Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 245

Thread: Wussification of America

  1. #161
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    360

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    *snip*
    Cute pic.

    On point though, I didn't say you came up with the word, I merely pointed out how ridiculous it makes one look to even use such a word.

    More on point, I don't have to debunk so thoroughly stupid an idea as "Political correctness causes divorces and fatness."

    Such an idea is so laughable on it's face, I'm surprised you're not more ashamed for raising it to begin with.

  2. #162
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by babilfish View Post
    Cute pic.

    On point though, I didn't say you came up with the word, I merely pointed out how ridiculous it makes one look to even use such a word.

    More on point, I don't have to debunk so thoroughly stupid an idea as "Political correctness causes divorces and fatness."

    Such an idea is so laughable on it's face, I'm surprised you're not more ashamed for raising it to begin with.
    The cute boy in the picture likely has better reading skills than you if you think I said political correctness causes fatness.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  3. #163
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    360

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    ...if you think I said political correctness causes fatness...
    The funny thing is, you did.

    You actually argued that political correctness, which you characterize in this case as not being blunt or forthcoming with children but instead mollycoddling them, has some nebulous link to rising divorce rates, children being born out-of-wedlock, and obesity.

    It's such a laughable, stupid thing. It's so stupid, so absolutely devoid of any shred of intellectual content, I'm still stunned someone would make such an argument and then not immediately retract it once further reflection on it revealed to them how embarrassingly stupid it really was.

  4. #164
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by babilfish View Post
    The funny thing is, you did.

    You actually argued that political correctness, which you characterize in this case as not being blunt or forthcoming with children but instead mollycoddling them, has some nebulous link to rising divorce rates, children being born out-of-wedlock, and obesity.

    It's such a laughable, stupid thing. It's so stupid, so absolutely devoid of any shred of intellectual content, I'm still stunned someone would make such an argument and then not immediately retract it once further reflection on it revealed to them how embarrassingly stupid it really was.
    You sedem have it backwards. One of the causes could very well be the divorce rate and single-mom households, which is why children get coddled and pampered, and not taught the realities of life, and how to deal with the normal stress of living. Kids need stability which can be supplied with two differing parental types. The mother figure to nurture and meet specific needs, and a father figure to teach the child how to deal with life as it is, and not how the child wishes it to be.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #165
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You sedem have it backwards. One of the causes could very well be the divorce rate and single-mom households, which is why children get coddled and pampered, and not taught the realities of life, and how to deal with the normal stress of living. Kids need stability which can be supplied with two differing parental types. The mother figure to nurture and meet specific needs, and a father figure to teach the child how to deal with life as it is, and not how the child wishes it to be.
    I just don't buy that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    The cute boy in the picture likely has better reading skills than you if you think I said political correctness causes fatness.
    Another conservative losing another argument and reduced to whining.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You sedem have it backwards. One of the causes could very well be the divorce rate and single-mom households, which is why children get coddled and pampered, and not taught the realities of life, and how to deal with the normal stress of living. Kids need stability which can be supplied with two differing parental types. The mother figure to nurture and meet specific needs, and a father figure to teach the child how to deal with life as it is, and not how the child wishes it to be.
    Rightwing pop psychology always ends up in some kid getting punished. I wonder why that is?

  8. #168
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    You are advocating accepting victimhood because, as you see it, exercising an alternative would be worse.

    You and several others here show a distinct lack of imagination in problem solving skills.
    It's not an imagination. It's not accepting victimhood, either. Again, where are you getting this idea? There are NCAA guidelines they are expected to adhere to as representatives of their school, athletics, and themselves. I'm also not saying exercising any alternative would be worse, just the one about retaliation against the coach. In the rational self interest of the individual, who is at school, attempting to play collegiate basketball presumably on a scholarship and whose only way to pay for school may be basketball, it would not do him well to throw one punch at a coach. That would all but damn him entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #169
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    I agree with Bolling's point yesterday about Americans becoming wussies and political correctness being a major source.
    Fortunately we have conservatives to show us all how to be rough and tough assholes. present company excluded of course.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,646

    Re: Wussification of America

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    It's not an imagination. It's not accepting victimhood, either. Again, where are you getting this idea? There are NCAA guidelines they are expected to adhere to as representatives of their school, athletics, and themselves. I'm also not saying exercising any alternative would be worse, just the one about retaliation against the coach. In the rational self interest of the individual, who is at school, attempting to play collegiate basketball presumably on a scholarship and whose only way to pay for school may be basketball, it would not do him well to throw one punch at a coach. That would all but damn him entirely.
    I already said that throwing a punch would be stupid but that's not the only way to retaliate.

    In such a situation your ultimate goal is to get the threatening behavior to stop and to stay stopped. You, as the student athlete, have a set of guidelines you need to adhere to or else you're going to screw yourself so what you need to do is figure out a way to accomplish your goal without putting yourself in jeopardy. Strangely enough ones ability to do that coincides EXACTLY with being successful at your sport.

    Be resourceful.
    Be adaptive.
    Be assertive.
    Stick to your goal.
    Win.

    If you keep on playing his game on his terms you will never accomplish your goal.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •