Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 164

Thread: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam[W: 143]

  1. #41
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Based on what?.... the fact that Adam Lanza took a Basic Pistol course taught by an NRA instructor? I've taught that class myself. Are all of the people whose certificates I've signed to be expected to commit gun crimes? OR are you suggesting that the NRA should background check everyone before they're allowed to register for a course?
    good point-its like blaming the driving instructor who taught Larry Mahoney how to drive for the mass deaths here

    Carrollton, Kentucky bus collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Distraction crazy. So no one really is denying Adam was a member of the NRA except for the NRA. That is the part I find disturbing about the NRA. The NRA could have stepped up and confronted the idea that giving your obviously crazy kid a gun and training him how to shoot was a bad idea. instead they champion it as a discipline building activity that would help troubled young kids. I am not terribly shocked adam and his mother were members of the NRA, and I certainly do not buy the NRA doesn't have any record of him. I am sure they have burned any records they had of him, but I am under no delusion that he was not a member. Anyone can be a member of the NRA even those without guns.

    I am not even bothered by the membership. All you need is an application to be a member. The NRA doesn't refuse money. I don't even expect them to. What I do think they should do is to represent the dangers of letting a clear psychotic play with a gun. Adam was not a functional psychotic who slipped through the system and snapped. he wass a kid with legitimate psychotic issues who could not function in society. This was not some guy with some unpopular opinions, this was a guy who was clearly nuts. He was kept in his house by his own fear of the world and his mother's knowledge he could not exist on his own because of his crazy. That family had enough money to set him up in his own place and let him live the life of a functional crazy. They did not because they knew he was a psycho.

    The NRA could have encouraged some way to keep really insane people from having guns. They could have helped gun sellers to make responsible decisions about selling to obviously mentally ill people. The NRA could have told it's members that even though gun discipline may help out some individuals with discipline problems, it should not be attempted with clearly psychotic people. But instead they encouraged giving guns to crazies. they encouraged loopholes and loose selling procedures. They encourage people to introduce unstable people to firearms for the sake of helping them. That is what is disgusting about the NRA, not that they happened to take a membership application from someone they could not have known was a crazy nut because his mother was sheltering the world from that reality as best as she could. From everything that has been said about Adam he exibited uncontrolled noticeable crazy. Yet no one in the gun community, despite being creeped out, did a thing about a clearly crazy kid playing with guns. really, the NRA should be leading the cause for legal gun owners to point out criminal and unsafe gun use. When they don't it shows that anything they say about being concerned with safety becomes hot air.
    The only way for the NRA to have known would be to invade the people's privacy. Is that REALLY the power you want for the NRA? I don't think so.

    It's quite clear that the NRA is NOT to blame for this, the person doing the shooting is.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Tererun, one does not need to be an NRA member to attend most NRA classes. The Basic Pistol classes I taught were open to anyone over 18 years old. It's an 8 hour class with generally less than half the class being range work. It's a basic safety and operation class, nothing more.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Based on what?.... the fact that Adam Lanza took a Basic Pistol course taught by an NRA instructor? I've taught that class myself. Are all of the people whose certificates I've signed to be expected to commit gun crimes? OR are you suggesting that the NRA should background check everyone before they're allowed to register for a course?
    I don't think the main issue is Lanza attended a cattle call course, but that the NRA denied any connection with him.

    The school I worked for does backround checks on all students, many schools do. the students are recorded in a data base as well. The school offers to testify in court if any student has a shooting as to their training, scores and skills. I don't think NRA Instructors do the same.

    I've always been leery of courses that accept students the day of a course. I personally have seen the NRA and the Appleseed Project do just that.

    I love Manc's point- until he shot and murdered 20 kids he was considered sane, it isn't until AFTER he commits mass murder everyone agrees he is a freakin' nut.

  5. #45
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,436

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post

    I love Manc's point- until he shot and murdered 20 kids he was considered sane, it isn't until AFTER he commits mass murder everyone agrees he is a freakin' nut.
    Which is why none of this knee-jerk push for current new laws is right.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The only way for the NRA to have known would be to invade the people's privacy. Is that REALLY the power you want for the NRA? I don't think so.

    It's quite clear that the NRA is NOT to blame for this, the person doing the shooting is.
    Did I say the NRA should be invading the privacy of their prospective members? no, I did not. What I did say is that they should have been at the front of the issue regarding letting the clearly mentally unstable people like Adam anywhere near a gun. It is a safety issue. you don't point your gun at people unless you are planning on shooting them, and you don't let the crazy kid play with one. The NRA should be the leader in expressing basic safety. I don't really care if they want to take money from the crazies to further their cause, nor do I expect them to refuse it, or investigate their members. Your membership card to the NRA is not going to kill anyone, so I don't care if the looniest person has one.

  7. #47
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’s Ho

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    NRA Certificate and



    The sickness that is the NRA continues to be exposed.
    (Eye roll)...I don't think you or any left wing nut understands that you can purchase their material. That isn't a "relationship." That is consumerism.

    I've had extensive pistol training, read NRA magazines, and generally been involved in gun culture. I've never hosed down an elementary school with .223 rifle fire. On that alone I think it is time you sit down and be quiet.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #48
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’s Ho

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I don't think the main issue is Lanza attended a cattle call course, but that the NRA denied any connection with him.

    The school I worked for does backround checks on all students, many schools do. the students are recorded in a data base as well. The school offers to testify in court if any student has a shooting as to their training, scores and skills. I don't think NRA Instructors do the same.

    I've always been leery of courses that accept students the day of a course. I personally have seen the NRA and the Appleseed Project do just that.

    I love Manc's point- until he shot and murdered 20 kids he was considered sane, it isn't until AFTER he commits mass murder everyone agrees he is a freakin' nut.
    What do you expect the NRA to do? They were founded to increase marksmanship for the masses. Create a better federal army. It is a private organization. Do you plan to legislate how they should practice? Background checks for safety courses?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Did I say the NRA should be invading the privacy of their prospective members? no, I did not. What I did say is that they should have been at the front of the issue regarding letting the clearly mentally unstable people like Adam anywhere near a gun. It is a safety issue. you don't point your gun at people unless you are planning on shooting them, and you don't let the crazy kid play with one. The NRA should be the leader in expressing basic safety. I don't really care if they want to take money from the crazies to further their cause, nor do I expect them to refuse it, or investigate their members. Your membership card to the NRA is not going to kill anyone, so I don't care if the looniest person has one.

    NRA instructors do not have the magical ability to look at a person applying for training and certify that he is insane. Possibly you're aware that it typically requires a psychiatrist many hours of analysis to determine whether a person is insane and/or dangerous.

    The NRA has been at the forefront of safety issues... that's why they offer so much training. They offer the "Eddie Eagle" gun safety course to schools, to help children understand the dangers of playing with guns, and where it has been used it has been very successful... but many schools refuse the program because of prejudice against the NRA.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #50
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: NRA Certificate and “Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting” Found in Adam Lanza’

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Did I say the NRA should be invading the privacy of their prospective members? no, I did not. What I did say is that they should have been at the front of the issue regarding letting the clearly mentally unstable people like Adam anywhere near a gun. It is a safety issue. you don't point your gun at people unless you are planning on shooting them, and you don't let the crazy kid play with one. The NRA should be the leader in expressing basic safety. I don't really care if they want to take money from the crazies to further their cause, nor do I expect them to refuse it, or investigate their members. Your membership card to the NRA is not going to kill anyone, so I don't care if the looniest person has one.
    Well, they are in front of the issue, your ardent gun control supporters however are more focused on scary looking rifle and magazine bans. Wayne LaPierre has often stated that NRA fully supports incorporating mental health information into the background check process.

    And as far as this, if Lanza spent more time with average NRA members, he probably would never have committed this act as the vast majority of NRA members are very safety conscious.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •