Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    well, to be fair, the cultures and fauna of tatooine clearly takes it's inspiration from from arab culture and the ME environment. But this is a pretty common device, with everything from Dune, star trek, LOTR, and even the Song of ice and fire (the mongols clearly serve as the inspiration for the Dothraki)

    But anyone taking issue with it is rather laughable
    Does this mean the Klingons will be taken out of Star Trek?

  2. #32
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Does this mean the Klingons will be taken out of Star Trek?
    I knew there was a reason that Kirk screwed every alien race in the galaxy BUT klingons.

  3. #33
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    I knew there was a reason that Kirk screwed every alien race in the galaxy BUT klingons.
    Actually that's because both of their heads look the same.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  4. #34
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,965

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Most of the desert cultures in Star Wars and other sci-fi epics are based on Middle Eastern cultures. Even the architecture is pretty much the same. Hollywood has a knack for appropriating other cultures for its own uses, and Star Wars originates from an era where Hollywood cared a lot less about being PC.

  5. #35
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=6146

    As a Lego hobbyist and reseller, I completely believe the `spin` coming from the Lego group. Items from licensed lines (star wars, Harry Potter, Toy Story...) Almost never stay on the shelves for more than two years. Most of them are only available for 8-14 months.

    There is no news here...

  6. #36
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Most of the desert cultures in Star Wars and other sci-fi epics are based on Middle Eastern cultures. Even the architecture is pretty much the same. Hollywood has a knack for appropriating other cultures for its own uses, and Star Wars originates from an era where Hollywood cared a lot less about being PC.

    Can't exactly build a cape-cod in the middle of the desert..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #37
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Can't exactly build a cape-cod in the middle of the desert..


    Tim-
    igloos, mate. Equal representation, and all

  8. #38
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    he drew so many parallels between the republicans and the empire it took me way out of the movies.
    I don't think the problem here is George Lucas....
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  9. #39
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    #yessomepeoplehavenolives



    You've got to be F$*%()ing Kidding Me. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Its bull****.... the coverage on this has been .... pathetic to say the least.. lead by American rightwing rags....

    LEGO.com About Us Reaction to criticism of LEGO Star Wars product:

    The LEGO Group regrets that the product has caused the members of the Turkish cultural community to interprete it wrongly, but point out that the design of the product only refers to the fictional content of the Star WarsTM saga.

    A few media have reported that the product is being discontinued due to the mentioned criticism. This is, however, not correct.
    So basically Lego did not pull the product, it was discontinued and would have been discontinued regardless if there was criticism or not. Also Lego never appologized and in fact blamed the morons in Turkey for their miss-interpretation of Star Wars.
    PeteEU

  10. #40
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Report: Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Its bull****.... the coverage on this has been .... pathetic to say the least.. lead by American rightwing rags....

    LEGO.com About Us Reaction to criticism of LEGO Star Wars product:



    So basically Lego did not pull the product, it was discontinued and would have been discontinued regardless if there was criticism or not. Also Lego never appologized and in fact blamed the morons in Turkey for their miss-interpretation of Star Wars.
    There was a lawsuit in Turkey about Game of Thrones (As the Dothraki seem a little Turkic) so this hardly surprising from certain quarters. As much as I loved my stay in the country many seemed to have been raised with a persecution complex.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •