Page 68 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #671
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    You and others need to get one thing through your heads. If you repeatedly call people racists and homophobes for BS reasons, all you're going to accomplish is making them sick as hell of false accusations and give them a legitimate reason to hate.
    You're defending people who compare gay people to serial killers and murderers, yet when we call them homophobes, it's clearly BS? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #672
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Don't confuse pity for hate, just like serial killers I wish we could cure their strange desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You're defending people who compare gay people to serial killers and murderers, yet when we call them homophobes, it's clearly BS? Seriously?
    Read it again, buddy! He's saying serial killers and homosexuals have the similarity of being misguided by their own minds and he'd like to see them both corrected and thinking straight, quite literally for the latter. Several of you are getting your panties in a bunch as if he said packing fudge was equivalent to killing 20 people.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  3. #673
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Read it again, buddy! He's saying serial killers and homosexuals have the similarity of being misguided by their own minds and he'd like to see them both corrected and thinking straight, quite literally for the latter. Several of you are getting your panties in a bunch as if he said packing fudge was equivalent to killing 20 people.
    He's lumping them into the same category, as if there's even anything remotely similar about them. He made the comparison to be theatrical. Are you really surprised or shocked that people tend to think he just might be a homophobe?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #674
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    He's lumping them into the same category, as if there's even anything remotely similar about them. He made the comparison to be theatrical. Are you really surprised or shocked that people tend to think he just might be a homophobe?
    He has the opinion, like mine, that homosexuals have a wire out of place in their heads. I think you'll agree that serial killers have issues mentally, even if it's just not having a conscience. Perhaps a course in set theory would help you all. As I've just defined the homos and killers above, they are both subsets of the set of people who have an issue with their brain. Do you get all upset that the term criminal includes rapists and a mother stealing food to feed her kids?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  5. #675
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    He has the opinion, like mine, that homosexuals have a wire out of place in their heads. I think you'll agree that serial killers have issues mentally, even if it's just not having a conscience. Perhaps a course in set theory would help you all. As I've just defined the homos and killers above, they are both subsets of the set of people who have an issue with their brain. Do you get all upset that the term criminal includes rapists and a mother stealing food to feed her kids?
    I'm not upset. Why are you getting butt hurt when you or your buddy get called a homophobe? We are of the opinion that people like you have a wire out of place in your heads.

    If you don't want to be called a duck, don't quack like one.

    And let's say, for argument's sake, they did have a "wire out of place in their heads". Why does that give you the power and right to define their ability to make a marriage commitment?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #676
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Interesting topic for sure, as commenters who seldom agree on any controversial topic partner with those who are usually opponents in support of human rights.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #677
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm not upset. Why are you getting butt hurt when you or your buddy get called a homophobe? We are of the opinion that people like you have a wire out of place in your heads.

    If you don't want to be called a duck, don't quack like one.

    And let's say, for argument's sake, they did have a "wire out of place in their heads". Why does that give you the power and right to define their ability to make a marriage commitment?
    Go ask a doctor or psychologist why we're naturally attracted to the opposite sex. I'll bet you $10 that they discuss hormones and chemicals in the body which are there to designed to guide organisms to procreate, instead of a negative response implying that we're not.

    They can give their partner a promise ring representing their commitment, for all I care. One of the main reasons federal government recognizes marriage is to help those creating families, i.e. the next generation of Americans. Since a same sex pair can not have kids together, they don't need such benefits.

    Just like how the government printing money devalues the cash you have while not physically touching it, letting people define marriage however in the heck they want devalues and disgraces marriage.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  8. #678
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,785

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Go ask a doctor or psychologist why we're naturally attracted to the opposite sex. I'll bet you $10 that they discuss hormones and chemicals in the body which are there to designed to guide organisms to procreate, instead of a negative response implying that we're not.
    For the chemical/hormone reactions to provide the response you claim is the only "natural' one, the genetic makeup of the individuals has to provide the proper receptors within the brain. As same sex attractions are found across the spectrum of living beings, it does appear that some beings are born with slightly different hormone receptors in their neural systems.

    They can give their partner a promise ring representing their commitment, for all I care. One of the main reasons federal government recognizes marriage is to help those creating families, i.e. the next generation of Americans. Since a same sex pair can not have kids together, they don't need such benefits.
    As a conservative, I'm sure that you are against abortions - so what is to be done with those unwanted children once they are born alive? Disagree all you want but research and reality show that same sex couples can provide excellent home environments for children

    Just like how the government printing money devalues the cash you have while not physically touching it, letting people define marriage however in the heck they want devalues and disgraces marriage.
    Yeah, funny that. For some reason, the US dollar has not experienced the calamitous crash the austerians have been trumpeting was the sure result of all that excess cash being printed.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #679
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Go ask a doctor or psychologist why we're naturally attracted to the opposite sex. I'll bet you $10 that they discuss hormones and chemicals in the body which are there to designed to guide organisms to procreate, instead of a negative response implying that we're not.
    Hormones are not designed. They evolved through random mutation and natural pressure. Furthermore, homosexual behavior exists in nature, so attraction to the same sex is "natural" by definition. Furthermore, your "we're" is not all inclusive, since roughtly somewhere between 2 and 10 % of the population is not naturally attracted to the opposite sex. Lastly, differences are not an indicator of health issues, but of diversity.

    I can recommend some science and biology texts for you if you would like. Got some great recommendations for books on evolutionary theory too.

    They can give their partner a promise ring representing their commitment, for all I care. One of the main reasons federal government recognizes marriage is to help those creating families, i.e. the next generation of Americans. Since a same sex pair can not have kids together, they don't need such benefits.
    Who says they cannot have kids together? Several methods for same sex couples to have kids, including artificial insemination, surrogates, kids from prior relationships, and so on.

    Just like how the government printing money devalues the cash you have while not physically touching it, letting people define marriage however in the heck they want devalues and disgraces marriage.
    You do not need SSM to devalue and disgrace marriage. Straight people did a good enough job of that already. Divorce, infidelity, marriages of convenience...and you are worried about gays?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #680
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Go ask a doctor or psychologist why we're naturally attracted to the opposite sex. I'll bet you $10 that they discuss hormones and chemicals in the body which are there to designed to guide organisms to procreate, instead of a negative response implying that we're not.
    Of course, and their natural body chemicals and or other psychological reasons are responsible for their own sexual attractions. Something in your brain is wired to love math. Someone else's brain may be more wired towards the arts. Just because you love math doesn't mean everyone who's into other things has bad wiring or is an abomination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    They can give their partner a promise ring representing their commitment, for all I care. One of the main reasons federal government recognizes marriage is to help those creating families, i.e. the next generation of Americans. Since a same sex pair can not have kids together, they don't need such benefits.
    You do realize that marriage far pre-dated our government, right? Second, that's positively not the reason. According to your logic, we should deny marriage rights to infertile citizens, or citizens who have zero desire to have children. Seeing as how marriage solely exists to facilitate baby-making.

    Also, Somerville brought up a good point. You're against abortions. Homosexuals adopt a very large number of children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Just like how the government printing money devalues the cash you have while not physically touching it, letting people define marriage however in the heck they want devalues and disgraces marriage.
    Aha, and there we come down to the REAL reason behind your views. You feel that your marriage is devalued and disgraced based on someone else's actions. I have to say, if that's truly the case, you seriously shouldn't be on internet forums, and should instead be spending this time pulling your marriage out of the gutter.

    You seem to be one of the types of conversatives who believe: "government should stay out of people's business, unless they're pushing my jesus values, in which case they have the right to dictate everything."
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •