Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 114

Thread: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

  1. #21
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and what are the chances congress will approve higher taxes for the rich in return for a reduction in the rate of increase of social security benefits
    about as likely for me to find a 4 leaf clover.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Looks Like Obama just got a bunch of Democrats highly upset with him. Here the Demos were running around talking about how Republicans wanted to go after Social Security. Which Ryan talked about but not in a way to tear down the Entitlement. Repubs were looking for the age to be pushed back due to people living longer and the advances in healthcare. Now who does this affect more? The Middle Class and Poor or the Rich? Who was talking about fairness? Thoughts?
    So let me get this straight. Republicans demand cuts to social security over and over again, and when Obama tries to get something done on a budget by giving into their demands for a compromise on raising taxes for more revenue the republicans blame him and try to paint him as the person who wants to destroy social security and not them? Oh wait, that is what they always do. It is called compromise, and it should be how things work. Oh, and also paying your oversized debt is painful all around. it should just be taken on more by the rich.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,400

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Unbelievable. I think it's wrong to take anything away from Social Security recipients -- including COLA adjustments to their meager average of something like $1200/month. This is huge, in my opinion. If the government wants to change SS, it should change it for those 45 years and younger to give those people a chance to do something about it. If his plan is only to effect those people, then it's not as bad.

    There is no doubt in my mind that we are going to eventually inflate ourselves out of the mess we're in. To take away (or minimize) COLAs to those currently receiving SS (or close to receiving it) is unconscionable.
    Before you get your panties all wadded up, remember that the House is going to have to close some tax loopholes too to make the deal on SS.
    Let see how commited they are to reducing the deficit. Somehow I don't think they really are.

  4. #24
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    So let me get this straight. Republicans demand cuts to social security over and over again, and when Obama tries to get something done on a budget by giving into their demands for a compromise on raising taxes for more revenue the republicans blame him and try to paint him as the person who wants to destroy social security and not them? Oh wait, that is what they always do. It is called compromise, and it should be how things work. Oh, and also paying your oversized debt is painful all around. it should just be taken on more by the rich.
    the president has proposed an idea that has NO chance of passing the senate, much less the house.

    what do we call this idea from the president?

    dead on arrival!!!

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    the president has proposed an idea that has NO chance of passing the senate, much less the house.

    what do we call this idea from the president?

    dead on arrival!!!
    I call it the paul ryan plan. Yeah, before you go making comments, at least this plan is supposed to compromise. It is not putting forth a get everything you ever wanted republican dream plan in some attempt to look like you actually did work. Oh, and the republicans have been caving a lot recently including caving the last time on tax increases. hey, maybe they will cave so that bucky the CPAC brat can get his white house visit that he was crying over a while back?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    So let me get this straight. Republicans demand cuts to social security over and over again, and when Obama tries to get something done on a budget by giving into their demands for a compromise on raising taxes for more revenue the republicans blame him and try to paint him as the person who wants to destroy social security and not them? Oh wait, that is what they always do. It is called compromise, and it should be how things work. Oh, and also paying your oversized debt is painful all around. it should just be taken on more by the rich.
    Sounds like you are upset that those Democrats are at odds with Obama.....the OP says nothing about the Republicans saying anything. Nor criticizing Obama on it. Try reading the link.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    I call it the paul ryan plan. Yeah, before you go making comments, at least this plan is supposed to compromise. It is not putting forth a get everything you ever wanted republican dream plan in some attempt to look like you actually did work. Oh, and the republicans have been caving a lot recently including caving the last time on tax increases. hey, maybe they will cave so that bucky the CPAC brat can get his white house visit that he was crying over a while back?
    Its Suppose to be a compromise plan.....yet Democrats are opposing it. Care to speak for them?

  8. #28
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,165

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Its Suppose to be a compromise plan.....yet Democrats are opposing it. Care to speak for them?
    why not instead wait and see how they - and the republicans - vote on this proposal
    let's actually see which party truly wants to resolve the nation's debt problem
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    why not instead wait and see how they - and the republicans - vote on this proposal
    let's actually see which party truly wants to resolve the nation's debt problem
    That's all we can do.....unless some Demos and Repubs start jumping in front of Camera.

  10. #30
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,165

    Re: Official: Obama Proposes Cuts to Social Security

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    That's all we can do.....unless some Demos and Repubs start jumping in front of Camera.
    good. i look forward to then discussing with you the outcome
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •