/gangs, and drug dealing.

    Gun ownership rates or gun laws have frack-all to do with it one way or the other.

    Violent crime rates in England are 4x higher than the US, the only thing they have less of is murder but they have far more of everything else.

    All verifiable stats.

    Mexico has truly draconian gun control, yet it is practically a war zone due to corruption, ineffective LE and drug trade.


    Canada has FIVE TIMES the gun ownership rates of Great Britain... but there is very little difference in homicide rate (1.2 to 1.6). Why doesn't Canada have 5x the murder rate of Britain when they have five times as many guns? Culture, of course. Same reason Canada is generally more peaceful and has far less violent crime in general.


    From a previous thread on this same theme...

    I will list the top nations in order of rates of intentional homicide, also showing their rates of private gun ownership, then show the USA by contrast.

    Name.... homicide rate per 100,000.... gun ownership rate per 100.

    Honduras... 91.6... 6.2
    El Salvador... 69.2 ... 5.8
    Cote d'Ivoire... 56.9 ... not listed
    Jamaica... 52.2 ... 8.1
    Venezuela ... 45.1 ... 10.7
    Belize ... 41.1 ... 10
    Virgin Islands ... 39.2 ... not listed
    Guatemala ... 38.5 ... 13.1
    skipping down a bit...
    Columbia ... 33.4 ... 5.9
    South Africa... 31.8 ... 12.7
    skipping down some more...
    Greenland ... 19.2 ... not listed
    Russia ... 10.2 ... 8.9
    skipping down some more...
    Ukraine.... 5.2 ... 6.6
    Cuba... 5.0 ... 4.8

    And finally, well over halfway down the list...

    USA... 4.2 ... 88.8


    Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    As it turns out, the United States does not have that high of a homicide rate compared to most other countries, and given the amount of privately owned arms we are FAR more peaceable than most on a per-gun-owned basis.

    OBVIOUSLY, gun ownership is NOT directly linked to murder rates.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #136
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Wrong.
    Uhh, no, it's accurate. Regardless of what you wish to credit the lower deaths to, it's still correct.

    Gun ownership rates or gun laws have frack-all to do with it one way or the other.
    I disagree. It's simple logic. The fewer people who can have easy access to a gun, the fewer people who can use a gun to kill people. The argument then becomes "if they really want to, they will", which could very well be true, but it's also true it is so much more difficult to kill with any other weapon.

    Violent crime rates in England are 4x higher than the US, the only thing they have less of is murder but they have far more of everything else.
    Violent crime is measured differently in England than in the United States. This is not really a relevant statement. But, while we're on the subject, I'd much rather be mugged than murdered.

    Mexico has truly draconian gun control, yet it is practically a war zone due to corruption, ineffective LE and drug trade.

    Canada has FIVE TIMES the gun ownership rates of Great Britain... but there is very little difference in homicide rate (1.2 to 1.6). Why doesn't Canada have 5x the murder rate of Britain when they have five times as many guns? Culture, of course. Same reason Canada is generally more peaceful and has far less violent crime in general.
    Would you argue 300 million guns in this country contribute to a gun culture?

    From a previous thread on this same theme...
    I looked at your list...and THOSE are the type of countries you want to compare the United States to? Shouldn't we be comparing ourselves more to countries who are 1st world and/or civilized countries?

  7. #137
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Uhh, no, it's accurate. Regardless of what you wish to credit the lower deaths to, it's still correct.

    I disagree. It's simple logic. The fewer people who can have easy access to a gun, the fewer people who can use a gun to kill people. The argument then becomes "if they really want to, they will", which could very well be true, but it's also true it is so much more difficult to kill with any other weapon.

    Violent crime is measured differently in England than in the United States. This is not really a relevant statement.

    Would you argue 300 million guns in this country contribute to a gun culture?



    I looked at your list...and THOSE are the type of countries you want to compare the United States to? Shouldn't we be comparing ourselves more to countries who are 1st world and/or civilized countries?


    You're wrong, and the stats prove you are wrong. If you want to be snobbish about Honduras and Mexico, there's Russia and the Ukraine; there's Britains high violent crime rate.

    Nations with draconian gun control should have lower murder rates if you were stating a fundamental truth, regardless of economic status... but they don't and you aren't.

    Poverty and wealth inequality, corruption and ineffective gov, faction/tribe/gang, drug trade.... these are the primary causal agents of murder, not guns.

    Deny it if you wish, but if you study the data it is as obvious as daylight.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #138
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,329

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Fewer people are killed by guns in countries with stricter gun control. I'd say that's working.

    How about the homicide by firearm rate? Has gun control affected that?

    How come the pro gun crowd always tries to twist the argument on this? I want to ban certain types of guns to lower the homicide rate. We have evidence of this working in other countries. Let's keep our eyes on what's important.
    No, it hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    murders?

    less than one quarter?

    no mass shootings since the gun ban?

    your source is linking this to the gun ban, which was not relevant at all for the type of crimes referred to.

    you need to look at other factors that may be influencing these statistics. going to the original report, rather than relying on a source that cherry picks information to suit its own agenda, would be sensible.
    If I'm misunderstanding the types of crimes you were referring to, that could be because you can't be bothered for form whole sentences. You make sloppy posts and then crumb when someone can't follow your line of thought.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Stabbing injures several on Lone Star College Cy-Fair campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You're wrong, and the stats prove you are wrong.
    The stats I've seen say otherwise.
    there's Britains high violent crime rate.
    As I said, violent crime rate is measured differently in England (and most countries really) so it's not really a good comparison.

    Nations with draconian gun control should have lower murder rates if you were stating a fundamental truth
    And most civilized/1st world countries do.

    Poverty and wealth inequality, corruption and ineffective gov, faction/tribe/gang, drug trade
    All factors...and all things which are found in most countries.

    Deny it if you wish, but if you study the data it is as obvious as daylight.
    Australia has shown a decline in gun related homicide. Japan has extremely low firearm related murder rates. Even England, who you keep talking about having a violent crime rate, has a low gun related homicide rate. Developed countries, countries we compare ourselves to, with strict gun laws (not necessarily restrictive, but strict) have lower homicide rates. Regardless of what you wish to accredit that to, it is the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, it hasn't.
    Yes, they have. Australia is a prime example. Australia had 104 firearm related homicides in 1996 (when the gun laws were enacted) to 30 in 2010. I'd say that was effective.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •