Page 96 of 123 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #951
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,304

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Of course it matters. Without a source, it is a meaningless claim.
    I gave 2 sources ... but my question was if a source to some people would just be something to take comfort in denying when ThinkProgress says so.

  2. #952
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Need more ?

    http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/categor...%20Fiction.pdf

    "Within less than a month after Schumm (2010) was published, Gartrell, Bos, and Goldberg (2011) published a report online in which children, especially daughters, of lesbian mothers reported high levels of nonheterosexual sexual orientation and same-sex sexual contact..."

    ...But you'll need to check with ThinkProgress before forming an opinion.
    Schumm based his research on 10 commercial books, picked not at random. In other words, it is bull****.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #953
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,304

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wrong. He claims that. He does not admit it. It is not entirely true.
    How can a small selective sample of an inherently small sample be enough to determine if a policy change would be harmless?

  4. #954
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I gave 2 sources ... but my question was if a source to some people would just be something to take comfort in denying when ThinkProgress says so.
    Both sources are flawed. Those sources have been used in the past here, we went over them, found major problems with them. If you want to present data, already discounted poorly done studies is not the best way to do it.

    And by the way, I do not read ThinkProgress, so you will have to try a new tactic.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #955
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    How can a small selective sample of an inherently small sample be enough to determine if a policy change would be harmless?
    You might want to ask pollsters how they can do it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #956
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,304

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The Regnerus study does not look at same sex parenting. It looks at outcomes of children in 2 parent intact homes, vs the outcomes of children who at least one parent had a same sex sexual encounter. For this reason alone, it is fatally flawed.
    So your point, then, is that if both parents were clearly & behaviorally the same sex, then the children would show no homosexual tendencies beyond what you'd expect?

    The study expanded the sample universe ... it didn't skew it.

    Studies that allow it's sample to define itself are problems and that's what you've been fed.

  7. #957
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,333
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    So your point, then, is that if both parents were clearly & behaviorally the same sex, then the children would show no homosexual tendencies beyond what you'd expect?

    The study expanded the sample universe ... it didn't skew it.

    Studies that allow it's sample to define itself are problems and that's what you've been fed.
    No, you are now making **** up. My point is simply and completely that the Regnurus study and the Schumm study are fatally flawed for reasons mentioned.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #958
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    If marriage is a Civil Right who would you exclude?
    While I cannot speak for anyone else,(wish more people on this forum felt that way) it's not my place to exclude.Nor do I have the power to do so.
    And neither do you.
    But if you ask me what my opinion is,I'd say children,plant's,and animals.

    Here's a "what-if" scenerio.
    What if we discover a sentient alien race and a member of their race,and a member of our race wanted to get married,(even though by external appearances look similar) would you try to prevent it?
    If we were living in the Star Trek Universe,would you object to the marriage of the Vulcan named Sarek and the human named Amanda Grayson?
    Lil' Spock's fate is dependent on the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Marriage has always meant man + woman.
    So what?Words can,have, and do change since humans started using words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Why would only gays get the special civil right to change the definition to fit what they want,and not anyone else?
    And are you saying that gays shouldn't have the right to at least try to change it?
    Just asking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Is the US a Republic where each state can decide what marriage is because marriage isn't in The Constitution, or is this country ruled by 9 lawyers in black robes with an iron fist?
    Well,it sure isn't a theocracy,I can tell you that much.
    Since I am in an interracial marriage,me and my wife are kind of glad the SCOTUS interfered when it did.

    Look,I believe in states rights like any good Republican should.
    But up to a point.
    I don't want the states to determine that my marriage to a white woman isn't valid any more.
    Eventually,even if SCOTUS doesn't interfere,I believe all 50 states will eventually allow SSM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Gay Marriage is not a civil right
    That's your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

    Do you believe Gay Marriage a Civil Right?
    Of course I do.
    I don't know about YOUR marriage (are you even married?) but me and Selena (and me and my late first wife Allison before her) had to go to City Hall,fill out some paper work,pay a fee,and get a marriage license before we could even get to the marriage ceremony.
    Me and my wife file joint tax returns to the government.
    So yeah,I think gay marriage is a civil right.

  9. #959
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,304

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You might want to ask pollsters how they can do it.
    You don't understand. When the universe is small to begin with you can't let the chosen sample from that universe select itself and that's what had been done.

    If you at least read the beginning of Regnerus he explains what had been going on ... he gives examples, and it should be obvious on it's face without needing an explanation...

    ... The NLLFS employs a convenience sample, recruited entirely by self-selection from announcements posted ‘‘at lesbian events, in women’s bookstores, and in les-bian newspapers’’ in Boston, Washington, and San Francisco. While I do not wish to downplay the significance of such alongitudinal study—it is itself quite a feat—this sampling approach is a problem when the goal (or in this case, the practicalresult and conventional use of its findings) is to generalize to a population. All such samples are biased, often in unknownways. As a formal sampling method, ‘‘snowball sampling is known to have some serious problems,’’ one expert asserts (Snij-ders, 1992,p. 59). Indeed, such samples are likely biased toward ‘‘inclusion of those who have many interrelationships with,or are coupled to, a large number of other individuals’’ (Berg, 1988, p. 531). But apart from the knowledge of individuals’inclusion probability, unbiased estimation is not possible. ...

  10. #960
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    here we go again ... father / son?
    Honestly, why not? Give me one good reason, outside of tradition and your personal "ick" factor, that's unreasonable.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 96 of 123 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •