Page 53 of 123 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1229

Thread: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

  1. #521
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post

    So you name 3 religions to prove your point how homophobia isn't a predominantly religious concept? How many atheists did you meet in africa?
    If it's across three separate religions then it seems unlikely that any particular religious tradition is to blame. More than likely it's something deeper than religion, like culture.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #522
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Except that most human societies have granted marriage as a right to heterosexual couples. They invented that right. Since that right now exists, denying it to some members of a society because they do not fit into the same mold is purely discriminatory. So yes, a right is being deprived.
    I can guarantee most of these religious fanatics would lose their **** if the government banned all marriage. They would declare it their right to do so. Yet they so willingly deprive other human beings the very same right. I find it disgusting and I'm glad these people are more and more having to hang their heads in shame for what they believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #523
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    If it's across three separate religions then it seems unlikely that any particular religious tradition is to blame. More than likely it's something deeper than religion, like culture.
    Culture invented religion. I personally don't give a **** what they believe as long as they don't try to make the government enforce their religious beliefs. Calling themselves libertarians in the process is even more insulting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You asked me how a homophobe libertarian might reason it out. I told you. I don't have to invest anything at all in the quality of the imaginary libertarian homophobe's reasoning. You need to understand your own question before criticizing the answer.
    There's nothing wrong with a homophobe libertarian. That's simply a libertarian that's afraid of homosexuals. However, a libertarian that wants the government to nullify contracts between other citizens isn't a libertarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,276

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    God ****ing dammit. Stop calling him a libertarian. You ****ing know god damn well that he isn't one. I really expected better from you.

    Gay hating is far, far more a conservative position than it will ever be a libertarian position.
    By definition a libertarian must be opposed to government manipulation of sexual behavior.
    Did you see that blacks polled heavily against gay marriage ... then Obama "evolved" into support for gay marriage ... now blacks poll heavily in favor gay marriage.
    What're they called ... Sheepists?

  5. #525
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Culture invented religion. I personally don't give a **** what they believe as long as they don't try to make the government enforce their religious beliefs. Calling themselves libertarians in the process is even more insulting.
    And evolutionary biology quite possibly gave rise to culture. Since the evolutionary biology case against homosexuality is pretty easy to make, you may want to step back from the attack on religion, and just focus on the positive equal rights argument.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #526
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    God ****ing dammit. Stop calling him a libertarian. You ****ing know god damn well that he isn't one. I really expected better from you.

    Gay hating is far, far more a conservative position than it will ever be a libertarian position. By definition a libertarian must be opposed to government manipulation of sexual behavior.
    I would think by definition Libertarians would be opposed to government programs forcing people to think or act a certain way under threat of being sued for discrimination. I guess Libertarians only believe in certain limited politically correct liberties these days. Either way, it is a political issue not a Constitutional one.

  7. #527
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    And evolutionary biology quite possibly gave rise to culture. Since the evolutionary biology case against homosexuality is pretty easy to make, you may want to step back from the attack on religion, and just focus on the positive equal rights argument.
    There is no anti-gay evolutionary biology argument. As I stated before, homosexuality is rampant in the animal kingdom, and I'm not aware of any documented cases of hate crimes against gays committed by animals.

    Gay-hate is a completely fabricated concept, there's nothing natural about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Did you see that blacks polled heavily against gay marriage ... then Obama "evolved" into support for gay marriage ... now blacks poll heavily in favor gay marriage.
    What're they called ... Sheepists?
    I call them inconsistent, and I could give a **** less what they think. In a republic the majority can not vote away the rights of the minority. All citizens should be treated equal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I would think by definition Libertarians would be opposed to government programs forcing people to think or act a certain way under threat of being sued for discrimination. I guess Libertarians only believe in certain limited politically correct liberties these days. Either way, it is a political issue not a Constitutional one.
    Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

    As of now, the government is nullifying marriage contracts between homosexuals, calling them invalid. What, did you think the gay rights movement was going to force your local church to perform gay marriage ceremonies? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #528
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    There is no anti-gay evolutionary biology argument. As I stated before, homosexuality is rampant in the animal kingdom, and I'm not aware of any documented cases of hate crimes against gays committed by animals.

    Gay-hate is a completely fabricated concept, there's nothing natural about it.
    I didn't say anything about gay hate, and I won't even dispute your assertion that homosexuality is rampant in the animal kingdom (although I suspect the evidence is thin). Fact is that both are irrelevant to the point I made. It is fundamental to evolutionary biology that we are mere delivery systems for our DNA, delivering it into the next generation. Given its reproductive limitations, homosexuality is not a trait that could be "selected for" in evolutionary biology terms. It is no great leap from there to the possibility that discernible homosexual traits might not be found attractive in the context of evolutionary biology.

    These are in fact limitations from which we as human beings are freeing ourselves. I don't think it's coincidence that the issue of gay rights has come to the fore during the same era that heterosexual sex has been decoupled (!) from procreation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #529
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,801

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I didn't say anything about gay hate, and I won't even dispute your assertion that homosexuality is rampant in the animal kingdom (although I suspect the evidence is thin). Fact is that both are irrelevant to the point I made. It is fundamental to evolutionary biology that we are mere delivery systems for our DNA, delivering it into the next generation. Given its reproductive limitations, homosexuality is not a trait that could be "selected for" in evolutionary biology terms. It is no great leap from there to the possibility that discernible homosexual traits might not be found attractive in the context of evolutionary biology.

    These are in fact limitations from which we as human beings are freeing ourselves. I don't think it's coincidence that the issue of gay rights has come to the fore during the same era that heterosexual sex has been decoupled (!) from procreation.

    Lots of research showing same-sex attractions are common across the phyla -- Same-sex behavior seen in nearly all animals

    Revealing Same-Sex Attraction’s Evolutionary Role - please note this is about a hypothesis and not a theory
    The kin selection hypothesis, introduced in the 1970s, proposed a possible advantage homosexuality would have for humans. The hypothesis says that while homosexual individuals do not directly pass on their genes to successive generations by having children, they indirectly spread their genes through their families.

    By devoting their energy to raise their nieces and nephews instead of having children of their own, homosexuals would allow their siblings to have more children and ensure that these offspring live to have children of their own. Thus, homosexual individuals would promote greater reproductive and survival rates of the relatives who share many identical genes with them — including those that may contribute to homosexuality — guaranteeing these genes are passed on to future family members.
    An Australian biologist wrote an article that was published in Dec 2012 about the several veins of research that show the evolutionary benefits of same-sex attraction in humans. He notes not only the Samoan study
    First, there is the idea that homosexual relatives provide exceptional help to their heterosexual relatives who are raising families. Any genes that raise the chances of homosexuality, then, are passed on through relatives. And the extra help means more nieces and nephews carrying those genes.
    but also more recent work in the field.
    The second group of ideas hinges on the idea is that genes that make reproductively successful females can impose costs when they find themselves expressed in males. And the opposite can happen for genes that enhance male fitness. Some support for this idea exists as well, including evidence that families in which females tend to be highly fertile also have a higher proportion of gay men than one might expect by chance.
    One researcher is looking at the possibility that opposite sex characteristics actually aid individuals in finding partners
    Brendan Zietsch . . . argues that genes that raise the chances of an individual being same-sex attracted also massively raise the mating success of heterosexual bearers being reproductively successful.
    and finally there is some recent work in the field of epi-genetics that has relevance in this subject of same sex attractions and why they have lasted despite being, seemingly unlikely to pass to one's descendants if one is attracted to same sex partners.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #530
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scalia Wonders If Same-Sex Parents ‘Harmful’ To Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Lots of research showing same-sex attractions are common across the phyla -- Same-sex behavior seen in nearly all animals

    Revealing Same-Sex Attraction’s Evolutionary Role - please note this is about a hypothesis and not a theory


    An Australian biologist wrote an article that was published in Dec 2012 about the several veins of research that show the evolutionary benefits of same-sex attraction in humans. He notes not only the Samoan study but also more recent work in the field.

    One researcher is looking at the possibility that opposite sex characteristics actually aid individuals in finding partners
    and finally there is some recent work in the field of epi-genetics that has relevance in this subject of same sex attractions and why they have lasted despite being, seemingly unlikely to pass to one's descendants if one is attracted to same sex partners.
    Hmmm. Based on this quote from your own link, I'd say you're overselling the data just a bit.

    "With little acknowledged evidence for the existence of homosexuality in nature, and no sound theories to explain its evolutionary purpose, much of society and science have long viewed same-sex attraction as abnormal and deviant. Only in 1973 did the American Psychiatric Association remove homosexuality from its list of mental disorders.

    Today, we know homosexual behavior occurs in many animals — from beetles to birds to bison — as well as in humans, but scientists still question how such behavior could have arisen naturally."


    I'll be very interested to see where this line of research leads, but the most aggressive claims seem too convenient to be credible.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •