Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 114

Thread: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I've got breaking news. Ryan lost the election and his plan was rejected by the voters.
    Yeah I have some breaking news for you too. This Plan came about after he lost the Election.....while now over half the country regrets bringing Obama to his 2nd term.

  2. #62
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Really......

    Really:


    "CMS and the Kaiser Family Foundation tell ABC News that there will be no benefit cuts to Medicare. They say instead of Medicare’s being cut, there will be much more spending at the end of a 10-year window, but it does slow the rate of that growth. This is all unless Congress makes drastic changes to Medicare, for example passing House Budget Chairman Rep. Paul Ryan’s Medicare Plan.

    CMS says—and Kaiser agrees—that spending will be reduced by getting rid of fraud and ending overpayments to private insurance companies. It sends a message to those insurance companies: Operate more efficiently.

    And instead of cuts, the CMS says they will be able to fund new benefits, including free preventive care and broader prescription coverage, including closing the “doughnut hole” affecting seniors."

    Fact-Checking Romney: Does Health Reform Cut Medicare, Levy $500 Billion Tax? - ABC News
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Really:


    "CMS and the Kaiser Family Foundation tell ABC News that there will be no benefit cuts to Medicare. They say instead of Medicare’s being cut, there will be much more spending at the end of a 10-year window, but it does slow the rate of that growth. This is all unless Congress makes drastic changes to Medicare, for example passing House Budget Chairman Rep. Paul Ryan’s Medicare Plan.

    CMS says—and Kaiser agrees—that spending will be reduced by getting rid of fraud and ending overpayments to private insurance companies. It sends a message to those insurance companies: Operate more efficiently.

    And instead of cuts, the CMS says they will be able to fund new benefits, including free preventive care and broader prescription coverage, including closing the “doughnut hole” affecting seniors."

    Fact-Checking Romney: Does Health Reform Cut Medicare, Levy $500 Billion Tax? - ABC News
    The White House says Obama’s budget will flesh out his last offer to Boehner, which includes $400 billion in Medicare savings – but a lot of that is just industry payment cuts, so Republicans are likely to push for more changes to benefits.....snip~

    Yeah.....like Politico shows. Really!

  4. #64
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Here is what Politico has to say.............

    That doesn't refute the 3 main parts of the Simpson Bowles plan -

    ""The Social Security changes.*Simpson-Bowles makes three main changes to Social Security. It increases the taxable maximum on income to 90 percent of all income, which raises $238 billion over the next decade. It uses a different measure of inflation to slow cost-of-living adjustments. It raises the retirement age to 68 in 2050 and 69 in 2075."
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #65
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Instead of rolling back the CPI, if me, I would increase the age from the 62-67 time frame to 64-69 gradually much like the time when the age for maximum benefits was raised from 65-67. But the fact that the president has put SS on the table makes his budget worth looking at.


    Personally, I would like to see the president embrace Simpson/Bowles and go from there. But this is movement and that in itself is a plus
    That is what he is negotiating for, just as he stated in his acceptance speech after winning reelection. But you realize the Simpson Bowles plan for SS also includes a hefty increase in the cap for wealthy contributors.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That doesn't refute the 3 main parts of the Simpson Bowles plan -

    ""The Social Security changes.*Simpson-Bowles makes three main changes to Social Security. It increases the taxable maximum on income to 90 percent of all income, which raises $238 billion over the next decade. It uses a different measure of inflation to slow cost-of-living adjustments. It raises the retirement age to 68 in 2050 and 69 in 2075."
    But see that's just it.....with this OP and thread. They aren't talking about the 3 main parts of Simpson Bowles.

    Liberal think tanks like the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities have said it could work – if it includes help for the seniors who need it most, like an extra one-time increase after they’ve been getting benefits for 15 or 20 years. They also want to exempt Supplemental Security Income, a program that helps the low-income elderly and the disabled.....snip~

  7. #67
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post

    Well and throwing back half the 800 billion he took from Medicare would at least have to cause the House to look at it.....which they did and seeing that it would raise taxes on the elderly. It's not going anywhere.....in Obama's way.
    Its soooooo funny to hear conservatives saying they want more waste and fraud in the entitlement programs!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    But see that's just it.....with this OP and thread. They aren't talking about the 3 main parts of Simpson Bowles.

    Liberal think tanks like the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities have said it could work – if it includes help for the seniors who need it most, like an extra one-time increase after they’ve been getting benefits for 15 or 20 years. They also want to exempt Supplemental Security Income, a program that helps the low-income elderly and the disabled.....snip~
    What it does: Chained CPI would lower the cost-of-living adjustments for senior citizens who receive Social Security, veterans’ benefits, and other payments by switching to a different Consumer Price Index that grows more slowly.

    What it could save: $130 billion.

    How it works: The new measure assumes that people change their buying habits when things become more expensive, so they don’t need their benefits to rise as much every year. If they’re buying groceries, for example, and the price of steak is rising, they could buy chicken or fish instead.

    The pitfalls: Not everything works like buying groceries. Seniors tend to have more health care needs than therest of the population, and if their cancer treatment is getting more expensive, they have to go to their oncologist — they can’t get it from the CVS Minute Clinic.....snip~


    Since you have that tendency to not go back and read what has been said.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Its soooooo funny to hear conservatives saying they want more waste and fraud in the entitlement programs!
    What's really funny is hearing Liberals say they give a damn and care for the Poor and the middle class. Now that is some hilarious ****!

  10. #70
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    But see that's just it.....with this OP and thread. They aren't talking about the 3 main parts of Simpson Bowles.

    Liberal think tanks like the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities have said it could work – if it includes help for the seniors who need it most, like an extra one-time increase after they’ve been getting benefits for 15 or 20 years. They also want to exempt Supplemental Security Income, a program that helps the low-income elderly and the disabled.....snip~

    You don't know much about negotiations and compromise do you? We are at the very beginning of the negotiation process on SS.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •