Page 82 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #811
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post


    2.) “Marriage” is a GENDER SPECIFIC version of a legal CIVIL CONTRACT. Gender specification is legal (e.g. gender-specific bathrooms, contract designations, maternity leave applications, college entrance forms, etc…). A civil contract should be extended to ALL people. However, by opening “marriage” and calling every union “marriage,” it opens the contract up to polygamists, incestuous relations, and anyone else.
    Slipperly slope argument is a logical fallacy and irrelevant.

    ....
    Without being slippery, explain how & why that slippery slope argument is illogical and irrelevant and does not apply.

  2. #812
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good morning, bubba.

    Enjoyed your cartoon! It will be interesting to see the ruling on this, for all concerned!
    hey Pol. how's the weather out there. finally warming up huh.

  3. #813
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    hey Pol. how's the weather out there. finally warming up huh.

    Weather is slowly improving, but we still have a cold North wind. Brrrr! I'm ready any time Mother Nature decides Spring is here, and acts accordingly...we did get sufficient snow cover this year... sarcasm intended...so I hope gardening is more productive than it was last year, when it was way too dry and hot, which stressed not only me, but everything that was trying to grow! :

  4. #814
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I'm afraid the affect on adopted young children of gay parents would NOT be considerably less/reduced relative to a traditional married couple.
    you might be afraid ... but that doesn't make it reality.

    if you are genuinely so concerned about children, you would be aware that


    Children are suffering from a hidden epidemic of child abuse and neglect. Every year 3.3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States involving nearly 6 million children (a report can include multiple children). The United States has the worst record in the industrialized nation – losing five children every day due to abuse-related deaths.
    National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

    you would also be aware that risk factors for child abuse include:

    - parents being unemployed
    - large households (four or more children)
    - low socio-economic status families
    - low level of parental education
    - teenage or very young parents

    none of which tend to apply to gay couples, who are more likely to be financially secure and to plan parenthood (exceptions would be those who have children from previous relationships), have fewer children, higher education levels and are far less likely to be teenagers/very young parents.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  5. #815
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Weather is slowly improving, but we still have a cold North wind. Brrrr! I'm ready any time Mother Nature decides Spring is here, and acts accordingly...we did get sufficient snow cover this year... sarcasm intended...so I hope gardening is more productive than it was last year, when it was way too dry and hot, which stressed not only me, but everything that was trying to grow! :
    Remember our discussions about a certain nursery? The story goes on. PM to follow..

  6. #816
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    you might be afraid ... but that doesn't make it reality.

    if you are genuinely so concerned about children, you would be aware that

    ...

    you would also be aware that risk factors for child abuse include:

    - parents being unemployed
    - large households (four or more children)
    - low socio-economic status families
    - low level of parental education
    - teenage or very young parents

    none of which tend to apply to gay couples,
    who are more likely to be financially secure and to plan parenthood (exceptions would be those who have children from previous relationships), have fewer children, higher education levels and are far less likely to be teenagers/very young parents.
    The data just isn't there.

    Explain how you get valid data by a sample that is a fraction of less than 2% of the population. Note ... I said a fraction of less than 2% ... The SAMPLE is not 2 %. The BASE is less than 2% ... the sample is much less.

  7. #817
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    The data just isn't there.

    Explain how you get valid data by a sample that is a fraction of less than 2% of the population. Note ... I said a fraction of less than 2% ... The SAMPLE is not 2 %. The BASE is less than 2% ... the sample is much less.
    what are you talking about?
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  8. #818
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    what are you talking about?
    Talking about the effect on kids.
    Citing data from "findings" or "surveys" with such a tiny sample.
    What if there was data showing that the incidence of homosexuality among children raised by SS parents was higher than those raised by straight parents?
    What would that tell you? Anything?

  9. #819
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Talking about the effect on kids.
    Citing data from "findings" or "surveys" with such a tiny sample.
    What if there was data showing that the incidence of homosexuality among children raised by SS parents was higher than those raised by straight parents?
    What would that tell you? Anything?
    which survey are you talking about?
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  10. #820
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    which survey are you talking about?
    It was a question. What if there was data showing it. Would that affect your opinion in any way?

Page 82 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •